iPad Pro 10.5" + P4P = Perfect Combo

Buying a used iPad Pro 9.7 is also an awesome solution. I got the cellular model for the gps but never activated the cell plan. So I have gps and tether if I need data.

And yep I got 128gb because I work with photo apps. I find that it’s incredibly useful for other things besides just flying.

My iPad Pro 10.5 must be defective. It’s NOWHERE NEAR as bright as CrystalSky... And I find it difficult to view decently in bright sun here in Texas at full brightness. It’s “viewable”, but not to my liking. YMMV

Buying a used iPad Pro 9.7 is also an awesome solution. I got the cellular model for the gps but never activated the cell plan. So I have gps and tether if I need data.

And yep I got 128gb because I work with photo apps. I find that it’s incredibly useful for other things besides just flying.

That's actually quite clever. Didn't think of that one. So basically data is less important than GPS in some ways.

Well data is not needed to fly and at any rate where I fly most often there’s no cell signal. Only the initial login I will need a data connection. YMMV

That's actually quite clever. Didn't think of that one. So basically data is less important than GPS in some ways.
The data is used to acquire the map of the area, and locate the drone if it crashes. That data can be acquired through your phone hotspot if needed.

Last edited:
This is a misnomer. Yes you can get maps but the lack of gps will not accurately show location. Using an external gps unit with Bluetooth will work. Tethering on provides data. Not gps.
If you download the map via phone hotspot, the drone should accurately show up in the map you have in the iPad, even without GPS support in a WiFi only iPad.

Maps are maps. The gps is what places you on the map. No gps. Then it uses cellular tower triangulation. But it’s not very accurate especially if you are in the middle of nowhere.

My iPad Pro 10.5 must be defective. It’s NOWHERE NEAR as bright as CrystalSky... And I find it difficult to view decently in bright sun here in Texas at full brightness. It’s “viewable”, but not to my liking. YMMV
Use a hood or a black cloth over your head "the old fashioned way" for a better viewing experience, while flying in direct sun, with no shade to fly from.

Reactions: ravedog
Maps are maps. The gps is what places you on the map. No gps. Then it uses cellular tower triangulation. But it’s not very accurate especially if you are in the middle of nowhere.
The GPS that places you on the map is from the drone at launch when it sets the Home Point, not from the iPad, unless you reset it during flight, because you have moved, and you have GPS at the iPad from the iPad itself, or an external BT GPS connected to the iPad.

The drone has GPS, and places itself on the map that you can download via hotspot. You know where you and the RC are located on the map, hopefully. You don't know where the drone is when beyond VLOS, unless you have a map to allow the drone to send it's GPS coordinates to the RC, and place itself on the screen's map, accurately. No towers needed.

The drone has GPS, and places itself on the map that you can download via hotspot. You know where you and the RC are located on the map, hopefully. You don't know where the drone is when beyond VLOS, unless you have a map to allow the drone to send it's GPS coordinates to the RC, and place itself on the screen's map, accurately. No towers needed.

An Interesting subject GPS coordinates info., incorporated into the DJI GO App. This informative feature is nothing new, and has been around for some time now on other such flight software programs.
So, with all the various upgrades DJI has incorporated into there Flight App over the last several yrs. I would have thought GPS coordinates would have since been introduced.
Then again maybe it has, and I've simply missed something along the way. : )

An Interesting subject GPS coordinates info., incorporated into the DJI GO App. This informative feature is nothing new, and has been around for some time now on other such flight software programs.
So, with all the various upgrades DJI has incorporated into there Flight App over the last several yrs. I would have thought GPS coordinates would have since been introduced.
Then again maybe it has, and I've simply missed something along the way. : )
They are recorded in the video file and in the flight log, assuming you have subtitles turned on during recording.

Reactions: Skynet1
Is there any difference in practice between:
1. iPad (or any other tablet) on rc with wifi and a hot spotting (tethering) mobile phone.
2. Tablet with built-in cellular with its own sim (then the phone is not used at all).

I have been eying the iPad Pro 10.5 to pair it up with my Phantom, but I don't know what to think about that cellular aspect. It seems like the cellular "extra" is ridiculously expensive for what you get (especially as tethering from the phone is so easy and reliable nowadays). But I don't quite get how it all works together with the drone.

I understand also that it's one more device and one more step to get flying, but other than that?

And what do you think about the storage space regarding the iPad. 128 or 256 seems like the way to go, but is huge inbuilt storage unnecessary somehow? I'm not used to iOS stuff, so probably I'm a little bit too paranoid about what you can and can't do on it...

Coming from someone that can't afford what they 'really want' right now (I'd have P4P rather than P3P if I could afford it).
I got tired of DJI GO crashing in the K1 Tablet (I waited almost a YEAR for DJI to fix that issue) so I bought a Brand New 9.7" 32GB Tab S2 and guess what, DJI GO wouldn't even connect to my P3P so I returned it and got my $300 back, then walked over and played with "Fruit" for the 1st time ever = fell in love with the Pro 10.5 (partly because I can/will use the slow motion video to help tune Dragbike Chassis at the track).
So I got the 64GB Pro 10.5 and have only used 11.8GB so far (includes added apps and 4.3GB of pictures/videos that I want to keep in it) so 64 is going to be fine for what I want/need.

I will get a GPS eventually but the Home point (drone's take off location) is all that's needed for RTH to work if/when needed and that's always set via drone GPS before it takes off.

I saw someone post that they don't care if they don't have a map to look at (my words) but that would drive me crazy, and that's where/when the Cell/Data is need.
So as said in post #51 I cache the map(s) at home before I go out flying (this includes maps that are more than 275 miles away) and I'm fine with doing that for now...

Well data is not needed to fly and at any rate where I fly most often there’s no cell signal. Only the initial login I will need a data connection. YMMV
So you can't take off without logging in? I have only used my phone, (and now it's too cold to test) so I have never even thought of trying.

I got tired of DJI GO crashing in the K1 Tablet (I waited almost a YEAR for DJI to fix that issue) so I bought a Brand New 9.7" 32GB Tab S2 and guess what, DJI GO wouldn't even connect to my P3P so I returned it and got my $300 back, then walked over and played with "Fruit" for the 1st time ever = fell in love with the Pro 10.5 (partly because I can/will use the slow motion video to help tune Dragbike Chassis at the track).
So I got the 64GB Pro 10.5 and have only used 11.8GB so far (includes added apps and 4.3GB of pictures/videos that I want to keep in it) so 64 is going to be fine for what I want/need.

I will get a GPS eventually but the Home point (drone's take off location) is all that's needed for RTH to work if/when needed and that's always set via drone GPS before it takes off.

I saw someone post that they don't care if they don't have a map to look at (my words) but that would drive me crazy, and that's where/when the Cell/Data is need.
So as said in post #51 I cache the map(s) at home before I go out flying (this includes maps that are more than 275 miles away) and I'm fine with doing that for now...
I had a couple of hiccups with my Android phone to start looking at the "fruit option" for added stability. I was always able to get the bird back, but it's not very reassuring to have the app crash and disconnect from the drone several times without no reason.

The main reason for getting a cellular version of the iPad Pro 10.5 (or 9.7) for myself would therefore be to be able to update the home point after takeoff. I have a project in mind that requires me to be able to move over some distance and also involves a boat. I guess updating the home point is not necessary, but perhaps adds another layer of security...

So you can't take off without logging in? I have only used my phone, (and now it's too cold to test) so I have never even thought of trying.

You have to login to your DJI account for it to basically unlock it. Otherwise you are extremely restricted in flight. However, once unlocked you will not need to do it again and won’t need a data connection.

The main reason for getting a cellular version of the iPad Pro 10.5 (or 9.7) for myself would therefore be to be able to update the home point after takeoff. I have a project in mind that requires me to be able to move over some distance and also involves a boat. I guess updating the home point is not necessary, but perhaps adds another layer of security...
Correct. The cell model with give you that GPS for your situation. The other option is to get a Wi-Fi model and use something like the bad elf gps pro via Bluetooth. The iPad will see that as a valid gps source as if it had one internally.

If you ever need data, together off your mobile phone.

Plus you won’t be unhappy with the stability of iOS. At least compared to android with go 4. I also if you haven’t gotten one yet a used 9.7 pro is more than enough and will last you. And it fits in the cradle without any mods. Cheaper too

They are recorded in the video file and in the flight log, assuming you have subtitles turned on during recording.

Good to know, I've always been an avid believer that the less things running in the background the less likelihood of any possible shortcomings with the App itself, disruption of video signal, etc.
I would have rather had DJI place any GPS coordinates info. directly onto the flight monitor for a better perspective of where the model is at any given moment, rather than a review after the fact on post recorded video/flight log data, just a personal preference.
As part of the DJI GO App this feature would certainly be useful in S&R efforts and the like via immediate relay of such info. to any on the ground assets available, were my thoughts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers