Ipad ??

Reaction score
I Have a ipad mini 2 Lately its been skipping,lines through the picture, just does not seem to be working right. So I I thinking of up grading to a new Ipad mini 4 or should I go with the
crystal sky ?? The crystal seems pricey I just don't know if that's what I need.I am not a professional just a hobbyist.I fly the p4 original any suggestions ?? Do I go with the Ipad
mini4 with wi-fi or the Ipad with Cellular ?? I really would like some suggestions.

Do I go with the Ipad mini4 with wi-fi or the Ipad with Cellular?
If you decide to go with an iPad Mini 4, the Wi-Fi only model will be fine if you don't use the Follow Me flight mode or ever need to manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off. Those functions require GPS on the mobile device (which only cellular Apple models have).

Reactions: gerfoto
You'll need a cellular model for sure then (no need to activate the cell service if you don't want to). The CrystalSky also has a built-in GPS receiver.

Another consideration is whether you may have a need to install 3rd party apps, not a straight forward proposition with the crystal sky. If you don’t need the brightness other options may serve you better. As to needing to use follow me with a non GPS device you might consider autopilot, you can enter other devices into airspace which gives a lot of flexibility.

Personally I have no need for the display brightness (I fly early or late as I greatly prefer the lighting) so it is an unnecessary feature. It depends on your application and use.

I do love this hobby But sometimes its so hard to figure out what you
need. I would just like to fly a little farther (6000-to-8000 ft.) and be able
to see the screen when I am doing this. Is this that hard to figure out??
It seem it is!!

I do love this hobby But sometimes its so hard to figure out what you
need. I would just like to fly a little farther (6000-to-8000 ft.) and be able
to see the screen when I am doing this. Is this that hard to figure out??
It seem it is!!
It’s not hard at all- subject to you explaining what you need so people have a chance of offering recommendations. We now know what your after, a bright screen that can run latest version of go reliably with GPS. The crystal sky fits the bill (unless you want native support for third part flight apps). Late model cellular iPads will also be fine with the exception of using in bright sunlight. There are plenty of android devices that seemingly work well also, worthy of consideration if you don’t mind troubleshooting occasionally with connection issues some report on.

No device will give you better range, this is determined exclusively by the AC and controller.

WiFi one is all you need. Just use your phone as a hot spot.
The OP wants to use the Follow Me flight mode. So, a Wi-Fi only device is not going to make the cut.

Reactions: Yenrab
But by hooking to the phone it is connected to the internet and has gps.
Tethering an iPad Mini to a phone will only share the Internet connection. It will not share GPS data.

Tethering an iPad Mini to a phone will only share the Internet connection. It will not share GPS data.
I don't want to start a discussion on the Android vs iPad debate but I have a standard as well and an Android tablet and the follow me mode works fine and I do not have cellular service on the tablet.

I don't want to start a discussion on the Android vs iPad debate but I have a standard as well and an Android tablet and the follow me mode works fine and I do not have cellular service on the tablet.
Yep. Android devices are great when they work and for some they work without issues. I raised the point with the OP as they don’t seem prepared to have to fiddle around working through issues. I know I got to the point where I would rather be flying reliably than troubleshooting.

Reactions: Yenrab
It's necessary to start such a discussion in this case since only cellular Apple devices contain a GPS receiver. No Wi-Fi only Apple device contains a GPS receiver.

I've never seen a non-cellular Android device that does not contain a GPS receiver. Check the specs for your device. It must have a GPS receiver if you're able to use Follow Me.

Reactions: With The Birds
It's necessary to start such a discussion in this case since only cellular Apple devices contain a GPS receiver. No Wi-Fi only Apple device contains a GPS receiver.

I've never seen a non-cellular Android device that does not contain a GPS receiver. Check the specs for your device. It must have a GPS receiver if you're able to use Follow Me.
My IPad Air is always asking me to know my location, especially Google. AirMap always shows my location when I’m on WiFi. Sorry, I don’t understand.

I glad to see a lot of people talking about this. I am think I have two or three choices. 1.Crystal sky which is expensive.
2. I pad with cellular.
3. The mini Ipad-4
I am thinking going with the mini-4 and if I want to use the follow me mode
I will use my I phone That I already have anyway. How often do you really
use this mode.I have not used it yet.I just wanted to try it because its there. I really just want to fly with a screen that does not flicker all the time.
And yes I know what every I choose It's not going to do anything as far as helping with the distance I want. That's a hole other subject.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT