iPhone 6 - which one to go for?

im using a 5s which works great.
ill wait another 6 months until they release the 6s

in the mean time i think the ipad mini with retina display has the perfect size,weight and resolution.

The iPhone 6 plus will fit in the holder, but it is a tight fit. I made some mock-ups so that I could decide.

I was already to go for the 6 plus until I did the pocket test, a handful of my jeans have pockets that are just about 6 inches deep, the 6 plus is just over 6 inches tall, and as I am not buying the phone just for my fpv, it is also my daily phone, I do not want my phone sticking out of my pocket.

Easy test if you don't want to make cardboard mock-ups, is to stick a ruler in your pocket, if your pockets are less than 7 inches, it will most likely not be comfortable, or possibly fit at all.

So regular 6 for me, witch is still a good increase over the 5/5s. Just my thoughts, but jeans are relatively expensive to replace to hold a phone. (and no, they are not skinny jeans)

I'm wondering if dji is going to re-write the app to take advantage of the increased resolution (on both the 6 and 6 plus). I would prefer to see the entire photo being taken, rather than a slightly smaller version that fills the screen on the iPhone 5.

Sauce said:
I'm wondering if dji is going to re-write the app to take advantage of the increased resolution (on both the 6 and 6 plus). I would prefer to see the entire photo being taken, rather than a slightly smaller version that fills the screen on the iPhone 5.

technically the app will adjust automagically to the new screen sizes... but we, developers, know thats not gonna happen and lots of apps will look like shitty crappy apps...

now we have to design in
1136x640 - 5/5s
1334x750 - 6
1920 x 1080 - 6plus

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    655.7 KB · Views: 405
chapsrlz said:
Sauce said:

technically the app will adjust automagically to the new screen sizes... but we, developers, know thats not gonna happen and lots of apps will look like shitty apps...

scale a 1136 px image to 1920px and ad the retina hd factor.

now we have to design in
1136x640 - 5/5s
1334x750 - 6
1920 x 1080 - 6plus

This shows a comparison between 4", 4.7" and 5.5" screens. Only one is an iPhone, btw before you all start chiming in :D :D :D

[URL=http://s1371.photobucket.com/u...-4B60-AAD2-158B25FA4E46_zpsv74rn59l.jpg[/img][/url]

The 5.5 incher is a monster - you can clearly see the satellite numbers and all the info on the upper right without squinting. I'm leaning towards the 5.5. Pity there wasn't a 32Gb option. I can fill a 16Gb quite easily.

I know it will scale well (I am dabbling in iPhone dev myself) but they could shrink the side controls and info boxes to scale them smaller to the display, and give more room to the video.

I can't believe people would buy any Apple products. The the iPhone 6 is just a massively overpriced Nexus 4 from 2012.

Get an unlocked Nexus 5 - no contract - for $350 and put away the $600 you save for a new camera after your next drone crash. :)

Remember_Tim.jpg

happydays said:
No thanks. I wouldn't like an android device. Just my choice.

That's what my wife said. She was a massive Apple fan. But you get a 30 day return on the Play store so I got her to agree to give it a try.

I got her a Nexus 5, found work-alike apps for all her stuff, moved her music and contacts (made a home page with all her contacts faces so she had a speed dial page). Otherwise I put all her icons in the same place.

After 5 min she said "this new Siri is way smarter than the old one!" She loves Android now but she gave her "beginner" iPhone 4s to our daughter.

happydays said:
Went for the 6 Plus with 64 Gb. Should be ok.
I'm sure you will like the size of the 6 Plus as far as phones go, but the mini iPad is much better for FPV. I found a card reader that plugs into the lightning and can download Picts/vids in the field. Nice to know what I captured before I move on. :D
I also have the Cinemizers which are great in the sun, plug into my pad, or my tiny 5S that I keep with my kit. Maybe keep your old phone just for the wifi and you won't get those annoying phone calls or texts while you're flying! :)

Fplvert said:
happydays said:
I'm sure you will like the size of the 6 Plus as far as phones go, but the mini iPad is much better for FPV. I found a card reader that plugs into the lightning and can download Picts/vids in the field. Nice to know what I captured before I move on. :D
I also have the Cinemizers which are great in the sun, plug into my pad, or my tiny 5S that I keep with my kit. Maybe keep your old phone just for the wifi and you won't get those annoying phone calls or texts while you're flying! :)

I used an iPad too. Great, but heavy. The iPhone 5 was good, but the battery life really was dreadful. Hopefully the 6 Plus will be better in that regard. The larger screen should help too - with my dodgy old mince pies I should be able to see the screen a bit better.

happydays said:
I used an iPad too. Great, but heavy. The iPhone 5 was good, but the battery life really was dreadful. Hopefully the 6 Plus will be better in that regard. The larger screen should help too - with my dodgy old mince pies I should be able to see the screen a bit better.

Was your iPhone 5 affected by the battery problem? Check that link out cause I had mines replaced for free and my phone went from dying at 30% to battery working all day long. :lol:

My son replaced his battery last week in iPhone 5, got an original off ebay for about £5, took him 5 minutes to install.

UrAwFuL said:
happydays said:

Was your iPhone 5 affected by the battery problem? Check that link out cause I had mines replaced for free and my phone went from dying at 30% to battery working all day long. :lol:

Yeah, I checked online but it wasn't one of the ones affected. I think that the problem is that the battery percentage doesn't give great readings. It dies when indicating 30% charge left quite a bit. I have done the let it run out and fully recharge it a few times trick, but it still persisted. If I use the phone now, I always have a morphie in my pocket on standby fro extra juice when needed.

Hopefully the plus will be better in that regard. I have to charge it daily now, but I have a work colleague with a Galaxy and he reports the same thing. I think that once they get to a couple of years old, the batteries aren't that great any more.

This latest iphone is the second most expensive thing ive bought this year next to my phantom. Talk about sticker shock when all is said and done.

Fplvert said:
happydays said:
One feature the 6 displays have is a polarizing filter, which means that it will look much better while wearing polarized sunglasses. That was one of the problems I had. I've also read that the displays look better under bright sunlight. I really hope that is true.

Otherwise I like you're recommendation of using an iPad mini, but I'm wondering if that will be too big for my needs.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie