Install OpenWRT WebUI on Repeater/P2V+

DC inspections said:
Okay so i just made a wireless connection between my laptop to my Sony camera, i then opened a cmd window and typed in "Ipconfig /all" and it shows under wireless networking, autoconfiguration ip address so i pinged it and the packets came back, i just find it weird that it says autoconfiguration ip Address i think that is what i used a wile back when using the tp link repeaters. just making sure this ip is different from the repeaters and it is. 169.254.XX.XX

You should get an IP in the 192.168.x.x range... The 169.254.x.x addresses are self-assigned and typically don't really provide any connectivity to the network.

I've had this happen when doing many changes to routers, etc.. and ended up disabling the WiFi adapter, and re-enabling it.

Let me know what you find.
LK

marcusdji said:
Hi,

As you are looking inside the Phantom right now, can you tell which pins of the gimbal goes to the transmitter? As doing that we will be able to know if the logic part of the transmitter is inside the gimbal and the transmitter itself is just a dumb amplifier. I am asking you that because my camera came off by itself and I cannot open my Phantom while I am waiting for the warranty repair.

I don't have mine open right this second, but I have pictures of the innards...

In the shielded WiFi case, there are two boards.

* The top board (green PCB) contains the WiFi Tx/Rx chipset and antenna connections along with the main SOC that's running the OpenWRT instance.
* The bottom board (black PCB) is connected via a special socket to the top. It also has the connections from the camera and possibly the view angle of the camera portion of the gimbal.

I know the ribbon cable from the Gimbal/Cam is split into a few different plugs up inside the P2V+.. 1 or 2 go to the black board in the transmitter case... another goes to the main board of the P2V+. I suspect the initial 5.8ghz channel 7 is passing through from a serial connection from the P2V+ main board to the WiFi daughter board.

NOTE: I've not chased these connections specifically or done any electrical path verification.. so this is all speculation from a cursory glance.

LK

Hi again linuxkid and everyone else.

I can happily say that my P2v+ and repeater now uses channel 11 instead of 1 :) And also have a nice webGUI for both of them. Thx. a million linuxkid for the help and guides.
My next issue is trying to figure out the dji 2,4G DataLink http://www.dji.com/product/2-4g-bluetooth-datalink and what channel this is communicating between the ground end and air end. I have tried to find the units using Xirrus Wifi Inspector, but nothing comes up. Both the repeater and the P2V+ comes up and my home network and such, but nothing from the DataLink units. Anyone have any experience with the 2,4G Data Link system?

The reason for this is that I wan't to make sure what channel this is communicating on and that it is far from 11. I would expect it to communicate on channel 1, but not sure.

Any advice?

Thx.

EspenA.

linuxkidd said:
marcusdji said:
Hi,

As you are looking inside the Phantom right now, can you tell which pins of the gimbal goes to the transmitter? As doing that we will be able to know if the logic part of the transmitter is inside the gimbal and the transmitter itself is just a dumb amplifier. I am asking you that because my camera came off by itself and I cannot open my Phantom while I am waiting for the warranty repair.

I don't have mine open right this second, but I have pictures of the innards...

In the shielded WiFi case, there are two boards.

* The top board (green PCB) contains the WiFi Tx/Rx chipset and antenna connections along with the main SOC that's running the OpenWRT instance.
* The bottom board (black PCB) is connected via a special socket to the top. It also has the connections from the camera and possibly the view angle of the camera portion of the gimbal.

I know the ribbon cable from the Gimbal/Cam is split into a few different plugs up inside the P2V+.. 1 or 2 go to the black board in the transmitter case... another goes to the main board of the P2V+. I suspect the initial 5.8ghz channel 7 is passing through from a serial connection from the P2V+ main board to the WiFi daughter board.

NOTE: I've not chased these connections specifically or done any electrical path verification.. so this is all speculation from a cursory glance.

LK

Thanks for the info!! So if the SoC is inside the Phantom, I think we can do a lot of things. I will wait for my gimbal replacement and start to play with it!!!

EspenA said:

I can happily say that my P2v+ and repeater now uses channel 11 instead of 1 :) And also have a nice webGUI for both of them. Thx. a million linuxkid for the help and guides.
My next issue is trying to figure out the dji 2,4G DataLink http://www.dji.com/product/2-4g-bluetooth-datalink and what channel this is communicating between the ground end and air end. I have tried to find the units using Xirrus Wifi Inspector, but nothing comes up. Both the repeater and the P2V+ comes up and my home network and such, but nothing from the DataLink units. Anyone have any experience with the 2,4G Data Link system?

The reason for this is that I wan't to make sure what channel this is communicating on and that it is far from 11. I would expect it to communicate on channel 1, but not sure.

Any advice?

Thx.

EspenA.

Hmm... may be some bad news on that front... There's no mention of 802.11b,g, or n in the specs for the Datalink. Only that it uses frequencies from 2400MHz to 2483MHz and has a max bandwidth of 1.5mbps. This would indicate that it's not using wireless like the repeater/FPV system does... but is simply using the public spectrum frequencies and I'm betting... picking a range within that spectrum at start-up based on some congestion avoidance algorithm.. Or, it could simply be blasting the entire spectrum. Either way, it doesn't bode well for WiFi coexistence.

They likely do this to eliminate the overhead of TCP/IP or UDP/IP and try to guarantee more consistent performance over the full distance range.

WiFi Ch 11 is centered on 2462MHz(+/- 11MHz), so at least your at the far end of the spectrum...

Hope that helps...
LK

EDIT: I just read through the specs in the manual (instead of online)... This seems to indicate they're simply blasting actual bluetooth 4.0 spec at 125mW (FCC) or 100mW (CE).. This also helps explain the 1.5mbps datarate limit. So, you *may* be able to turn on 'bluetooth coexistence' in your WiFi settings.. but I've not looked specifically for that setting to see if it's supported in the Phantom/Repeater...

linuxkidd said:
EspenA said:

Any advice?

Thx.

EspenA.

Hmm... may be some bad news on that front... There's no mention of 802.11b,g, or n in the specs for the Datalink. Only that it uses frequencies from 2400MHz to 2483MHz and has a max bandwidth of 1.5mbps. This would indicate that it's not using wireless like the repeater/FPV system does... but is simply using the public spectrum frequencies and I'm betting... picking a range within that spectrum at start-up based on some congestion avoidance algorithm.. Or, it could simply be blasting the entire spectrum. Either way, it doesn't bode well for WiFi coexistence.

They likely do this to eliminate the overhead of TCP/IP or UDP/IP and try to guarantee more consistent performance over the full distance range.

WiFi Ch 11 is centered on 2462MHz(+/- 11MHz), so at least your at the far end of the spectrum...

Hope that helps...
LK

EDIT: I just read through the specs in the manual (instead of online)... This seems to indicate they're simply blasting actual bluetooth 4.0 spec at 125mW (FCC) or 100mW (CE).. This also helps explain the 1.5mbps datarate limit. So, you *may* be able to turn on 'bluetooth coexistence' in your WiFi settings.. but I've not looked specifically for that setting to see if it's supported in the Phantom/Repeater...

Hi LK.

Hmmm you could be right there and that this is not WiFi as the P2V+ uses. Not sure what you mean in your edit there about bluethooth, bit the systems comes with a BTU (Bluethoot adapter) that connects to the DataLink ground station and uses bluethooth to communicate with IPAD and the software. So the 1,5mbps datarate limit has to do with the BTU adapter and communication between this and the iPAD. Don't you think? I don't think this has anything to do with the interference btw. the P2V+ 2,4Ghz system and the 2,4Ghz DataLink system. But then again U know this a lot better than me :)

Anyways what is happening is that when I run both systems together and I have my P2V+ controller (with the range extender) close to the DataLink ground station, the connection btw. the DataLink ground station and its air end (mounted on my P2V+) gets really bad and more or less is lost. When I remove the P2V+ controller away (further the better) from the Data Link ground station, the connection get's better and even better if I turn the range extender off, the connection is perfect. I was hoping the 2,4Ghz DataLink system also was using channel 1 to and by changing the P2V+ system to channel 11, it would work a lot better together. I was only able to test it shortly yesterday and at first I thought I had made it, but further out in the flight and controller close to the DataLink ground station, i struggled a bit again when trying to issue commands to the P2V+ via DataLink. The video feed is still fine. It seems to me that the DataLink looses the "battle" for bandwith over the P2V+ system and it's because the range extender is stronger than the DataLink system, but off course I could be wrong :) The test was short and maybe not very consistent, but it definitely thick the P2V+ controller and range extender messed up the DataLink communication again. Will try to do more testing today though.

I'm not giving up on trying to get these to system to work better together :)

EspenA

Not sure if this was covered already and I missed it but I can't get the WiFi TX power change to survive power cycle on the FC200.
I boosted to 20dbm on the repeater and that survives restart but not the P2V+
The GUI selection for TX power seems to have no effect. I ran the command iw phy phy0 set txpower fixed 1300 which raised TX to 13dbm but after power cycle it goes back down to 3dbm.

What to do to save the change permanently?

Dear linuxkidd,

Any chance you could provide some guidance on this post: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21939

Any assistance you could offer would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks in advance :!:

P.S.: Anyone else who might know the solution, feel free to jump in as well :mrgreen:

In reply to tscott's post way back:

"
1) Downloaded http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a ... ar71xx.ipk to laptop.
2) Extracted the ipk contents using 7-zip until I got my grubby little hands on "iwinfo"
3) Transferred that via "pscp -scp d:\tmp\iwinfo [email protected]:/tmp/iwinfo"
4) Logged into the P2V+ and did a "chmod a+x /tmp/iwinfo"
5) Ran "/tmp/iwinfo wlan0 info" and saw the txpower was set to 7dBm
6) Ran "iw phy phy0 set txpower fixed 1300" and re-ran iwinfo. Saw that the current power went to 13dBm.
7) Did a little dance. Heh.
8) Moved iwinfo to /overlay/usr/sbin/iwinfo (I think... it was /bin or /sbin, can't remember).
I think it should be fairly easy to permanently boost the txpower via a software config by adding something to the start-up scripts.
"

Does anyone know what the options on "iw phy <phy> set txpower " mean? I read there's auto, limit and fixed - I would love it if there was a dynamically adjustable txpower according to connection strength and range!
Also, which start up scripts exist on OpenWRT that I can mod to run that command?

jjisnow said:
I would love it if there was a dynamically adjustable txpower according to connection strength and range!
Also, which start up scripts exist on OpenWRT that I can mod to run that command?
That WOULD be totally awesome! I hope you get an answer to that question, as I would love to implement that as well :!:

Fingers crossed. . .

Interestingly, iwinfo reports 20dBm on both repeater and cam for me, without any mods or apps....

I'll plug the repeater into an analyzer, see if that holds out in reality!

I know that this is out of topic., but how can i get video of the camera from my win - notebook thru the repeater, so i can FPV from my laptop instead of using the andriod phone. I have to deal with the 192.168.1.10 ? or somethig like that ?
Thnks.

I placed the following line of code into /etc/rc.local on the phantom itself
iw phy phy0 set txpower fixed 1300

Didn't seem to like it in the app and at some point I used rm rc.local to try and delete it.
The app started complaining that "phantom connection broken" even though the repeater was right next to the phantom and all other files and systems were untouched, with a live video featuring underneath the broken banner.

Turns out, that OpenWRT keeps things in an "overlay" folder and that rc.local had an evil twin link in the overlay that had a link to "(overlay) - (whiteout)", which caused an error which led to my app refusing to respond to gimbal pitch commands and photo/video commands.

The Solution: being unable to "delete" the file/link, simply moving it around seemed to remove the offending link.

Can any linux gurus explain this better than this link I found?
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/techref/flash.layout

been trying to get my repeater to connect to my GoPro wifi in the same kind of config it would with the standard vision cam, but can't get it to pull and address. I added an interface as client as mentioned a few pages back, and that seems to work, it connects to the network, and I can see traffic going out the interface, but no response (handshake packets with no response I'm assuming). I tried it a couple different ways, WDS client, as another master, etc... but no dice. When I add the gorpo as a client network it even shows up in the vision app under connected camera's, so I feel i'm getting close. I looked through the GUI but did not see anywhere to set an IP address manually when adding the client setup.

As I'm typing this, I'm realizing I should probably have tried to add a static address to the interface via command line. I'll try that later on and report back if it works, but I was curious if anyone has successfully done this? It was discussed earlier in the thread, but hasn't been mentioned in a while.

As I understand it the P2V+ doesn't act as a WiFi client, it acts as the WiFI access point with a hidden ssid, and the Range Extender is in Client WDS mode.
The DHCP server is on the camera which is at 192.168.1.1

You would need to get the GoPro to act as an ad hoc access point and then bind the repeater to connect to it.
Or what might be easier, reconfigure the repeater to act as an infrastructure access point and then configure the GoPro to connect to it.
Trouble is that since there's no way to reset the config back to factory, if you make a config mistake, you could brick it with no way to get back in.
I'd experiment with a spare router running OpenWRT first. Then carefully config the phantom range extender the same way.

Also, since the GoPro doesn't have the best WiFi antenna, you won't get the same kind of range as the FC200 which has two 2" patch antennas.
Is there a way to add a better WiFi antenna to the GoPro?

cahutch said:
Is there a way to add a better WiFi antenna to the GoPro?
Not without ripping open the GoPro, completely disassembling it, locating the Qualcomm Atheros AR6233GEAM2D 802.11n + Bluetooth 4.0 controller, tracing foil runs to locate the circuit board integrated antenna, soldering new antenna cable leads to the pads, drilling holes in the GoPro to route the new antenna cable out of the body, and praying that you can get it all back together so that the case will close again :mrgreen:
References: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/GoPro+H ... down/12457
https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/i ... e3AtK.huge

Not a simple task at all, hence: http://www.cam-do.com/GoProUnderwaterSo ... .html#wifi

ATC Drone Flyer said:
Not without ripping open the GoPro, completely disassembling it, ...
Well, there it is then. I did some searching online and the best i could find was someone using a high power wireless access point with a high gain directional antenna and they got ~330 meters range. I don't think we can do that well with the little Phantom Vision range extender.
It'd be much easier to get a FPV transmitter and receiver system.

Hi

First of all, thanks for the tutorial, I managed to secure both wifi connections (P2V+). But it wasn't easy, because your instructions are already outdated. :(

The problem is, that the opkg package structure has changed:
Code:
opkg update
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/Packages.gz.
wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
(Indeed that file is no longer there.)

This results in an error when trying to install luci:
Code:
opkg install luci
Unknown package 'luci'.
Collected errors:
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci.

To resolve the problem, the file /etc/opkg.conf has to be updated to contain all packages (the first line is the original one, now commented out):
Code:
#src/gz barrier_breaker http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages
src/gz barrier_breaker_base http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/base
src/gz barrier_breaker_luci http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/luci
src/gz barrier_breaker_management http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/management
src/gz barrier_breaker_packages http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/packages
src/gz barrier_breaker_routing http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/routing
src/gz barrier_breaker_telephony http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/telephony

With that setup I was able to install luci on both the Range Extender and the P2V+ itself.

A small stumbling block for me was also the sudo command, because I didn't immediately realize that it first asks for the local machine's password instead of the SSH user password... :roll:

In a german Phantom forum an owner of a P2V (I think) claimed he secured his wifi connections WITHOUT the need to install luci/WebUI at all?! It's now too late for me to confirm, but maybe a recent DJI firmware update installed this already?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4