In Colorado

Reaction score
Just found this forum. Lots of good information so far.

I live in Colorado, near Colorado Springs. I'm seriously pursuing being a commercial UAS pilot. I passed the 107 on 8 October. I have two Phantom 4's (gotta have a backup). And am looking into what niches would be best for me, in terms of what types of work I can be good at, and what type of demand there is in my area.

My day job is/has been a software developer, but I'm wanting to get out away from the desk, at least some of the time. I have had some experience as a semi-serious hobby photographer, I'm a ham radio operator, and I once studied to become a private pilot (just a couple of hours short, actually).

So, much of my experience has been leading me to this, it seems. At least I hope it helps.

As a side note, when I took the FAA exam, at a flight school, they were encouraging me to come back and finish my Private license and maybe become a flight instructor for them (eventually).

My biggest problem with becoming a UAS professional will be marketing myself. Always the hardest part for me.

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to the forum Andy .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)

Just found this forum. Lots of good information so far.

I live in Colorado, near Colorado Springs. I'm seriously pursuing being a commercial UAS pilot. I passed the 107 on 8 October. I have two Phantom 4's (gotta have a backup). And am looking into what niches would be best for me, in terms of what types of work I can be good at, and what type of demand there is in my area.

My day job is/has been a software developer, but I'm wanting to get out away from the desk, at least some of the time. I have had some experience as a semi-serious hobby photographer, I'm a ham radio operator, and I once studied to become a private pilot (just a couple of hours short, actually).

So, much of my experience has been leading me to this, it seems. At least I hope it helps.

As a side note, when I took the FAA exam, at a flight school, they were encouraging me to come back and finish my Private license and maybe become a flight instructor for them (eventually).

My biggest problem with becoming a UAS professional will be marketing myself. Always the hardest part for me.
Start with FB, and contact local photographers and realtors to see if anyone could use a certified UAV pilot for aerial photos and video. Obviously, having a portfolio of work is a necessity.

We talk to a lot of start up drone service companies. The ones that already have industry customers (i.e. Engineering firms, survey firms, real estate photographers etc) and are adding drone services to their existing service offerings have an advantage. You might want to consider partnering up with someone who already has access to the markets you want to penetrate. It will be hard to get business on a cold – call basis, although not impossible. You will need to differentiate yourself as a professional drone service provider if you want to be successful over the long-term. Tell customers you are doing it right and complying with all the rules. Get permission of neighboring property owners or at least provide them notice. Go beyond part 107 and let your customers know it.

Enrico Schaefer
UAV Attorney
www.dronelaw.pro

Free Part 107 Waiver and Airspace Training Videos. https://www.dronelaw.pro/suas-service-agreement/

Last edited:
Have you been to the Multicopter Warehouse in Castle Rock and talked to the folks that work there. They seem to have lots of ideas, knowledge and contacts in the area regarding all kinds of drone activity in the area. Good folks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31