IMU calibration (too often)

It's cool that we can check the numbers with the app. I will continue that as a pre-flight and only calibrate if the values aren't nominal.

Personally, I think the whole "cold calibration" thing is a scam, made up by trolls, just to silence those experiencing problems with the firmware "update".

"Did you refrigerate your P3 before you calibrated the IMU? Were you standing on one-foot with your other foot pointed north? Did you remove all metal objects before doing it? Did the pants you were wearing have a metal zipper? Were you wearing metal frame glasses? Did you do it by the light of a full moon? Was the moon waxing or waning? Did you kill a chicken and spill the blood in the shape of a pentagram? Did you check the pentagram with a level? Was there any metal underneath the pentagram. Did you center the P3 in the exact center of the pentagram facing north before you recalibrated? Did you chant the magic words, Klaatu Barada Nikto, while recalibrating the IMU?"

This is getting boring and we all would expect more support from the manufacturer of a brand new +$1,000.00 toy

Last edited:
Personally, I think the whole "cold calibration" thing is a scam, made up by trolls, just to silence those experiencing problems with the firmware "update".

"Did you refrigerate your P3 before you calibrated the IMU? Were you standing on one-foot with your other foot pointed north? Did you remove all metal objects before doing it? Did the pants you were wearing have a metal zipper? Were you wearing metal frame glasses? Did you do it by the light of a full moon? Was the moon waxing or waning? Did you kill a chicken and spill the blood in the shape of a pentagram? Did you check the pentagram with a level? Was there any metal underneath the pentagram. Did you center the P3 in the exact center of the pentagram facing north before you recalibrated?"

This is getting boring and we all would expect more support from the manufacturer of a brand new +$1,000.00 toy
Hah! Best post of the series!

Yep! You nailed it. Trolls. The lot of them! We all know DJI secretly solved all the flaws inherent to current state-of-the-art MEMS technology and didn't tell anyone. All just to cover up their flaky firmware! :confused:

I have about 6 flights on mine and I have never calibrated the IMU. I have calibrated the compass several times. I went into the app today with the intent of calibrating the IMU but when I checked it, it told me it did not need to be calibrated. Should I calibrate it anyway? I am not experiencing anything weird with the aircraft.

If it aint broke, don't fix it

Reactions: snowghost

"Did you refrigerate your P3 before you calibrated the IMU? Were you standing on one-foot with your other foot pointed north? Did you remove all metal objects before doing it? Did the pants you were wearing have a metal zipper? Were you wearing metal frame glasses? Did you do it by the light of a full moon? Was the moon waxing or waning? Did you kill a chicken and spill the blood in the shape of a pentagram? Did you check the pentagram with a level? Was there any metal underneath the pentagram. Did you center the P3 in the exact center of the pentagram facing north before you recalibrated? Did you chant the magic words, Klaatu Barada Nikto, while recalibrating the IMU?"

The Klaatu Barada Nikto was my favorite part. Nice.

Reactions: JoBe and S5S5G6

I think maybe Ill start flipping walmart coolers with dry ice and foam for an "in the field cooler accessory experience" to the volunteers of this theory. Might make a few bucks. Can even toss a DJI sticker on it and an unattended phone line to call.

Reactions: SouthernPhantom
True or not... I've worked in Metrology briefly and this is the first thing I have been associated with that isn't Callibrated at operating temp. (as far as I can recall).

True or not... I've worked in Metrology briefly and this is the first thing I have been associated with that isn't Callibrated at operating temp. (as far as I can recall).
I was a boy scout once and we used a compass and a ruler. I can't rule out any findings myself. :)

50 posts and counting-- may be going to 100

It actually is. The calibration needs only to cover the operating temperature range. The long waits only occur when the calibrated temperature range doesn't cover the current IMU temperature.

Reactions: S5S5G6

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl