iOSD mini and the CAN-BUS

Reaction score
I am finally to the point of installing the iOSD mini for the telemetry data in my FPV system. I want to install it internally (clean look) and after researching youtube videos, etc, it appears I need to detach the CAN-BUS from the leg and place it internally.

My question is two-fold.

1. What is the function of the CAN-BUS?

2. Is there any fallback/issues of moving it inside the shell? Afterall, I would think DJI had it down the leg for a reason.

Thanks

CAN-BUS is a type of data connector, on a P2 I think the only devices that use it are the iOSD Mini and the Ground Station BT link.

Indeed, most of us move that plug up into the shell and put the iOSD Mini internally for a cleaner look, no issues. The iOSD Mini doesn't get hot or need airflow like is recommended for FPV transmitters... THOSE should be left on the outside of the shell

A video someone has made showing a way to put the iOSD mini inside.

http://youtu.be/v91nelBVoH0

I've just looked, but can't find it, there is a video of someone who disassembled the iOSD before installing it

Buk said:
disassembled the iOSD before installing it

you mean like, removing the black plastic case?

Yep, stripped it down to the board inside. I'll continue to look for the video.

QYV said:
CAN-BUS is a type of data connector, on a P2 I think the only devices that use it are the iOSD Mini and the Ground Station BT link
Flytrex now do a can-bus lead for the 3G live

p fandango said:
QYV said:
CAN-BUS is a type of data connector, on a P2 I think the only devices that use it are the iOSD Mini and the Ground Station BT link
Flytrex now do a can-bus lead for the 3G live
yeah but it is like $40 dang

Buk said:
Yep, stripped it down to the board inside. I'll continue to look for the video.

I actually did that on my first Phantom. there's just 4 screws on the iOSD mini, then the black plastic shell comes right off.... then there's just the board/cable inside.

Hoping today I can get some work bench time. I am planning on removing the canbus connector and shortening the cable.

PhantomPhreak said:
Hoping today I can get some work bench time. I am planning on removing the canbus connector and shortening the cable.

WHY :?:

jason said:
PhantomPhreak said:

WHY :?:
I usually ask why not, if no negatives I do it. Cleaner install, getting rid of unused connector and about 10" of cabling. I am going to shorten the Flytrex cable too. I mounted the transmitter inside.

[quote="PhantomPhreakI usually ask why not, if no negatives I do it. Cleaner install, getting rid of unused connector and about 10" of cabling. I am going to shorten the Flytrex cable too. I mounted the transmitter inside.[/quote]

Post pictures of your cable shortening mod. Interesting.

I did the same. Cut my cable down to reduce space and weight as i also mounted not just my iosd mini internally but also my video transmitter. So much cleaner now

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl