Incredible Noise From P4Pro

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just bought a Phantom 4 Pro and flew it up and about in my home town of Dubai and the image quality was exceptional. I just arrived on vacation to Bali and flew it.

I filmed at 4K at 60FPS. The image I got was incredibly noisy. I put the drone on automatic settings in both cases....

Any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks,
Phil

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 13.09.20.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 13.09.20.png
    504.1 KB · Views: 695
agree with the above post. It is NOT noise u have in the original photo, it's an out-of-focus issue. If it were noise, the picture will look grainy.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
It is for sure not noise and it is also not out of focus.
Wat you see is a severe form of posterisation(woolliness, blotchiness, etc) solely due to the H.2.64 processing.
This posterisation you see mainly in low contrast-area's. In high contrast area's you will get nice and sharp footage.

You will not see this type of posterisation in still images.

This looks out of focus for sure! And TonG this looks like a still and not a video. This is not an H.264 problem imo at all. And if this a captured still from a video clip it's not gonna be as sharp either. I have had no compressing issues at all with the H.264 compression on the new P4P. Are you guys shooting raw on these or shooting j-pegs? Part of the noise may be because the darker areas are a little under exposed at capture. But shooting Raw will def help some of this as well. But they def look a little out of focus too.

Last edited:
This looks out of focus for sure! And TonG this is a still and not a video. This is not an H.264 problem imo at all. And if this a captured still from a video clip it's not gonna be as sharp either. I have had no compressing issues at all with the H.264 compression on the new P4P. Are you guys shooting raw on these or shooting j-pegs? Part of the noise may be because the darker areas are a little under exposed at capture. But shooting Raw will def help some of this as well. But they def look a little out of focus too.
As far as I know it is a screenshot of a video, so my arguments are still the same. Mostly posterisation . Yes you right al little bit of blur, but the mushiness of the posterisation is dominant.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Hi Guys... It was a video... I'm pretty sure it's a focus issue. I forgot that after exposing, I also had to tap for focus... made some footage from recent break and it's looking a bit better... Some of the noice was removed with neat video... Now I will try to improve it further. Thanks for all advice -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looks like the Philippines. Yes, that happened to me, but I remember it was on auto focus

Hi Guys... It was a video... I'm pretty sure it's a focus issue. I forgot that after exposing, I also had to tap for focus... made some footage from recent break and it's looking a bit better... Some of the noice was removed with neat video... Now I will try to improve it further. Thanks for all advice -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Very cool Phil! Love the music with this footage too! Yeah the focus thing is def gonna be a habit for all of us to remember man.

Is anyone else noticing that their P4P images on the left and right sides of raw and/or jpeg stills are out of focus. I have been noticing this with my stills, and I have been tapping to focus in the centre of the screen..Never had this issue with my P4
Is there any method of fixing this? I really took for granted the infinity focus that the P4 offered..I cannot believe that there is not a setting to allow this, and if you want to focus, then you could choose tap to focus option...

Is anyone else noticing that their P4P images on the left and right sides of raw and/or jpeg stills are out of focus. I have been noticing this with my stills, and I have been tapping to focus in the centre of the screen..Never had this issue with my P4
Is there any method of fixing this? I really took for granted the infinity focus that the P4 offered..I cannot believe that there is not a setting to allow this, and if you want to focus, then you could choose tap to focus option...
I would think if your getting soft just on the edges then it's really not the tap to focus that's causing it. If your center is focused then it should be in focus on anything that is at that same distance plus whatever depth of field you have. But should not effect just the edges. You could have some other issue with your sensor maybe.

I would think if your getting soft just on the edges then it's really not the tap to focus that's causing it. If your center is focused then it should be in focus on anything that is at that same distance plus whatever depth of field you have. But should not effect just the edges. You could have some other issue with your sensor maybe.

So your stills are sharp across the whole image? It is only a little soft on the sides (not as focused as the centre)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

So your stills are sharp across the whole image? It is only a little soft on the sides (not as focused as the centre)

I haven't received my P4P yet, but as a hobbyist i can tell you that all cameras have softer sides, even a DSLR. More cheaper is the lens, more soft edges you have, but generally is barely noticed if you don't have a trained eye.

Can you post a sample with your issue?

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

TBO I have not been able to shoot enough stills in the daylight to be able to really look at the edges in a good comparison. But Doctorcobani is right in that all lenses will have some slight softness at the edges. And prob be more noticeable at larger apertures too. I will be looking for this for sure in the next flights I have.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers