iPad Mini 4 flickering video

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchased an iPad mini 4 w/ cellular. When I hooked it up to my phantom 4 remote today the video was flickering a lot. Sometimes I got a message saying image transmission error, etc. I was just testing so the p4 was right next to me on the floor.

I normally use the iPad Air 2. I plugged the iPad Air 2 back in and no issues whatsoever.

I know that the processor on the iPad Air 2 is a little faster but shouldn't the iPad mini 4 work as well? It's a clean install on a new tablet and was rebooted just before starting dji go. I'm on the latest firmware and app.

I have hardware video encoding enabled.

Any ideas? I would prefer to use the iPad mini 4 since the iPad Air 2 actually belongs to my wife. I also wanted to get an iPad mini 4 to possibly someday use it with my mavic pro (whenever that arrives in a month or so).

I know that the processor on the iPad Air 2 is a little faster but shouldn't the iPad mini 4 work as well?
Yes. I've never experienced this with my iPad Mini 4.

You might want install "System Status Light" and share performance. Looking ie CPU usage with Mini 4 just running this tool should not exceed 10% avg. Then when running GO app in parallel without aircraft connected, being within app and no camera image; when pressing home button twice to display both apps CPU usage should not exceed 70%. Also temp at back of Mini 4 should be warm after 5-10 minutes but not hot.
c8982677c036b964fc5bf2b8398605b0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
i ran some tests today and it was unusable with the ipad mini 4 for me. i guess i'll have to sell it and will go back to using the ipad air 2. weird that it just doesn't work for me. i did a factory reset on the ipad mini 4 so it was a clean install, etc.

See CCDD experience for clean install;

"You'll need to place the Mini in recovery mode. Turn off your iPad and hold down the home button as you plug it in to iTunes on your Mac or PC. You can let go once you see the iTunes connection appear on your screen. From there you can completely wipe the iPad and restore to factory settings. Upon completion, you'll need to set up the iPad as new and not restore it from a prior backup. I had to go through this for days before it was figured out. I was also on 2.4.3 however, I think this is the only was to fix you issue."

iPad mini 4 - not connecting- NOW SOLVED :-)

Last edited:
i tried this but it didn't work. i was using a new ipad mini 4 so i had just set it up fresh a few days ago so i didn't think it'd be any different.

however, i did pair a gl300b remote to my phantom 4 with the ipad mini 4 and i stopped getting the image transmission errors and the screen looked good. this was just in home testing in the basement. i'll try to find time for a flight test tomorrow but i'm hoping that i'll be good now and it was something with my gl300c remote.

i took my gl300c remote (the one i was having problems with) and paired it with my old p3p and it seems to work find on that bird with the ipad mini 4 as well so i'll probably just use it this way.

Thanks for update. FYI users reported video downlink issues with RC firmware 1.8.0 GL300C and iOS GO app 3.0.2. Looks like some found workaround by changing video downlink rate from auto to manual 4mbps.

Last edited:
Last Tuesday craft firmware update should resolve this issue with following combination:
RC: 1.8.0 - iOS GO app: 3.0.2 - P4: 1.2.602
(and current iOS 10.1.1)

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20