Interpolate or not on waypoint missions w/POI ?

Reaction score
I would appreciate some feedback/info from the more experienced pilots concerning the use of interpolate on missions with poi's. The reason I am asking is, I am getting conflicting advice , I have seen it recommended on waypoint missions with multiple poi's to set up in "focus poi", then after all the gimbal angles have been set, go through all the waypoint settings and select "interpolate" for smoother transitions.The Phantom Film school sez that this is not necessary,and you should not use interpolate on missions with poi's. So guy's, what do you think?

Autologic's Autopilot recommends interpolate in their online videos for smoother movements among various focus points. Myself, I'm too jerky with the control stick and sometimes go the opposite direction (being left-handed) which really screws the shot up. I prefer the software to smooth it out.

That's exactly what 'interpolate' is for. Otherwise, the camera will remain pointed at the first POI until it reaches the next waypoint then move the the POI called out at that point. Not necessarily a smooth transition.

That's exactly what 'interpolate' is for. Otherwise, the camera will remain pointed at the first POI until it reaches the next waypoint then move the the POI called out at that point. Not necessarily a smooth transition.

Thanks Richard, answers my question. Nice option, transition at the waypoint or on the way there, depending on what you want the camera to see.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

What they say above. Here is what I learned: You have a WP with a POI designated with Focus POI. Then the next WP(s) after that using the same POI should have interpolate selected so there is clean transition between WPs, especially if the WPs are at different heights.

Watch this Autopilot video where they explain "Interpolate" and show the effect. Fast forward to 30:18 into it and you can see the drone movement as he moves it around the field without interpolation and again with it:

Reactions: Quadular

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj