IOS or Android tablet

I had the Nvidea tablet for a week and hated it. Got the iPad mini4. Soooooooooo much better!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I am very much an IOS person - laptops, computers, phone, but in the UK a 16GB mini4 with cellular is over £400 whereas the Shield 1 when it comes to UK next week is just £150. Unfortunately not sure i can justify the difference unless I can persuade my better half she needs an iPad !

So am I right to think that any android tablet will not offer the zoom function?? I only have an iPad mini 1 and that's not powerful enough :-(

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have an android tablet so haven't used the zoom function.

Is it any different to shooting 4k and cropping to 1080 in post so that's it's "zoomed"
I'm guessing you can only zoom in 1080?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I am very much an IOS person - laptops, computers, phone, but in the UK a 16GB mini4 with cellular is over £400 whereas the Shield 1 when it comes to UK next week is just £150. Unfortunately not sure i can justify the difference unless I can persuade my better half she needs an iPad !

That persuasion ability can be easier than you think... Anyway, you may save some pounds going for the non cellular if you do not plan to make use of flight modes requiring operator GPS positioning (follow me, Autopilot advanced modes, etc). You could even add an external bluetooth GPS module later if you changed your mind (e.g., garmin GLO), or just use your iPhone in case this feature was needed. A refurbished ipad mini 2 should also be pretty inexpensive.... If you are an IOS person I would not change ecosystem.

So am I right to think that any android tablet will not offer the zoom function?? I only have an iPad mini 1 and that's not powerful enough :-(

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

As of the previous version of DJI GO for Android, it does not support zoom. I switched to iOS so I do not know if the current version of Android has added it but I do not believe so. The current iOS version now supports 1x-2x variable digital zoom.

Androids zoom is located in settings under accessibility options, so it's not just an ios function, I've been using it for years... Just turn it on then you double click the screen or go-app and you can zoom wherever needed. Then double tap again to go to back to normal view. I use it daily. When you zoom in on the android screen, you are zooming in to a spot in the center so all of the buttons on the edges have to be scrolled over to if needed... or double tap again. I used it today to make sure I had the hawk for the full flight down river when he passed under my UAV, pics are reversed... I thought it was an osprey till I saw the top color :)

Untitled.jpg
Untitleda.jpg

Reactions: Kiel Allen

Try a TAB s2 - probably the most power for your money.
It is funny how Apple STILL don't have an OLED screen - they are so behind the times.

ASUS Tab 10" with wifi/GSM is compatible

Bought ASUS based on low price and features. This version had detachable keyboard. Found 8" Tab max size with built-in RC extender. Found 10" usable and safely attached using rubberbands around monitor holder and stretched to each top corner od Tab. Not fancy, but it worked. Now problem finding large enough sunshade for LED on Tab that easily gets losses usable picture in bright sun. Also, the Asus frequently experiences bad video flicker not experienced with Samsung Notes 4.

I had the Nvidea tablet for a week and hated it. Got the iPad mini4. Soooooooooo much better!

I would disagree..

I have both. Nvidia and the iPad.. Not a single problem with either. Give and take with both. I actually fly the shield most of the time because I like the screen recorder and being able to pop the card with 4K video on it into the shield.. No need to connect to the computer to sync flight data... Automatic with the shield, I can watch directly on the tablet or plug into the tv. Much more flexible than the iOS device. That said the screen is not bright and I wish it were larger. Either way there are a ton of great tablets. The shield is one of them.. I love my Air2 as well.

I own both the iPad mini 4 and the Samsung Galaxy tab S2. As neither tablet has given any issues, I use the iPad just because of the zoom feature android firmware version doesn't offer. I also fly a Solo and if you know what's happening with the new firmware update 3DR and Android developers are currently going through, you're better off with an iPad there as well now too. I'm not an apple fan but to be honest, the drone industry seems to be a little further ahead on the iOS than with android.

I own both the iPad mini 4 and the Samsung Galaxy tab S2. As neither tablet has given any issues, I use the iPad just because of the zoom feature android firmware version doesn't offer. I also fly a Solo and if you know what's happening with the new firmware update 3DR and Android developers are currently going through, you're better off with an iPad there as well now too. I'm not an apple fan but to be honest, the drone industry seems to be a little further ahead on the iOS than with android.

Look at the slightly earlier post you can zoom on Android just in a different way!

Look at the slightly earlier post you can zoom on Android just in a different way!
It sounds different, like you are blowing up the 720 resolution feed, so when it's zoomed 2X it actually degrades digitally to 360 resolution in the Android screen, is that correct?

The iOS zoom doesn't do that. When recording in 1080, and you zoom in 2X, it crops the 4k sensor and continues to feed a 720 resolution view to the screen. It's quite good, and the sd card output is 1080. The viewing clarity while flying is what makes it good, helping to identify things during the flight so you can clearly see and capture the right car, bike, or whatever.

Last edited:
It sounds different, like you are blowing up the 720 resolution feed, so when it's zoomed 2X it actually degrades digitally to 360 resolution in the Android screen, is that correct?

The iOS zoom doesn't do that. When recording in 1080, and you zoom in 2X, it crops the 4k sensor and continues to feed a 720 resolution view to the screen. It's quite good, and the sd card output is 1080. The viewing clarity while flying is what makes it good, helping to identify things during the flight so you can clearly see and capture the right car, bike, or whatever.

It looks really clear to me on the Shield but the best way to show it is to make a movie on it, so... I'll do it through the go app with a second camera and then post it here by Wednesday night. If one of you ios guys can do the same, then we can compare. I'm booked today but there's a chance I can start it.

Androids zoom is located in settings under accessibility options, so it's not just an ios function, I've been using it for years... Just turn it on then you double click the screen or go-app and you can zoom wherever needed. Then double tap again to go to back to normal view. I use it daily. When you zoom in on the android screen, you are zooming in to a spot in the center so all of the buttons on the edges have to be scrolled over to if needed... or double tap again. I used it today to make sure I had the hawk for the full flight down river when he passed under my UAV, pics are reversed... I thought it was an osprey till I saw the top color :)

View attachment 58218 View attachment 58219

So that's a function of the android OS? If so I'm guessing and also zooms the flight data out of view though. Likely will not record the zoomed video either. But that is still good information for android users that simply need to zoom in on an area just to take a closer look!

If you get a ipad cell version do you need to have cell service or not to see the GPS feature?

My question was answered. You do not need the cell service activated you are just using it for the GPS feature.

Here's the video on how the Android Zoom works using my P3A and P3RC.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj