IMU calibration

Reaction score
Is it a good idea to calibrate the IMU before first flight and after initial setup up and update? I'm getting alot of mixed answers.

I do it before the first flight and after installing new firmware.

I do it before the first flight and after installing new firmware.
That's what Ive always did. Just wanted to confirm since I'm reading alot of people on facebook saying not to do it unless it tells you too. Thanks bud for the quick answer. It's crazy how the P4P has 6 steps for imu calibration

Facebook? Come here if you want solid advice ;)

Facebook? Come here if you want solid advice ;)
That is solid advice right there! :) 80 percent of the people in my Facebook group have no idea what they are doing. I'm glad this forum is here with you guys. I would be lost for sure.

Reactions: tak5501
I saw that same recommendation on the DJI forums from one of the DJI people there. It is claimed that a cold IMU calibration is done at the factory and that unless the software tells you it needs to be re-done you should not re-calibrate. I guess the thought is they will be able to do it better on their end than the user will be on theirs. Perhaps for first time pilots like me their advice is good. How bad would a less than ideal IMU calibration be?

The manual makes no mention of calibrating the IMU? Even though it shows the light pattern that indicates an IMU error.

How bad would a less than ideal IMU calibration be?
It shouldn't cause any major issues. Here are some common issues that can be overcome by an IMU calibration:
  • Long warmup time on startup
  • Unsteady hover
  • Large discrepancies in current altitude

Reactions: maseman88
It shouldn't cause any major issues. Here are some common issues that can be overcome by an IMU calibration:
  • Long warmup time on startup
  • Unsteady hover
  • Large discrepancies in current altitude

Will this apply to the pahntom 4 original also ?

My hover is not as steady as o think it should be. Never done a IMU calibration on this particular phantom. Should I?

I remember reading don't do one unless it tells you? Could be wrong here ?

You'll get the best results if the surface is perfectly level. Check it with a level and level it as needed.

I would like to add a few thoughts on this topic. I also calibrate IMU when starting a new A/C and after a firmware update. I also have had a few occasions to restore to factory conditions. After restoring to factory conditions I also calibrate the IMU.

Several have mentioned about leveling the A/C before calibrating the IMUs. To accomplish this I place the aircraft on 12" x 12" square of granite tile. Since the granite tile can not be considered level, I then place a piece of plate glass across the motors. I then use a graduated spirit level to make sure the A/C is level before performing the calibration procedure. I have heard of individuals using a smart phone level application to determine level. My impression is that this is not a good idea because case of the smart phone is most likely not made to be level.

Don Barar

Last edited:
Would looking at the values tell you if you need to calibrate IMU?

These were mine on my living room floor ( carpet)

IMG_0895.PNG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic