iPad Wifi to iPhone question

Reaction score
Hello Phantomers....

I have a question...I have been told/advised that when flying the Phantomness it's advised to turn wifi off on your phone/pad....however, if I have an iPad with only wifi, can I connect the iPad (connected to controller) to the iPhone via wifi to get live maps etc without having issues?

Don;t want to part with good money if not advised...

If not, is there a solution??

I would advise to never turn off your device while flying. Ha
Yes, I know what you really meant. Chuckles...
True, No, you don't need wifi enabled on the device, while you fly. I just put my iPad in Airplane mode. And leave it there.
Maps can be cached while you are in a wifi hotspot. Be it at home, or you may use your cell phone.

Turn on 'Cache Maps In Background' In the Go app.
Open map view, scroll to your intended flight area, and pinch the map open, larger, open it up, as close to the ground as it will go, now move it around, exposing the areas surrounding your intended flight location. When you turn off the device, the map should still be there, when you arrive at the location you intend to fly.

It's not felable, and it doesn't always stick, but most of the time, your map will be there. You can certainly fly without the map, but it is a nice option to have running.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
We turn off wifi and other apps during flying as we need our tablet to have full processing capacity devoted to video processing for a smooth display. We also don't like to receive notifications etc during flights. As time passes by better devices with higher processing capabilities will be / are available and such restrictions can be lowered to owners choice.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You actually cache your flight map, right in the Go app.
While at home or wherever wifi is available, turn on the RC, drone and Go app. Once it declares the Home Point had been located, open the map view, and slide it to wherever you are going to be flying that day. Move it around, beyond where you intend to fly. The map automatically will be stored for near future use.

Try it at home and see how it works, just cache a map of your neighborhood, turn off the app. Then go outside, beyond your wireless wifi network and turn it back on, to check it out.

For my drone, I use a dedicated iPad Air2 Cellular, and use my old iPad3 for web browsing, game play and other reality behaviors.

RedHotPoker

We turn off wifi and other apps during flying as we need our tablet to have full processing capacity devoted to video processing for a smooth display. We also don't like to receive notifications etc during flights. As time passes by better devices with higher processing capabilities will be / are available and such restrictions can be lowered to owners choice.

I am still waiting, for the much anticipated announcement, that the iPad Air3 128gb Cellular is on the Apple Store shelf... Many Months and full moons, have already passed. So I ponder the question, What happened?? ;-)

RedHotPoker

Hello Phantomers....

I have a question...I have been told/advised that when flying the Phantomness it's advised to turn wifi off on your phone/pad....however, if I have an iPad with only wifi, can I connect the iPad (connected to controller) to the iPhone via wifi to get live maps etc without having issues?

Just to clarify...

Yes you can use wifi when you forget to cache a map.
When you get to your location setup your hotspot, turn on your wifi, let the app download the map (select a larger map area than needed). Then you can turn off wifi once the map is fully loaded.

You can fly with wifi on some do it all the time, another member has stated why we usually don't. Sometimes I forget to turn off wifi after loading up the map and it hasn't caused me any grief, but I also have a fast dedicated flying tablet.

I am using one bluetooth GPS receiver bought in Amazon when I fly with my Ipad Air wifi. And everything works better with a high signal. Without these receiver the follow me funtion did not work at all.

I have a wifi only iPad Air 2. I fly either connected to Comcast wireless hotspots (if available) or tethered to my iPhone 6s. I leave everything on, bluetooth, wifi, cell... Cell phone is always in my pocket. I've even answered calls and checked email and forum posts while flying...Never had an issue and have flown out beyond 11mi.

Hello Phantomers....

I'm one of the people that does it all the time without issue...

Last edited:
I am still waiting, for the much anticipated announcement, that the iPad Air3 128gb Cellular is on the Apple Store shelf... Many Months and full moons, have already passed. So I ponder the question, What happened?? ;-)

RedHotPoker

It's on my shopping list too.

It seems to have been taken off of the radar... It was such a good fantasy... ;-)

RedHotPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl