iPhone battery drain

Reaction score
So it appears that the DJI Go pp for the P3 professional drains an iPhone battery very quickly. By the time I go through a couple full flights and two P3 batteries, the iPhone is about to die. The battery is otherwise healthy in the phone, so I'm guessing all the app functionality and pushing back out the GPS information of the phone when doing something like "follow me" is a quick drain on the phone. Does anyone know of a lightnihg pigtail or other device or cabling option to keep the phone charged up or draining slower while you're actually using the app? A real added benefit would be if it pushed voltage back into the controller as well, but it seems to hold up just fine. Thanks

I've not used my iPhone but I have noticed a significant drain on my iPad Mini 2. When I use it on back-to-back flights the iPad gets warmer to the touch than I've noticed before but I wouldn't call it hot.

Remember it's processing a LOT of information when we're flying. I'm sure that accounts for the battery drain.

Which iPhone? My 6+ I can fly 6 batteries to 20% and still have 40% left on it.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

Which iPhone? My 6+ I can fly 6 batteries to 20% and still have 40% left on it.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro
iPhone 6. Wonder if I've just got a fizzling battery or if I have some other processes going on that is dragging it down. Thanks everyone. Sounds like I should keep a Mophie or other handy while I'm charging up the P3 batteries and give the iPhone a shot as well.

iPhone 6. Wonder if I've just got a fizzling battery or if I have some other processes going on that is dragging it down. Thanks everyone. Sounds like I should keep a Mophie or other handy while I'm charging up the P3 batteries and give the iPhone a shot as well.
Put it on airplane mode when you fly-- to cut down on other apps and wifi signal interferrrence.

My 6+ battery gets smoked by the DJI APP. IOS 9 will also now tell you what apps are using battery and DJI is the biggest consumer.

My 6+ battery gets smoked by the DJI APP. IOS 9 will also now tell you what apps are using battery and DJI is the biggest consumer.
After you load your map where you are flying-- put it on airplane mode -- so there aren't several things running in the background-- that will help some

After you load your map where you are flying-- put it on airplane mode -- so there aren't several things running in the background-- that will help some
Indeed. It makes a difference.

Running 2 DJI batteries is not an issue but I'd get nervous on the 3rd.

Just noticed this today on my Note 5. And I haven't even used the app in over a month! Looked today and it used 18 percent of my battery today. App has not been opened!

Indeed. It makes a difference.

Running 2 DJI batteries is not an issue but I'd get nervous on the 3rd.
I have an IPad and it will use about 30% flying 5 batteries.

No. It drains my battery on my iphone 6 very quickly as well. I have learned to make sure I'm at a minimum of 80% before I go fly and I only have 2 batteries so it's ok. Figure about 25% battery loss per DJI battery.

My iPhone 6 Plus gets SMOKED from flying! I figure about 20% per dji battery. I'll try loading the maps then turning on airplane mode and report back.

There are dozens, nay, hundreds of portable battery devices for anything that can suck power out of a USB connection. Get one and toss it in your bag.

And, of course, shut down anything you aren't using, especially things that use radio or GPS.

Two things are responsible for heavy battery drain:

1. Video stream processing
2. Screen brightness

Limit the streaming rate and keep just enough brightness. Obviously use airplane mode and use cached maps.

I flew my P3A with iPad mini 2 with 100% brightness and max streaming rate. After consuming two batteries, iPad charge was showing 85%, thats still very high.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobmyers
Had a great weather today to play with P3A. Im beginning to get my head around lots of things now. BUT iPhone 6 + battery drain ! Its chronic. Next flight im going to try shutting down Phone Location services, Bluetooth will enable aircraft mode and shut down any other apps. Screen is already as low as possible. Any lower brightness will render the screen useless. Fingers, toes crossed.

Had a great weather today to play with P3A. Im beginning to get my head around lots of things now. BUT iPhone 6 + battery drain ! Its chronic. Next flight im going to try shutting down Phone Location services, Bluetooth will enable aircraft mode and shut down any other apps. Screen is already as low as possible. Any lower brightness will render the screen useless. Fingers, toes crossed.
Turn off Hardware Video Decoding. That will eat of lot of battery. I had the same issue until I disabled that.

Reactions: grenville
Also turn off background app refresh. close all other apps, place in airplane mode....

Reactions: grenville
Airplane mode.. Also it may sound simple but many people leave the go app on after they are done flying.. That really drains battery.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl