Ipad Mini overheating and shutting down mid flight

Reaction score
Anyone use an IPAD Mini for a screen on your controller and have it overheat and go black on you until it cools down. This happened to me today. Still able to control the drone and bring it down close to the ground and hover over a safe area ... moved in some shade and took approx 2 -3 min for the Ipad to cool down and screen come back up to allow me to land.

Not sure which one but it was 87 degrees and was in the sun for 30 minutes had to switch batteries and about 3 minutes into the second battery the IPAD gave me a black screen with a pic of a thermostat and a message overheated cannot continue until cool down.

I have an iPad mini 4. If I forget to close an App or it gets hot I lose/freeze video transmission. Pain in the ***.
Yes, any background apps still running is not good! I’ve not tried it by deleting all unnecessary apps. You really should have a tablet dedicated for your flying. I use a Samsung Tablet G now and it works great, brighter screen also.

Reactions: Capt KO
I gave up on the iPad Mini 4 years ago! The iPad Mini 5 works fine with the X-Naut cooling case into the low 90's, but you need to keep it out of direct sunlight heat once you are in the upper 80's.

I am also looking at this new product - if they come out with an iPad Mini 6 version:

Reactions: KachemakDiver
Yes, any background apps still running is not good! I’ve not tried it by deleting all unnecessary apps. You really should have a tablet dedicated for your flying. I use a Samsung Tablet G now and it works great, brighter screen also.
What is the exact model and size so that I can look it up...Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20