iPad Mini 4 with Wi-Fi + HotSpot

That was my question exactly. Thanks for clearing that up. It would be nice not to have to cache maps before I head out. I'll give it a shot. Do you agree that I should tether over Bluetooth instead of WiFi so I don't run into any interference issues?
I have not had any interference issues tethering with wifi and using blue tooth for my gps device. I think it's a non issue. The other reason for using a separate gps device is for the next time I want to upgrade my iPad, I don't have to spend the extra $$$ for cellular.

I have not had any interference issues tethering with wifi and using blue tooth for my gps device. I think it's a non issue. The other reason for using a separate gps device is for the next time I want to upgrade my iPad, I don't have to spend the extra $$$ for cellular.

Thanks for letting me know! Haven't had a chance to get out and test this yet...

I use the Garmin Glo with my iPad Air 2 and it work great. It is a blue tooth device that is very small and I put it in my shirt pocket so it is always at the location of the RC.

I have a wifi only mini and it's a pain in the butt. Switched over to my iPhone 6s until the new smaller iPad Pro is released. My advice is to plunk down a bit of extra cash and get the cellular version with the GPS radio. A few things to remember:

a. You don't need to activate the cellular plan. The GPS is going to work perfectly. You can always tether to your phone and cache the maps on the GO app, then untether.

b. When flying turn off wifi, and enable Do Not Disturb (if you don't want call or text rings while you fly). I see people saying to enable Airplane Mode. Don't do it. Apple's iOS updates are notorious for letting the GPS radio still work in one release version during Airplane Mode, then completely changing that to not working in the next release.

ps. GPS data does not transfer from your phone to a wifi only tablet via tethering. Without a true GPS radio, your location has the potential of being significantly wrong - depending on a lot of factors.
why would you turn off wi-fi dont you need it to connect to aircraft? Sorry for what might seem like a dumb question very new to this new hobby

why would you turn off wi-fi dont you need it to connect to aircraft? Sorry for what might seem like a dumb question very new to this new hobby
This is the Pro/Adv forum, so wifi is not needed for those models to connect to mobile devices. The P3S needs wifi however.

Reactions: JoBe

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1