Interaction with Local Police

Reaction score
Was flying my drone at a location in NJ along the Delaware River. Fly there all the time and have had police stop and ask what I was doing. Never been a problem. Yesterday a cop pulls up asks what I'm doing and I said flying my drone. He asked where. I said over the river. He said no way, get the "thing" in now. I immediately complied and brought the drone back and landed. I then had a conversation with him. I was flying in an area that gets planes coming overhead into PHL but the location is not a NFZ. So I calmly began to "educate" him as to how the drone works. I showed him right on the screen the DJI no fly zones, and I brought up airmap to show him where I was standing, and how the airport is a NFZ and I was no where near there. I also mentioned I never go over 400 feet, at the time I was about 130 and he didn't realize the jets were much higher then the drone. He said, ok you seem to know what your doing carry on flying. I thanked him and he left.

I think the takeaway from this is follow the police demands. He said bring it in I brought it in. If I copped an attitude or immediately started trying to educate him it might have ended differently. No matter how right you are if the police give a command, follow it then at the right moment inquire as to why they gave you the command. This cop had no idea how the drone worked or safety features etc, they usually only know the "bad stories" about them.

Well done.

Well done. Cops are human too, and if you act belligerent to their questioning, their reaction is to be belligerent back. Being polite and non-confrontational will usually pay off with positive results. Like you, I am always "armed" with data/maps/apps to show I'm flying legally. Fortunately, I've never been questioned by the police about my drone flying. But I also try to be as stealthy as possible, so I don't attract attention in the first place.

Very well done... You need this next time so they don't bother you...
15f12bd6b5c19221a60000327755f0d7.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have Airmap set to show NFZ only or actual airspace classes? You could very well have been within restricted airspace and not in a NFZ. The DJI NFZ's are laughably non-inclusive of actual surface airspace in which you should not be flying.

Was flying my drone at a location in NJ along the Delaware River. Fly there all the time and have had police stop and ask what I was doing. Never been a problem. Yesterday a cop pulls up asks what I'm doing and I said flying my drone. He asked where. I said over the river. He said no way, get the "thing" in now. I immediately complied and brought the drone back and landed. I then had a conversation with him. I was flying in an area that gets planes coming overhead into PHL but the location is not a NFZ. So I calmly began to "educate" him as to how the drone works. I showed him right on the screen the DJI no fly zones, and I brought up airmap to show him where I was standing, and how the airport is a NFZ and I was no where near there. I also mentioned I never go over 400 feet, at the time I was about 130 and he didn't realize the jets were much higher then the drone. He said, ok you seem to know what your doing carry on flying. I thanked him and he left.

I think the takeaway from this is follow the police demands. He said bring it in I brought it in. If I copped an attitude or immediately started trying to educate him it might have ended differently. No matter how right you are if the police give a command, follow it then at the right moment inquire as to why they gave you the command. This cop had no idea how the drone worked or safety features etc, they usually only know the "bad stories" about them.
Yip that good result,,,:)good read...

I would agree with Max's statement... however.... the officer assumed you were doing something illegal and gave you a commend... until you showed where he was incorrect? Kind of like getting pulled over for doing 25 in a 25mph zone because the officer did not know the speed limit on that road. Perhaps this shows his disposition and not the exception.

We all should act this way. Trying to start a fight with the police on the spot never ends well. I actually visited my local police dept and explained what we are doing and how we verify we are following the rules. I live very close to an airport so am extra careful. I told the Sheriff maybe someday I will see a crime and video evidence so they catch the bad guy. He laughed and said "maybe". You did the right thing and by doing so he now have found respect and more knowledge. Well done. Walter

The first thing that the police always confuse is their authority over drones. They have none. Even if you are breaking the law they wouldn't be able to tell you how. Clearly they don't have the knowledge to police drones and they don't have the authority to police airspace. That is solely the FAA's domain. I find it very disconcerting that the police are so quick to start spouting out commands when they have absolutely no knowledge of regulations governing drone flight nor the authority to demand you comply with their orders. If the truth is to be told they are commiting a federal offence as well as a felony bothering the pilot of an aircraft in flight.

The first thing that the police always confuse is their authority over drones. They have none. Even if you are breaking the law they wouldn't be able to tell you how. Clearly they don't have the knowledge to police drones and they don't have the authority to police airspace. That is solely the FAA's domain.
They don't have the ability to enforce laws over airspace but they certainly have the ability to regulate _you_ while you are standing on the ground. So if the law is that you can't land, operate or fly a drone while on this certain property... they can certain enforce that law. It's not on the drone in the air. Also, if they feel that you are in violation of FAA regulations, they can/should obtain all of your information and forward this to the FAA for possible enforcement of regulations.

You are not the pilot of a manned aircraft so "bothering" you is not as you say. Just as you don't have all the same criteria applied to your "aircraft" as it's not a manned aircraft.

Reactions: N017RW and BigAl07
I get that but they clearly just don't have a clue. They think they know the law but they seldom ever do. Even when it comes to everyday stuff. They seldom ever know what the actual law. They just kinda make it up as they go along. YouTube is overflowing with videos of ignorant police that have no clue what their talking about. They will lie to you to get you to comply because they are uneducated about what is and is not law. I could go on all day. I'm sorry, its just something I'm passionate about. Don't get me started, this isn't the place for that.

You really shouldn't stereotype.
I'm sure your not like most sport bike rides I see. Reckless, inconsiderate, showoffs, etc.

The first thing that the police always confuse is their authority over drones. They have none. Even if you are breaking the law they wouldn't be able to tell you how. Clearly they don't have the knowledge to police drones and they don't have the authority to police airspace. That is solely the FAA's domain. I find it very disconcerting that the police are so quick to start spouting out commands when they have absolutely no knowledge of regulations governing drone flight nor the authority to demand you comply with their orders. If the truth is to be told they are commiting a federal offence as well as a felony bothering the pilot of an aircraft in flight.
If the truth be told, you are completely wrong about "commiting a federal offence as well as a felony bothering the pilot of an aircraft in flight".
I see a lot of this spouting off with authority here, on subjects that someone knows nothing about. It must stem from someone coming across an FAA Aviation Regulation somewhere and cherry picking a part that they like, to suit their position on something. Then, the rumor mill carries it along and it becomes fact in the eyes those who also like it, for their purposes.
The rule you are incorrectly applying to the above situation, is FAR Part 121.580
FAR Part 121 covers Air Carrier Operations
A. sUAS do not operate under FAR Part 121
B. We are not aboard the aircraft
§ 121.580 Prohibition on interference with crewmembers.
No person may assault, threaten, intimidate, or interfere with a crewmember in the performance of the crewmember's duties aboard an aircraft being operated under this part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BigAl07
I get that but they clearly just don't have a clue. They think they know the law but they seldom ever do. Even when it comes to everyday stuff. They seldom ever know what the actual law. They just kinda make it up as they go along. YouTube is overflowing with videos of ignorant police that have no clue what their talking about. They will lie to you to get you to comply because they are uneducated about what is and is not law. I could go on all day. I'm sorry, its just something I'm passionate about. Don't get me started, this isn't the place for that.

I have only had interactions with police in NJ so I can't comment nationwide but I can say every time I've had an interaction with a Township, County Park, or Local park LEO, following the OP's recommendations are key. I have never suffered from the harassment that some have on these forums. On a personal note, I know of at least one officer in my previous town that was a pilot and I have been an EMT for 8 years. If you saw just 1/10 of a Township LEO deals with in a day you would pity them more. For many townships the Beat cop is the least paid and deals with the worst on a daily basis. That's not to excuse some of the brutality that has been documented in recent years or even comment on it.

They don't have the ability to enforce laws over airspace but they certainly have the ability to regulate _you_ while you are standing on the ground. So if the law is that you can't land, operate or fly a drone while on this certain property... they can certain enforce that law. It's not on the drone in the air. Also, if they feel that you are in violation of FAA regulations, they can/should obtain all of your information and forward this to the FAA for possible enforcement of regulations.

You are not the pilot of a manned aircraft so "bothering" you is not as you say. Just as you don't have all the same criteria applied to your "aircraft" as it's not a manned aircraft.

This is probably one of the best posts I've seen in a while. Well done tcope.

Many of us will do well to realize that last year the FAA issued a memo to ALL Law Enforcement Agencies (LEA) in the United States of America about this very concept. It defined what to look for, what to ask for, and how to proceed should they determine further action is required. Just because they aren't Federal Agents doesn't mean they haven't' been given the proper guidance to get your information and relevant evidence into the hands of those LE who are Federal. Don't kid yourself about this.

Reactions: Crack The Sky
This is probably one of the best posts I've seen in a while. Well done tcope.

Many of us will do well to realize that last year the FAA issued a memo to ALL Law Enforcement Agencies (LEA) in the United States of America about this very concept. It defined what to look for, what to ask for, and how to proceed should they determine further action is required. Just because they aren't Federal Agents doesn't mean they haven't' been given the proper guidance to get your information and relevant evidence into the hands of those LE who are Federal. Don't kid yourself about this.
Well said, and it needed to be said.

Well said, and it needed to be said.

You too. I posted this after your post above but started it before your post so I didn't see it. Thanks for citing that exact reg. This should help clarify some of this massive "myth" going around.

You too. I posted this after your post above but started it before your post so I didn't see it. Thanks for citing that exact reg. This should help clarify some of this massive "myth" going around.
My pleasure. Fly safe.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl