Inside Alfa 2.4ghz 7dbi directional.How does this metal plate work?

Reaction score
Here is the first pic as i open the antenna.

Attachments

• 0203171816-1-1.jpg
    0203171816-1-1.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 1,350
pulling the metal plate back exposing the antenna itself.

Attachments

• 0203171816a-1-1.jpg
    0203171816a-1-1.jpg
    638.6 KB · Views: 1,034
Last edited:
Back of antenna and antenna with plate mounted.Sorry a little blurry trying to get up close on second pic.

Attachments

• 0203171817a-1-1.jpg
    0203171817a-1-1.jpg
    727.9 KB · Views: 881
  • 0203171830a-1.jpg
    0203171830a-1.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 920
Last edited:
Antennas achieve Gain by directing the energy in a specific direction or pattern. The higher the Gain the more focused or direced the radiation pattern. tLike comparing a light bulb to a flashlight (or Torch).
These antennas radiate or receive energy only forward and not behind them. The plate may be part of the ground plane which is aiding in the directivity. It's hard to tell from the photos

Antennas achieve Gain by directing the energy in a specific direction or pattern. The higher the Gain the more focused or direced the radiation pattern. tLike comparing a light bulb to a flashlight (or Torch).
These antennas radiate or receive energy only forward and not behind them. The plate may be part of the ground plane which is aiding in the directivity. It's hard to tell from the photos
The metal plate seems to be just suspended in front of the antenna not grounded to anything best i can tell. This is the front of the antenna i thought .Now i am not sure.

It's hard to tell from u photos but it's just a directional antenna. One plate is active the other is ground plane.

Reactions: Y2KGTA
It's hard to tell from u photos but it's just a directional antenna. One plate is active the other is ground plane.
Thanks! Trying to learn all these different antennas and there is a lot to take in .Someone i ask refereed to this plate as a Lens. Is that relevant in this build. Or is that something totally different?

Radio energy is transferred via the Photon so they may he blurring terms. Antenna 'folks' do not use the term 'lens'. Aperture maybe but that's about the extent of it.

I keep hearing about this Alfa antenna...Is the range that great with it??

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

I keep hearing about this Alfa antenna...Is the range that great with it??

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
I don't know about others but my range did improve over my Argtek. That being said I personally think Argteks Quality control is lacking a bit .So in theory i believe that the Alfas are more consistent in build .But there are lots of variables when installing these mods that could also affect performance.The M25 Alfa 5.8 ghz is Great for control in my opinion.

Reactions: KCadby
So which is the pointy end? Alfa towards bird or Alfa towards TX? On reviews for boosting routers they said point with the side that doesn't have writing.

The plate is what makes it directional. It stops the signal going that way so all the signal goes away from the plate

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Imagine a windsurfer. Ya put the reflective surface behind the antenna so it all fires forward

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

If that is true well then my above statement about alfa being the front is false.And so alot of people are using these backwards.

If that is true well then my above statement about alfa being the front is false.And so a lot of people are using these backwards.
Well after doing some research of my own and tearing apart some other antennas because i could not find the answer i was looking for. I do believe these Alfas are backwards. The plate is the Ground Plane and is not active as N017rw and Kristian.Perkins pointed out and is to be facing the back not the bird. Which would mean on these particular antennas the word Alfa would face the user not the bird. (other pics for reference) So K9Time it seems i was Wrong .

Attachments

• 0204171025-1.jpg
    0204171025-1.jpg
    970.4 KB · Views: 803
  • 0204171025a-1.jpg
    0204171025a-1.jpg
    871.3 KB · Views: 785
Last edited:
If your using the ARGtec base how are fitting them on there to point that direction?
These antennas swivel and turn so not a problem at all. Now the 5.8 ghz antenna if it is the same way will be a problem. But i don't have an extra one of those to tear apart.

Last edited:
These antennas swivel and turn so not a problem at all. Now the 5.8 ghz antenna if it is the same way will be a problem. But i don't have an extra one of those to tear apart.
I also dont think it is the same way because they have made it to where you cant turn it around and angle it the same.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl