IOC Course Lock

Reaction score
Can someone explain this to me? I'm trying to understand what the user manual is saying this does and I'm being a bit dense I think. I'm trying to understand what this may be used for. Is it to override the compass? So North becomes whatever the nose direction is once that is set?? Why is this useful?

Also, Home Lock. Examples of what this may be useful for are appreciated.

Ok just FYI home lock is not available yet.

Course lock-- if you flew toy quads this equates to headless mode. When the phantom boots up it remembers the direction it's pointing. If you switch to course lock forward will always go in the direction the bird forward initially. So yaw doesn't matter. If it was facing north, forward will always go north etc.

Home lock-- this remembered your GPS home point. And so if you push back, it will travel directly towards you, again regardless of orientation.

I don't use course lock much. It's nice if you want to do panning shots you can push the bird forward while rotating etc. I do like home lock. Can't wait for the p3 to have it.

Reactions: Droner66
I've been thinking about the panning and how to accomplish this so the home lock may be useful. I want to be able to pan in a circular motion around objects which I think I can do with the rudder rotation and left or right pitch at the same time. I'm still a noob so it will take some time to create the memory muscle.

This might help you circle objects:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That is a great video, although not completely applicable to the P3 but the concept is very good. Questions I have though. In the documentation it states for Course Lock: GPS Enabled = No, GPS counts = None, Flight Distance Limits = None.

So.. With Course Lock no GPS and therefore no GPS guidance correct? And with the P3 is it as easy as setting the switch to F and then enabling course lock? I would love to tinker with this a bit.

Reactions: Phantombandit
I've messed with it on the P2, but need to understand if it operates the same way on the P3. It doesn't stay on in the app if you're in P mode, but does it set itself at takeoff? Not sure the point of the switch in the app as compared to the controller switch.

I've messed with it on the P2, but need to understand if it operates the same way on the P3. It doesn't stay on in the app if you're in P mode, but does it set itself at takeoff? Not sure the point of the switch in the app as compared to the controller switch.

You can set it before take off or in the air. I've found it's not that accurate, so it helps to take a practice run before going full-tilt.

That is a great video, although not completely applicable to the P3 but the concept is very good. Questions I have though. In the documentation it states for Course Lock: GPS Enabled = No, GPS counts = None, Flight Distance Limits = None.

So.. With Course Lock no GPS and therefore no GPS guidance correct? And with the P3 is it as easy as setting the switch to F and then enabling course lock? I would love to tinker with this a bit.
Atti doesn't use GPS but still has restrictions no?

I've been thinking about the panning and how to accomplish this so the home lock may be useful. I want to be able to pan in a circular motion around objects which I think I can do with the rudder rotation and left or right pitch at the same time. I'm still a noob so it will take some time to create the memory muscle.
Homelock was useful on the Vision Plus, but not for doing that - as you still need to co-ordinate a slow Yaw with sideways movement

I flew 2 packs in IOC Course Lock and it's so awesome! Especially if you need to follow something 3/4 behind or in front - like a moving vehicle. I need to practice and I need to get in a big field somewhere. Here's what I found - It does seem to drift a little if I set it to go straight up and down my street it would get closer to one side or the other. Now, the right stick side to side DOES control this, you can move the course left and right perpendicular to the course path. But even if I didn't touch those controls it seemed like it moved perpendicular to course with the wind?

Is there any way to set course lock direction with a button? (didn't look in the manual yet duh) I just went out of F mode into P mode then back again and it brings up a screen with RESET on it. The hardest part was getting it set exactly parallel to the street (or your line of flight) instead of at a slight angle which would then cause it to go towards the curb with distance. But it was so cool to drive by and track an object as you fly by it.

Video of my fist test

Last edited:
Check out Toms Tech videos. He has two of them. Here's one.
This guy spends most of the video explaining how course lock works. I get it. He just skimmed over how to download the program from DJI.com. and I haven't been able to find that on their site. Pretty frustrating. Can anybody help me with downloading the I.O.C. program so I can enable course lock?

This guy spends most of the video explaining how course lock works. I get it. He just skimmed over how to download the program from DJI.com. and I haven't been able to find that on their site. Pretty frustrating. Can anybody help me with downloading the I.O.C. program so I can enable course lock?
You will need to enable multiple flight modes in the DJI GO app. It's been a long time since I used this but I think the AC/RC need to be connected. Tap at the quadcopter icon in the upper left hand corner. Tap on Advanced Settings. You should see Multiple Flight Settings. Tap on the slider till it turns green. Once you're in the air, flip the controller to F mode and the multiple flight menu should appear.

Thanks LarBear360 . I will try this. I hope that I don't have to download the program from the website.

Please note that post #12, the one with that video, was from July of 2015.

Presently there is no need to download anything to get the extra features you seek. The intelligent flight modes are baked into DJI GO these days.

If you haven't already, it might be a good idea to download the manual for your model from the dji.com website, and read it.

I am constantly referring to the manual. There just isn't much instruction on IOC. The manual I downloaded from DJI for my P3A barely mentions it.

I'm just trying to figure out why you think you need to download something to make IOC work.

With AC, RC, and device powered on and connected, open DJI go, settings menu, advanced settings and turn intelligent flight modes ON.

Back at the main camera screen, flip your mode switch to F mode, you'll see an extra icon appear just below the 'return to home' icon. Tap it and there are your intelligent flight modes, choose one.

I was replying to the video posted above. It said that you have to download from the website. I guess that doesn't apply to my P3A but I didn't know. Thanks for suggesting that I read the manual. That was helpful. But you must have a different manual than I do. My manual has none of the info you just gave me. I also understand that the aircraft has to be at least 30 ft in the air to select a course heading. I have received quite a bit of info since posting this and I wonder where everyone is getting it? My manual has none of this. Thanks for the help.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic