IMPORTANT: DJI Go app 2.50/2.51 enables GEO functionality

Site not found. LMAO. Imagine that!

Only a matter of time. Probably like others here, I work for a company that is investing a tremendous amount of money in UAV development. It is all for the Commercial space. They really do not care about spending a dime on the Consumer space between now and 2020. I completely understand why DJI wants to GeoFence if they are going to play in this space. The fight will be for the firmware.

Remember when they told us we can not copy a VCR tape? This will be no different. I love technology.

When the originally sparse NFZ's were established a couple years ago, many said "I'm no where near those, and I have no desire to fly there." Then they added more. Still, most said it's no issue. Well, now you all see the dilemma with turning a blind eye to the practice. I don't doubt that soon, anti-droners will be allowed to register their property as NFZ, and you'll have so many NFZ's everywhere that flying will become impossible.

Reminds of the "first they came for XYZ and I said nothing" parable... This is government. This is the land of the free, home of the brave. Enjoy.
I have already seen a website that allows residents to allegedly enter their address as a NFZ to be added to new data bases that will then be downloaded on new firmware. I'll try to find the site and post it for you. "Noflyzones.org"

Last edited:
You will find the summary of the latest findings on post #1

We so far do not know what was fixed in release 2.51. We have so far seen clean up of NFZs data.
Have you seen the No Fly Zone registry page for landowners and do you think DJI or the FAA would ever really consider using this "registry" for firmware revisions?
Noflyzones.org

Have you seen the No Fly Zone registry page for landowners and do you think DJI or the FAA would ever really consider using this "registry" for firmware revisions?
Noflyzones.org
Remember, noflyzones.org has no affiliation with the FAA. This 'organization shares your GPS location "with participating manufacturers".
My first though on this, is NO MENTION of any specific manufacturer is made, which makes me think it's just someone that wants a list
of people that don't like UAVs, for some future use.

Fortune magazine says there are 7 manufacturers cooperating, but they only list 3.... hmmmm. Also the Noflyzones.org spokesperson said
a map would be available soon... back in February 2015... still no map... probably because the people on the list don't want their property
on a map, figuring in their paranoid little minds that it's an "I dare you" map, and they're making themselves more open to drone fly-bys.

Drone manufacturers that are cooperating with this are cutting their own throats in the respect that other manufacturers will have a
less restricted product on the market. The fact that 'delivery drones' will be allowed (which will undoubtedly will have cameras all over
them) sets a double standard that will have a hard time being legally upheld.

Lastly, on the site's FAQ, they say, "In the future, we may offer premium services..." which shows it's probably a cash grab.

Reactions: DexterDude and NRJ
DJI Go 2.50 iOS is available today.

Do you see anything new for Phantom 3?

------------------------------Latest Summary---------

Lots of posts have been made on this topic, let me summarize (Jan 16, 2016)

1. All later App versions such as 2.42, 2.43, 2.50, 2.51 are infected with NFZs

It is claimed that Combination GO- 2.4.1, FW- 1.4.10 and RC- 1.4.30...works like a charm with no NFZs.

One of the iOS devices with App 2.4.0 also exhibited capability to fetch and display NFZs

2. NFZs are stored on a separate DJI's server. DJI go app has ability to fetch and display NFZs. We don't know when exactly was this capability added. Tests are showing that it was added some time around the release of 2.4.0

3. NFZ server is active since release of app version 2.5. Initially it was restricting flying even in the vicinity of helipads, hospitals etc but now it is showing only airports as NFZs this is a relief to all drone fliers

4. There have been multiple reports of unusual GPS behavior with app 2.5 release. Taking longer to get to SAFE TO FLY, dropping in and out of GPS when it was always stable before, less satellites than normal.

5. DJI has revised NFZ data on their servers. Red areas have shrunk in sizes, yellow areas are disappearing. This is a changing temp phase.

6. No difference so far found between 2.50 and 2.51. DJIs text for the fix is unclear.

7. RC stores last map with NFZs.

8. DJI app 2.5.1 crashes if NFZs servers have issues. Too risky to work with server based solution.

9. It may be advisable to keep your device in "airplane" mode when flying to avoid servers interference.

10. Many have flown successfully with 2.5.1 App, few are still stuck because of NFZs in their zones.

I will summarize again when new facts emerge out.

I was able to download/install 2.5.1 to my iPad 4. Do you know if it actually works and is safe to fly? There were older threads about this with older versions of the app but no conclusions about viability. Thanks.

I was able to download/install 2.5.1 to my iPad 4. Do you know if it actually works and is safe to fly? There were older threads about this with older versions of the app but no conclusions about viability. Thanks.
Yup. works fine

Reactions: Eddyfisher
I have been flying with Go App 2.5.1 with no functional issues. NFZ is another topic to discuss.

I will edit my first post to add this conclusion.

I haven't flown with 2.5.1 using my Android Samsung Tab 4 but did hook everything up and before I installed 2.5.1, I was still in 2.5.0. with 9 satellites indoors. After install of 2.5.1, I had only 6 satellites. You may be right. May get out to test tomorrow but for now I did notice that difference.

I haven't flown with 2.5.1 using my Android Samsung Tab 4 but did hook everything up and before I installed 2.5.1, I was still in 2.5.0. with 9 satellites indoors. After install of 2.5.1, I had only 6 satellites. You may be right. May get out to test tomorrow but for now I did notice that difference.

I picked up 18 satellites outdoor today using 2.5.1 on IOS and I can get 9-10 indoors

I picked up 18 satellites outdoor today using 2.5.1 on IOS and I can get 9-10 indoors

Not bad for indoors. Usually I don't get much indoors. We should keep an eye on the Sats though as someone has said they had reduced Sats using 2.5.1. Lets hope this version is good.

There are lots of variables in satellite reception... different times of the day can give you more/less sats.
If I move 4 ft in my living room I go from 3 to 7 sats. I was flying with 14 on Monday, as high as 16 once.
That's about the norm for my area... no drastic reduction... BUT...

My underwear elastic feels a little tighter since I went to 2.5.1....... :eek:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4