Internal power plug replacement...

gunslinger

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the original (defective) internal power plug (with the original radius type spring loaded connectors) with the new one? I'm having problems with mine, and it's only an $8.00 replacement part. The alternative would be to send the P2V back to DJI and have them replace it.

I'm wondering if you could use the original power cables by desoldering them from the old power plug and resoldering them to the new one. Instead of doing any soldering on the main board...

-slinger

gunslinger said:
Has anyone replaced the original (defective) internal power plug (with the original radius type spring loaded connectors) with the new one? I'm having problems with mine, and it's only an $8.00 replacement part. The alternative would be to send the P2V back to DJI and have them replace it.

I'm wondering if you could use the original power cables by desoldering them from the old power plug and resoldering them to the new one. Instead of doing any soldering on the main board...

-slinger

I haven't done it but it looks like a simple enough replacement. And if you don't want to solder at all you can simply cut the wire and spice the new connector into place, using some heat shrink or electrical tape to insulate it.

A splice can become unreliable and so can a poor solder job, but I would much rather see you try to do a good solder job. I've had personal experience as to what can happen with even a brief power or "battery communication" failure in the air.

gunslinger said:

-slinger
I have one in transit. When it arrives I'll investigate the possibility.

I'm actually planning to replace mine. Been tough to confirm the replacement part is the crowned pins and not the old style rounded pins for the battery.

gunslinger said:

-slinger

Slinger - yes. The new plug actually comes w/roughly 2" of cable for all connections on power plug. You could splice them to your current leads vs soldering at the board.

EMCSQUAR said:
gunslinger said:

-slinger

Slinger - yes. The new plug actually comes w/roughly 2" of cable for all connections on power plug. You could splice them to your current leads vs soldering at the board.

Cool. I'm going to order one today. I've only had one case of this thing self-landing, but that got my undivided attention...
Thanks for the info, sir...

-slinger

Geert said:
EMCSQUAR said:
gunslinger said:

-slinger

How did you take out the old one ?
What I can see is that there are 2 screws to take out, but in a difficult place .

How I done it was, remove all the screws from the motors, esc's and main central board, you can then move everything together just enough to gain access to the screws on the power plug without unsoldering anything, splice into wire as mentioned and then screw the new plug in place, then position all the boards and motors back in place and fit the screws, hope this helps.

Geert said:
NEILS said:
How I done it was, remove all the screws from the motors, esc's and main central board, you can then move everything together just enough to gain access to the screws on the power plug without unsoldering anything, splice into wire as mentioned and then screw the new plug in place, then position all the boards and motors back in place and fit the screws, hope this helps.

I was afraid you were going to tell me this :)
A bit tricky to move everything together but I guess this is the only way to do it.

Thanks,

Geert.

Another tip: be very careful with the screws that hold on the mainboard and esc's, it can be fairly easy to strip the Phillips heads with anything other than the proper bit and slow firm pressure while turning.

I just did this a few weeks ago, after my smart pins broke and I couldn't fly with an "Invalid Battery" warning. It's an easy replacement, but it's also a big pain in the arse! It's in the most inaccessible location on the craft! As was already mentioned, you do need to loosen up the main board, but to do that, you first have to loosen up the ESC, but then to do that, you need to loosen the motor! See where this is going? So, even though you can get by replacing the part with only 2 of the motors and ESCs loosened, you're better off loosening everything. The soldering is not bad, just 2 points. Just get it nice and hot. Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.