iPad mini 2 vs mini 3/4

Reaction score
I ordered the Mavic. It's my first DJI product. My kids both have an iPad mini 2. I'm thinking about using them (with an adapter to make it fit in the controller). I figure you Phantom owners are the experts on what works best with the Go app. Is there any reason (performance, stuttering, etc) to upgrade to a mini 3 or 4?

Mini 2 is way too heavy compared to the Mini 4 and would unuly stress any adapter designed for the Mini 4 for the Mavic. Get a Mini 4. It's significantly faster at everything, too!

I ordered the Mavic. It's my first DJI product. My kids both have an iPad mini 2. I'm thinking about using them (with an adapter to make it fit in the controller). I figure you Phantom owners are the experts on what works best with the Go app. Is there any reason (performance, stuttering, etc) to upgrade to a mini 3 or 4?

I found the iPad mini 2 would glitch out with green lines and blocks on the screen when I used it with my Phantom 4.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Try mini 2 before buying mini 4. If you are happy then buy higher versions for a reason to improve the performance.

Reactions: Walkers13
Is there any reason (performance, stuttering, etc) to upgrade to a mini 3 or 4?
The iPad Mini 2 and 3 have the same processor. Upgrade to the iPad Mini 4 if you want something better.

I love my mini 2 with my P3A I thought of upgrading it to 4 but no sense of doing it. A buddy of mine has a 4 and its slightly faster and they've added an anti reflection layer to the screen but when you're out in the sun is not that much different than my 2. Just make sure to turn the luminosity up

Reactions: stealle
I love my mini 2 with my P3A I thought of upgrading it to 4 but no sense of doing it. A buddy of mine has a 4 and its slightly faster and they've added an anti reflection layer to the screen but when you're out in the sun is not that much different than my 2. Just make sure to turn the luminosity up

Thanks! When you say the 4 is "faster" are you just referring to things like opening the Go app or do you notice any more stuttering or lag in the live feed of the mini 2 in comparison to your friends mini 4?

I own both an iPad Mini 2 and an iPad Mini 4. I don't notice lag/stutter in DJI GO when using either device.

I've been running my P3Pro on a Mini2 since day(18 months ago) and have had no glitches what so ever. But for transparency this is dedicated to sUAS use only and nothing else is on the iPad other than aps pertaining to flight.

I own both a Mini 2 and a Mini 4 as well. Mini 4 weighs 299g and Mini 2 weighs 331g. That extra ounce makes a big difference while handholding a Mini. For the small difference in price (you can get a refurbished Mini 4 directly from Apple for almost the same price as a new Mini 2), get the Mini 4. It is two generations newer than the Mini 2, and almost as fast as the Air 2, and will support anything you throw at it. Older devices may still run DJI Go, but the app will continue to be optimized for the newest hardware, which also is optimized for the latest iOS version.

Thanks! When you say the 4 is "faster" are you just referring to things like opening the Go app or do you notice any more stuttering or lag in the live feed of the mini 2 in comparison to your friends mini 4?

Yeah just between apps but you really don't notice while in the dji app

I've a P4P and Ipad Mini 2. Lot of lag, green screen and glitches in the video live feed. I'm planning to move to ipad mini4
Hope this help

Try running your iPad Mini with these settings.
HI, thank you for suggestion. I've already tried those settings. Helpful but not enough...i suspect that the new DJGO4 app is more demanding then old DJGO app. The only way i've found to reduce lag/glitches and green screens is to low the video feed from 10mbps to 6mbps..those resulting in a more fluid video view but poorer quality.

What I have noticed most is the A7 CPU in the mini2 and mini3 runs hotter than the A8 in mini 4. In ambient temps above 90F my mini 2 will overheat and the GO apps stops working until the iPad cools down. As for lag, I see no difference between A7 and A8, both work great.

ipad mini 2 runs perfectly fine for me, never had one issue.
ipad mini 2 has bigger battery then ipad mini 4

old thread.. but yeah, i get tons of lag on the streaming feed using iPad Mini 2 and P4. my iPhone 6 is much better.. think I need to purchase a mini 4

My iPad 2 has only 180 to 220's lag, which is average. It should work fine. Double check your settings to insure you have hardware decoding on. The iPad mini3 has the same a7 CPU as the iPad mini 2. The iPad mini 4 has a8, which runs cooler, but no faster for the app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.