iOS 8.3 work with Autopilot?

Reaction score
I bought an iPad Air 2 with 8.3 on it. So now I'm stuck with 8.3 or 9.0.1. Will autopilot work on 8.3, also is there any way to go to 8.4.1 without going to iOS 9?

I've search google and this forum with no luck. Anyone ever have this issue?

I bought an iPad Air 2 with 8.3 on it. So now I'm stuck with 8.3 or 9.0.1. Will autopilot work on 8.3, also is there any way to go to 8.4.1 without going to iOS 9?

EDIT: With the release of iOS 9.02 on September 30, Apple stopped signing off on iOS 8.4.1. Users can no longer upgrade or downgrade to those versions of iOS using iTunes.

FYI that Apple is still signing off on 8.4.1 so for the moment it is very easy to go from 8.3 to 8.4.1. They won't be signing off on 8.4.1 for much longer however, so there's not a lot of time.

Last edited:
FYI that Apple is still signing off on 8.4.1 so for the moment it is very easy to go from 8.3 to 8.4.1. They won't be signing off on 8.4.1 for much longer however, so there's not a lot of time.

How? Go to 9 then back down?

How? Go to 9 then back down?

EDIT: With the release of iOS 9.02 on September 30, Apple stopped signing off on iOS 8.4.1. Users can no longer upgrade or downgrade to those versions of iOS using iTunes.

No, its much easier to go from 8.3 to 8.4.1 than it is to go from 9 back to 8.4.1.
No jail brake is required as long as Apple still "signs off" on 8.4.1 which they still do for now.

I am running out the door, so don't have time for a detailed how to, but maybe you can figure it out.

First off, if you don't know what you are doing around Apple device or computers, then with respect please just wait a few weeks for iOS 9.1 and the new GO app to be released.

Go here to get the 8.4.1 iOS file, Scroll to the bottom to find your device. Its called an ipsw file.
Download the file for your device to your computer NOT to your iPad.
Download iOS 8.4.1 Final For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch [IPSW Links] | Redmond Pie

When you download, it may download as a straight ipsw file, or it may become a zip file. It depends on your system and settings. If it becomes a zip file, dont try to unzip it. Just change the file extension from .zip to .ipsw Remember where it went when you downloaded it. Its big, so it will take a little while.

Then connect your iPad to iTunes (latest version). Do a back up.
Then at the top of the summary page for your iPad in iTunes, find the UPDATE and RESTORE buttons.
  1. On a Mac, hold down the “Option” key and then click on “Update”
  2. On a Windows PC, hold down “SHIFT” key and then click on “Update”
  3. Browse to and select the IPSW file you downloaded earlier and click “Choose”
  4. Let the iOS device update as usual
It is very fast to go from 8.3 to 8.4.1. Like I said its a little bit harder to go from 9.0 or 9.0.1 back to 8.4.1.

If you decide to try, good luck sir!

Last edited:
Reactions: brianb87
Things did not go so well.. It stopped half way through. Then iTunes wouldn't do anything, no restore, no update. Then I uninstalled I tunes, and it would let me install it. So I had to do a restore on my PC then it automatically updated to 9.0.1. I'll try it tomorrow and see how it goes before I decide if I want to downgrade. My iTunes was out of date and that started all the issues, plus I had Apple updates.

Things did not go so well.. It stopped half way through. Then iTunes wouldn't do anything, no restore, no update. Then I uninstalled I tunes, and it would let me install it. So I had to do a restore on my PC then it automatically updated to 9.0.1. I'll try it tomorrow and see how it goes before I decide if I want to downgrade. My iTunes was out of date and that started all the issues, plus I had Apple updates.
Bummer you used an old iTunes. Sorry it wasn't the easy update that it would have been otherwise.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl