Ipad ??

I can understand many folks that want to save the $100 for the cellular option in an iPad, and the $10/mo to add an iPad Mini to their cellular bill, but I find having the iPad connected to the internet via cellular all the time a luxury worth having, not having to connect to the phone, etc. It's just a hassle I don't need, and as much as I fly, to me it's worth the $10/mo. But that's just me.

Short story about Wifi connections:
Today I was with ElGuapo flying up in the mountains here in So. Calif. We were both flying our P4P's. He agreed to fly 2.4Ghz while I was on 5.8Ghz, this helps to keep from interfering with each other, which occurs when you're in close proximity to another pilot on the same band. Anyway, things seemed to be going fine, but then ElGuapo starts getting green screen drop outs on his iPad Mini4, FYI I wasn't flying, he was by himself in the air. I've had similar green screen flicker issues on hot days with my iPad Mini2 with the A7 CPU, but not with my iPad Air2 which has the A8 CPU. His iPad mini 4 has the same A8 CPU, it shouldn't have heat issues, but it was a warm day, around 90F (can you imagine, in the local mountains at about 1500' elevation in late Nov, and it's 90F!). So we put an ice pack on the back of the Ipad mini4, but after a few minutes to cool it down, no change. The display did this whether it was at 500' away, 100' away and 35' way, no difference, it was definitely unrelated to distance. So I suggested he switch to 5.8Ghz. The problem went way. So then I ask him if his wifi was turned on the iPad, he said yes. So he tried going back to flying on 2.4Ghz and turned off the iPad wifi, and bingo, no problem anymore with 2.4Ghz. His iPad Wifi (apparently on 2.4Ghz) was hammering the 2.4Ghz video channel from the drone to the RC, while it was searching for an access point. YES, the wifi was disrupting the Lightbridge 2.4Ghz feed to the RC.

With P4 and P4A craft, which only have 2.4Ghz, you may need to turn off your wifi function on all nearby devices if you find yourself getting green screen breakups on an iPad, or Android devices while flying.

Last edited:
I can understand many folks that want to save the $100 for the cellular option in an iPad, and the $10/mo to add an iPad Mini to their cellular bill, but I find having the iPad connected to the internet via cellular all the time a luxury worth having, not having to connect to the phone, etc. It's just a hassle I don't need, and as much as I fly, to me it's worth the $10/mo. But that's just me.

Short story about Wifi connections:
Today I was with ElGuapo flying up in the mountains here in So. Calif. We were both flying our P4P's. He agreed to fly 2.4Ghz while I was on 5.8Ghz, this helps to keep from interfering with each other, which occurs when you're in close proximity to another pilot on the same band. Anyway, things seemed to be going fine, but then ElGuapo starts getting green screen drop outs on his iPad Mini4, FYI I wasn't flying, he was by himself in the air. I've had similar green screen flicker issues on hot days with my iPad Mini2 with the A7 CPU, but not with my iPad Air2 which has the A8 CPU. His iPad mini 4 has the same A8 CPU, it shouldn't have heat issues, but it was a warm day, around 90F (can you imagine, in the local mountains at about 1500' elevation in late Nov, and it's 90F!). So we put an ice pack on the back of the Ipad mini4, but after a few minutes to cool it down, no change. The display did this whether it was at 500' away, 100' away and 35' way, no difference, it was definitely unrelated to distance. So I suggested he switch to 5.8Ghz. The problem went way. So then I ask him if his wifi was turned on the iPad, he said yes. So he tried going back to flying on 2.4Ghz and turned off the iPad wifi, and bingo, no problem anymore with 2.4Ghz. His iPad Wifi (apparently on 2.4Ghz) was hammering the 2.4Ghz video channel from the drone to the RC, while it was searching for an access point. YES, the wifi was disrupting the Lightbridge 2.4Ghz feed to the RC.

With P4 craft, which only has 2.4Ghz, you may need to turn off your wifi function on all nearby devices if you find yourself getting green screen breakups on an iPad, or Android devices while flying.
This is where the old extra channel hack works, moves the video downink outside the standard wifi allocations.

I’m with you re the convenience of paying a bit extra for the cellular iPads and sticking a SIM card in them.

Reactions: flaviove
This is where the old extra channel hack works, moves the video downink outside the standard wifi allocations.
Yes, the 32ch hack is very helpful, but I'm reading reports that the latest GO app for P4 does not work with the hack anymore. If that's true then that's a good reason not to upgrade your GO app to the latest version. Channel 32 is the bomb.

John Locke, thank you that makes a lot of sense. I am leaning towards
Ipad4 cellular now.Here is a question for you. What doe's the WiFi do??
If I am flying my p4 with my Ipad mini2 do I need the WiFi on at all??

One more question for msinger or John L Ipad or Crystal Sky??
Are you hungry for an apple or an orange? :)

You really need to weigh the pros/cons to determine what will fit your needs best.

I just got in from flying turned off WiFi on my Ipad everything worked great. thanks for all help.

One more question for msinger or John L Ipad or Crystal Sky??
I'd like to consider a Crystalsky, but I need to see the ULTRA version with 2000 nit screen, which is just starting to ship. I think I will like it. I would still have my iPad for third party apps since Crystalsky doesn't support third party apps, but hopefully I will fly with a super bright Crystalsky screen most the time. However Crystalsky has got to work with 1.3.509 firmware on my P4P, otherwise I'm sticking with my iPad Air 2. I'm not going to upgrade craft firmware just to have Crystalsky, since my capabilities with 1.3.509 far outweigh having a bright screen. For others with firmware newer than 1.3.509 it's a different decision.

My wifi only iPad Pro is always asking about my location. And there's always a map showing in Litchi.

My wifi-only iPad also asks me about location, and displays my location correctly on a variety of apps. However, out in the wilderness away from wifi it has no clue as to where I am. I suspect either the ipad is able to get this information from the internet somehow, either there's a database of wifi sources and their gps locations or it's getting gps info from my iphone over Apple's cloud.

Reactions: RémyHeli
John,when I asked What does WiFi do you said nothing if you have cellular.What if you don't have cellular?

John,when I asked What does WiFi do you said nothing if you have cellular.What if you don't have cellular?
You can connect the tablet to your phone's access point via WiFi to download maps at the flight location. However you can download those at home if you prefer to not use your cellphone for an access point. If it's an iPad, the wifi cannot use a cellphone access point connection to get GPS location. For that the iPad must have cellular support, however you don't need to be connected to a cell service with the iPad (a cellular iPad with no data plan) for the GPS to work. FYI, I've never done that, so I'm not talking first hand.

It's important to know, if your tablet has WiFi ON, and is not connected to an access point, fixed on a specific channel, the tablet will hunt for an access point, endlessly. This could easily interfere with your craft video downlink, every time it pings the same frequency you're flying on. I described this problem in post #21 above. which happened to my friend last Saturday. After the WiFi was turned off on his iPad, the green screens went away.

You can connect the tablet to your phone's access point via WiFi to download maps at the flight location. However you can download those at home if you prefer to not use your cellphone for an access point. If it's an iPad, the wifi cannot use a cellphone access point connection to get GPS location. For that the iPad must have cellular support, however you don't need to be connected to a cell service with the iPad (a cellular iPad with no data plan) for the GPS to work. FYI, I've never done that, so I'm not talking first hand.

It's important to know, if your tablet has WiFi ON, and is not connected to an access point, fixed on a specific channel, the tablet will hunt for an access point, endlessly. This could easily interfere with your craft video downlink, every time it pings the same frequency you're flying on. I described this problem in post #21 above. which happened to my friend last Saturday. After the WiFi was turned off on his iPad, the green screens went away.

I do also have an ancient first generation iPad with cellular (but no service) that I used to record my travels in the bush in Senegal without issue using an app called Maps 3D. Imagine my disappointment when I tried to do the same thing with a third generation wifi only iPad in Cote d'Ivoire - I had to use my phome instead.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pitchpost