Intelligent Battery Issues

Mine slowly discharge over time. I've never seen a battery discharge from 65% to 10% in 3 weeks. Are you sure they were at 65%?

Not absolutely certain. They were around 50 to 60% I believe. I'm going to keep an eye on them this time around however.

Just watch your voltage, as soon as any cell hits 3.6 volts land....so far I have not seen a case where this would not have prevented an incident

I don't thin their is a logic to shut off motors at any point. I agree with you, it's better to kill batteries rather ruining your P3. I feel if the batteries are drained off, they can't give enough current to keep P3 flying and if load on the motor is more than what it can take care off, motors tend to stall.

Also we need minimum voltage to sustain electronic system. We have just one battery in P3 to feed power to motors and to maintain electronics.

Battery voltage is flat up to certain low charge levels and then it rapidly droops down making everything unstable. Land your P3 sooner when you get low voltage warning. We always assume that warning level is correct. This could go wrong if the batteries were not calibrated.

I have seen many other varieties of LiPo batteries in the market they are intelligent to shutoff supply in case of critical charge level is reached. We don't need such batteries for flying. Hope P3 batteries do not have shut off mechanism.

If you look at my battery characterization curves in normal flight you would never get near the 12v or 3v in one cell cutoff. My guess is that DJI didn't think it was possible and they seem to rely on the battery capacity value more than the voltage. I think they should probably modify it to alarm at 14- 14.4 volts regardless of what it thinks the capacity is at. In most of the incidents I look at the capacity value is not correct. In normal flight from fully charged battery you never get near 12V....

I have been trying to get an incorrect capacity and so far have not been able to cause it...maybe I need to trigger auto discharge....

Man it's hard to find my topic here. P3A manual and Battery Guide don;t say anthing (that I saw) about deep cycle at 20 cycles like the P2V did. Says how to discharge to 8% but nothing about doing it at any certain times. Any input on the appreciated.
Thanks and my apoligies in advance if this is covered somewhere else.
Jack

nynelyvz, this is what DJI says to do in the DJI battery guidelines:

"Charge and discharge the battery completely once every 20 charge/discharge cycles. Discharge the battery until there is 8% remaining power or until it can no longer be turned on, then recharge it to the maximum capacity. This power cycling procedure will optimize battery life."

nynelyvz, this is what DJI says to do in the DJI battery guidelines:

"Charge and discharge the battery completely once every 20 charge/discharge cycles. Discharge the battery until there is 8% remaining power or until it can no longer be turned on, then recharge it to the maximum capacity. This power cycling procedure will optimize battery life."
Thanks for the reply msinger. Could you direct me to where it says that for the P3A, I sure can;t find it. P2 I see.
Thanks

lol ok. Guess we are looking at different guidelines. Because I am staring at it right now. Says how to discharge but nothing about 20 cycles/ Thanks anyway

Says how to discharge but nothing about 20 cycles
I pasted the text above, but here's a screenshot from the guide:

Untitled.png

Actually go to DJI website and look at the latest Battery guidelines.. Not There. Sorry bud. So there is the confusion. Guess I'll call DJI Monday.
No worries. Hopefully you can find the information you are seeking.

I remembered reading something about it too but now I can not find it on their website. I remember it because I disagreed with it...this seems to be the latest:

http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phan...gent_Flight_Battery_Safety_Guidelines__en.pdf

I am just flying to 30% and landing, then recharging. Until I see a change in my flight time or cell deviation I have no plans to discharge to 8% as my previous experience tells me it will reduce the overall life of my battery...

I fly every day or two. Sometimes for short periods. I charge fully b4 every flight as instructed to do. This sometimes leads to a "topping off" type of charging.
My many non-intelligent Lipo helicopter batteries warn against "topping them off"
"If near full charge do not charge"
My questions are.
1) Is it harmful to top off a Lipo or not?
2) if not, why do all non-intelligent Lipo manufactures (Blade, Tenergy etc) warn against doing so?
3) If so, why does DJI insist to do so?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31