IMPORTANT: DJI Go app 2.50/2.51 enables GEO functionality

My only concern is that this mechanism requires DJI to continue as an ongoing financial entitiy. If they go out of business these craft no longer work.

The
Will Dji go 2.5 mess up zones even if the drone's firmware is 1.4? Or does it only screw things up if you are running 16 or the 1.7 beta?

That did not happen to me. Perhaps it was fixed before I connected to my bird with 2.5 which was late yesterday evening and today. There are a boatload of yellow zones on the DJI GEO beta site and none show in my IOS 2.5 version of
Yes there will be those that steer away from purchasing DJI products due to the GEO System.

Other companies would NOT include such a system unless it promoted sales.

DJI will soon realize that restricting any of it's aircraft where there is no written law is a mistake.

So... What will it take to get DJI to make any changes from the current path they're on? It would take a combination of current customers to a couple of things. They. or we, would need to post in large numbers in the DJI forum expressing non approval as one thing. The other would be to contact DJI customer support and request refunds, or from where the aircraft purchase was made.

Simply put, DJI should not be doing anything other then those things that increase their overall sales. It's just a matter of time that enough people get pissed off and do something legally that reminds DJI that people have the right to make their own decisions.

I'm guessing DJI must feel like if they don't do what they're doing, then some careless user's may come along and screw it up for everyone
Nope - as it's beta and I'm not the tester. But he assures me this is the way they're going. I find it hard to believe, but I'm not in direct contact with DJI - and I trust this guy totally.

The Beta is open, all you do is install the app and run with it. I played around with it and found it to be totally reasonable and there was ZERO evidence from experience that DJI has any plans to charge money for unlocking of zones. You can unlock zones with your cell phone, and do not even have to have a credit card on file. Not sure how they would charge you if zones are being updated via cell number that is tied to the serial number of your aircraft.

The point of having a validated cell number or credit card on file is so that if you do something stupid DJI can provide the data requested by the authorities. Keep in mind that they have been logging our flights since the release of the P3 and because of this logging it creates a possible legal burden of expectation to provide data when requested by authorities.

ISP's have to do the same thing, as do telco's and many other companies also. My belief is that DJI is trying to get ahead of a deluge of legal requests. A lot of these were sold, and a lot of people are doing really stupid and dangerous things with them (a quick search of youtube will reveal the magnitude of the problem). The reality is we are living in the wild west of UAV's right now and I would prefer to not get hung.

We can collectively resolve any problem. :)

Happy flying.

As I continually used to tell my students, "Work the problem and find a solution!" So happy we can all work together to find solutions to issues that arise from time to time!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: alokbhargava
I don't think it is unreasonable to have a glitch or a bug in something with this much technology in it, its supported and a fix was worked. This aircraft has allot going for it and with the current media blitz on drones it good to see a proactive approach to the issue.

I don't think it is unreasonable to have a glitch or a bug in something with this much technology in it, its supported and a fix was worked. This aircraft has allot going for it and with the current media blitz on drones it good to see a proactive approach to the issue.
We don't mind having a glitch here and there but we expect DJI to be fair by declaring what's fixed and what are the new features introduced in the releases. Giving shocks and surprises to their customers is not acceptable by any means.

And this is the main problem now they make these drones a lot more affordable and they are becoming very widespread it only takes a few idiots to **** it up for everyone else and it will eventually force all the various companies that make UAV to put these NFZ as common practice and if you do live near nfz its probably not a hobby you are going to be able to do unless if you can travel to designated areas where everyone else will be flying their drones!!

My feeling is that this whole drone thing is going to be much, much bigger than a bunch of geeks (that is us all :D) flying for hobby taking cool landscape pics and sport films with quads on weekends.

Drones might see their way into a lot more important things in the future, like transportation (just look at that cool Ehang device already), medical rescue, delivery, etc. Not that hobby or filming is not important, but I´m talking about a different scale, another level, a whole new economy.

All that will bring the need for serious air traffic regulation. This is only the beginning, the rehearsal. In fact I thought I´d see the 2015/16 sky a lot more crowded with P3s, Parrots and Yuneeqs - maybe the $1.000 figure isn´t low enough to have a few million quads flying all over. So far it has increased, but not yet what I thought it would be. But it sure isn´t RC either, certainly not a niche anymore.

What's New
1. The Osmo now notifies users when switching between Upright, Underslung and Flashlight modes.
2. Lightbridge 2 plus the A2 support Home Lock, Course Lock and Point of Interest.
3. Brand new epic templates coming in five themes of Love, Travel, Companionship, Music and Change.
4. Look back on your 2015 flight log and share your memories with others. The "2016 I will..." campaign is now live!

Nothing there that looks like a compelling reason to update this time.
1&2 aren't for the Phantom and 3&4 aren't likely to be much use to most people.
let's just say that in the future DJI comes up with somthing that will be very good in it's app and you down load it.
won't this app be taging along with it?

let's just say that in the future DJI comes up with somthing that will be very good in it's app and you down load it.
You never know what will be released and how will it be configured in future but it's true DJI is not going away from NFZ s.

If these are real NFZs we are not concerned as we also don't want to fly near the major airports.

Can anyone confirm this fix on the dji forum works for firmware 1.6 with iOS 2.5 in the app:

DJI Forum|DJI GO App and Sudden NFZ's Problem

"Those that have reposted the sudden apperance of NFZ's after updating to Go App 2.5, please do the following.. It seems to have been a server issue that is now resolved..

1. Please connect mobile device to the Internet.
2. Turn on craft and should be on P-GPS mode, please make sure craft has solid GPS lock.
3. Please make sure that RC and mobile device is connected to craft..

Wait for 1-5 min, and try to reboot the App to check."...

So after updating to iOS GO app 2.5.0 and following the above procedures I am showing "Red" non-unlockable zones around the local airports. I see no "Yellow" authorization zones.
It was my understanding that the airports would be yellow zones. Any insights??

So after updating to iOS GO app 2.5.0 and following the above procedures I am showing "Red" non-unlockable zones around the local airports. I see no "Yellow" authorization zones.
It was my understanding that the airports would be yellow zones. Any insights??

Are the red zones new? I am still on 2.4 and there are red zones near some airports that I can not take off from, but they are less than 5 miles...maybe 2-3 miles?

We can collectively resolve any problem. :)

Happy flying.
AlokB thanks again for the info last night on how to fix the NFZ in V 2.5 of the Go App. I was having a fit until I read your posts.

Are the red zones new? I am still on 2.4 and there are red zones near some airports that I can not take off from, but they are less than 5 miles...maybe 2-3 miles?

Nope, not new, same as I had 2.4.3. Like you the red zones are actually just over the physical boundaries of the airports. Between 1 and 2 miles in diameter. Still see NO "authorization zones on the app. The 5 mile yellows do appear on the website for pre-authorization.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking there - but if you can see something valuable in that list, you're welcome to install this version.
A couple of versions back they released another version that was all about Osmo and had nothing for Phantom owners.
Ignoring that one made no difference.
DJI are fixing this GEO stuff now and when they release a new version that has useful features, you can install that one.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking there - but if you can see something valuable in that list, you're welcome to install this version.
A couple of versions back they released another version that was all about Osmo and had nothing for Phantom owners.
DJI are fixing this GEO stuff now and when they release a new version that has useful features, you can install that one.

My understanding is that 1.60 has some important fixes in it regarding the battery problems that some have had that result in p3's dropping from the sky. This is the reason I upgraded was to get off the previous version that had the battery problems.

I had installed App 2.5 thinking that it will have hidden fixes as DJI is usually silent on fixes. I never had idea that they will induct GEO stuff in this release as it didn't have an even slightest mention of it. We hate this back biting.

The gap is in testing and quality control. These are things America learned over 100 years ago in the manufacturing industry. Even so, America has not always followed the right path but we created the path before most nations and in most industries on earth.
Sorry. Not correct. It's an industry wide problem caused by trying to force stuff to market too quickly and the fact that real testing is real expensive.

Apple - the poster child for this. Smart Apple users NEVER update until the x.3 rev of ANYTHING. Hardware or software.
Microsoft never seems to get it together. Can you say 'patch Tuesday'?

Reactions: Neary Aerial
I had installed App 2.5 thinking that it will have hidden fixes as DJI is usually silent on fixes. I never had idea that they will induct GEO stuff in this release as it didn't have an even slightest mention of it. We hate this back biting.
Yep. Despite all of Brandon's attempts at painting a better picture of this and explaining the rationale behind it, he's been blindsided by DJI's typical hamfisted corporate mismanagement.

I really have trepidations about this company's ability to manage International markets in a rapidly developing field. It is a hard field to play in and cutting the legs under your primary spokesman who is desperately trying to keep it's most rabid fans happy paints a picture of a very amateurish bunch in the upper office. People that tend not to realize they are in trouble until it's too late. The tech field is littered with such companies.

Reactions: alokbhargava
Hey guys, i'm looking for your expert advice. All of my iOS devices have upgraded themselves to DJI GO 2.5.0. I have a new P3P that I have not fired up yet. Should I go ahead and connect anyway? I know the DJI GO app will push NFZ's to the bird but I have no way to downgrade to 2.4.3 right now :(

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z