IOC questions

Reaction score
As I get close to taking the plunge to IOC, I need more understanding.

Watching TTT, he describes home lock working only back to you and your 10 meter circle, and then it switches to course lock.

Can someone provide a better description of that?

When approaching, Home lock doesn't just "switch" to Course lock, but it acts like it. Home lock is a function that will base the flight with an "invisible circle" around you. This means that if you throttle back with the controller, it will come back to the home point, no matter where its nose is pointing to.
And if you put your stick to left/right, it will try and run throughout this circle around the home point.

Just go to an open area and test Course and Home lock by yourself. They are very easy to understand and very useful.
If you're looking forward to switch to NAZA mode and get to the IOC, this link clarified things a lot for me, and definitely made me change. Phantom mode is not cool at all.
http://www.pattayadays.com/2014/03/naza-mode-on-the-phantom-2-vision/

Lets say you start your quad up facing north and acquire course lock and home lock indicated by the two long sets of quick green flashes on the quad. You take off and go flying. no matter where the quad is...in front of you, behind you , to either side....if you flip S2 switch to lowest position-home lock-and pull back on right stick, it will head back to home point. once it gets within 10 meters of home, it switches to course lock. Since you started off facing north, when it hits the circle, it will head straight south. If the quad was behind you when you selected home lock, it would head north to home and when it hits the 10 meter area and goes to CL, it would reverse and head south again.Home point is always the same but the direction the quad was facing at start up dictates the direction it will go when it hits the 10 meter area and goes to course lock while you have the right stick pulled back. Start up direction is an important thing to remember..

Reactions: IflyinWY
When approaching, Home lock doesn't just "switch" to Course lock, but it acts like it. Home lock is a function that will base the flight with an "invisible circle" around you. This means that if you throttle back with the controller, it will come back to the home point, no matter where its nose is pointing to.
And if you put your stick to left/right, it will try and run throughout this circle around the home point.

Just go to an open area and test Course and Home lock by yourself. They are very easy to understand and very useful.
If you're looking forward to switch to NAZA mode and get to the IOC, this link clarified things a lot for me, and definitely made me change. Phantom mode is not cool at all.
http://www.pattayadays.com/2014/03/naza-mode-on-the-phantom-2-vision/
are you sure you understand how this works because some of your statement is incorrect.

Indeed I haven't tested yet how it will work when behind the home point. My apologies if my statements are wrong.
But anyway, home lock's is designed to bring it back close to the home point by pulling the stick down. I have never heard of such thing regarding the 10 meters, though.

I have tested this as I when learning heard so many conflicting answers. If you flew north and the quad was facing north at start up...you switch to home lock, pull back on right stick, and the quad will come straight back to home and when it gets about 10 meters away it will automatically go to course lock. You may not realize it has if you flew straight back back to home. It will fly over you and continue south. It you flip S2 to cl and then back to HL and pull back on right stick, it will now fly north to home again until it hits the circle and go to course lock and head south again. It's fun to do.

Great stuff folks.
How can we summarize this answer?

I'll build another page for it, once it's settled and even I can understand it. :D

It's actually very simple but if you forget the way the quad was facing at start up and go flying...go to course lock , you may be in for a surprise. Your controls will seem all screwed up. Take my example above but this time start the quad off facing west. get your proper lights.
Start flying straight north out a ways.Flip S2 to HL and pull back on right stick. The quad will head south to home but as it hits the 10 meter area, it will shoot east in course lock..

It's actually very simple but if you forget the way the quad was facing at start up and go flying...go to course lock , you may be in for a surprise. Your controls will seem all screwed up. Take my example above but this time start the quad off facing west. get your proper lights.
Start flying straight north out a ways.Flip S2 to HL and pull back on right stick. The quad will head south to home but as it hits the 10 meter area, it will shoot east in course lock..

Good point, keep typing plese

As I get close to taking the plunge to IOC, I need more understanding.

Watching TTT, he describes home lock working only back to you and your 10 meter circle, and then it switches to course lock.

Can someone provide a better description of that?

Looking at when you joined the forums is any indication in how much flying experience you have isn't enough to switch over IOC IMO.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looking at when you joined the forums is any indication in how much flying experience you have isn't enough to switch over IOC IMO.
Yes I am a new flyer, but, I don't see any disadvantage using CL, only advantages when it is too far away to determine orientation.

Does one have to "pay their dues" learning a stick before they graduate to an auto transmission?

IOC is a great tool for any flyer but as others have said can be very confusing especially if the a/c is beyond LOS or otherwise not visible.

Home lock lends itself more to a flight aid as it will always bring the a/c home to you.
Course lock is more a photography tool as it doesn't geenrally aid the operator in recovering the a/c.

IOC is a great tool for any flyer but as others have said can be very confusing especially if the a/c is beyond LOS or otherwise not visible.

Home lock lends itself more to a flight aid as it will always bring the a/c home to you.
Course lock is more a photography tool as it doesn't geenrally aid the operator in recovering the a/c.
Totally agree. I think some "fly aways" are actually the misuse of IOC. or the lack of understanding.The quad if all is working properly will obey the commands from transmitter. But if the pilot has turned around and selects CL, it won't react the way he thinks it should. If pilot walked a distance from home point, HL will not seem to be working correctly. Some have the idea that CL will save them if they lose sight of the craft. That's what HL is for. It's very easy to fly too far away and walk a ways trying to gain sight of the craft again. If you don't keep in mind the starting direction of the quad, get turned around looking for the quad...select course lock and pull back on right stick, it's very possible the quad will fly farther away from you or off at different direction to where you are not even looking for it.
As stated...course lock is a tool...not a come home feature. If you don't understand it, don't use it.
Home lock is much easier to use. If you lose sight, select home lock and pull back on right stick. Remember..the quad returns to home point,,,,not the transmitter or pilot. So if you have moved around while flying and use home lock of failsafe, don't be surprised if it doesn't end up where you would expect.
Bottom line...think of the direction you want the quad to face when starting up so course lock will make sense to you later . I won't even touch on changing CL and HL in the air now. If you don't understand the basics, that will only mess you up more..

Reactions: IflyinWY and jason
My usage will be short distances for inspecting rooftops. As I may change my direction to view/record roofing conditions and my mind focused more on camera view than orientation, I'm thinking CL would be the way I would fly for that.

If you understand how course lock works, why do you think that will help you shoot video of a roof? Remember, in course lock, the direction the quad/camera is facing makes no difference. You could be passing the target and the camera could be facing the wrong way. Just fly the thing and control the yaw.. .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.