I'm upgrading to a Phantom 3 standard

I would absolutely go for the Phantom 3 Professional or Advanced.

The Standard is more of a Phantom 2.5. Not a bad quadcopter at all, but the fact that the "Real" Phantom 3s use Inspire-style remote WITH lightbridge is a huge bonus. Also, the fact that the P3 Pro/Adv. have GLONAS-support is really really wonderful - the Standard only has GPS (like the P2V+). This means that the P3 Pro/Adv acquire GPS connection MUCH faster and it is much more stable - also works if flying low near trees where you might get a surprise with the P2V+ that it would lose GPS connection and revert to ATTI.

Just my two cents - as both a P3Pro and P2V+ owner.

I need to get the tools needed to take my P3A apart, my small screwdriver set doesn't work? Looks like Allen or star bit needed? Any ideas

Thanks Capt. Terry

T6 & T8 torx for shell and 2.0mm hex/allen for the motors . . .
I commend you on you patience.
I refrain from comment this before, but I was afraid the next comment would be something like: "If you look at a screw and can't tell what type of key you need, maybe you shouldn't open your phantom.."

Reactions: PhantomKid
The fpv experience on the standard is miles better than the vision plus quality, because of the higher quality camera.

This video shows follow me and other features. Maybe it was from a DJI ad. Anyone have any idea when this stuff is gonna be out?

I wouldn't get the P3S as the GPS satellite acquisition is deficient. You need both GPS AND GLONASS, go with P3A or P3P.

... the GPS satellite acquisition is deficient.
The following GPS only quads were an overwhelming global success:

Phantom 1 | FC40 | Phantom 2 | Phantom 2 Vision | Phantom 2 Vision+

And now the Phantom 3 Standard joins their ranks.

Other than camera differences:
P3A/P: optional indoor use. longer control range.
P3S: outdoor use (GPS will get the job done). a price point expanding DJI's customer base.​

Obviously... I am rooting for the P3S as it 'may' be able to fly into places no other drone can access.
And if so, that will be something of practical value.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
If you believe that for outdoor use, GPS will get the job done (and P3S would be fine) you have obviously never flown above the Ohio parallel. I invite you to come to Canada and see that GPS acquisition is not as friendly as getting closer to the equator. GPS + GLONASS works beautifully tho and this is why most of the droners will recommend P3A or P3P.

GPS only has work good enough for years.
Also using the Russian GLONASS satellite system does add more precision; and it enables locking on faster.

But for outdoor use, other than locking on a bit faster, GPS only is plenty fine.

I've flown many flights here in Ohio with my P2V+ and P2.

I use the P2 to carry the repeaters for the P2V+. It stays overhead in position very well.
Both return to home within 10 feet or less; everyone I know manually takes over anyway.

I don't recall anyone from Canada complaining about bad GPS lock.

======================

Bottom line... the Phantom 3 Standard price performance point expands DJI's customer base.

Also using the Russian GLONASS satellite system does add more precision; and it enables locking on faster.

But for outdoor use, other than locking on a bit faster, GPS only is plenty fine.

I use the P2 to carry the repeaters for the P2V+. It stays overhead in position very well.
Both return to home within 10 feet or less; everyone I know manually takes over anyway.

======================

Bottom line... the Phantom 3 Standard price performance point expands DJI's customer base.
Well not for those living in the northern or southern hemisphere away from the 46 degree parallel. Being one of them I know very well about it and it is a well known problem (and DJI knows it as well). Same thing for those who bought a P3S in our drone club.; they are asking DJI to take it back so that they could get a P3P in exchange + some additional $$$.

Hope your buddy's luck with DJI on the exchange JM ! Me in southern US and get 10 to 15 with no issues and gonna get me a S :) Will do for me what I want it for .
Way better camera than what I have now and don't fly indoors so that not an issue .

======================

cell phone do not use GPS as their primary locating system; the same applies in the US of A. Obviously you are novice in the field. Enjoy you P3S... and please don't fly it in Canada ! ;o) you may just lose it like other did because of GPS unlock and ATT mode make the bird out of control when out of reach. Just read the post on the matter (you have to read them as they are posted since DJI tend to delete the thread once in a while).

What post JM ? And DJI doesn't delete anything in this forum ! Mod's might delete some stuff but it is needed to be
and normally from someone not reading the guidelines here .
not saying you're not just saying :)

Hi Dirk, basically any posts on the DJI forum where the reliability of their product is challenged gets unfortunately removed. It is unfortunate as their drones are state-of-the-art machineries but they are still pioneers just like 3DR and the others.

Reactions: dirkclod
Hi Dirk, basically any posts on the DJI forum where the reliability of their product is challenged gets unfortunately removed. It is unfortunate as their drones are state-of-the-art machineries but they are still pioneers just like 3DR and the others.
Gotya. The DJI forum . Now that I can believe :rolleyes: I thought ya was revering to this one :)

cell phone do not use GPS as their primary locating system;
Phones have GPS... I go often into remote forests that has no cell signal and use my cached maps to pinpoint my location. Perhaps you are referring to AGPS hat uses cellular to acquire a gps faster.

About DJI Flyaways:
After experiencing a flyaway for myself a few weeks ago with my plain Phantom 2; and talking to others.... it appears many of the reported fly aways are something more than just loss of GPS. The joysticks are not responsive. Some sort of deep bug in the firmware that once a possible loss of gps occurs.. then deny the operator of joystick control too.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik