I'm confused?

Reaction score
I'm a proud owner of a Phantom Vision 2 , 3.0 and love it! I never considered myself a techy kind of guy but just read a bunch and watched many you tube videos and I'm having a blast. No problems at all.

Here's where I'm confused, what can I do and what can't I do with it? Right now I fly my own property and my mothers. I live in Pa. I have a great job and don't want to turn this new hobby into a job but I have realtor friends who want me to fly and video properties and I work in oil and gas and can definitely see a use for it in our industry. The more I read on FAA regs regarding commercial use the more I'm confused.

If you live in the USA you can't legally accept money, goods or services in exchange for flying a drone. There was even (briefly) an attempt to go after people posting video on Youtube because it's possible to collect a few pennies off the ads Google throws up at the bottom. Hopefully some of this will change because as you point out there are a lot of great uses for drone video.

The FAA has not yet issued fines to any small drone operators for flying commercially and are not likely to do so in the near future. There's just too many of them flying today. (They tried with Pirker but quickly dropped the commercial use charge and relied on their always present 91.13 Careless and Reckless charge).

Some aviation lawyers contend that commercial small drone use rules do not exist and what is not forbidden is permitted. The FAA says that what is not permitted is forbidden.

Fly safe and you'll be fine.

In order to proceed with any disciplinary action [a letter] the FAA will need a report, a witness, and PROOF of violating their operational guidelines.

Just don't attract attention to your activities.

I've been paid for flying before, and I've never run into issues. Just don't do stupid things (like try flying through controlled traffic over an airport) and you'll be fine.

The term "Common Sense" should permeate throughout what ever regulatory document the FAA creates and enacts when writing legislation referring to the use of UAV's...both commercial and non commercial use. I'm a true anti-government regulatory guy, but many UAV owners out there have proven through the thousands of YouTube videos posted, documenting they're total disregard for safety, that they need to be regulated for the safety of public and to protect the industry and livelihood of us responsible UAV pilots. I have no problem going through what ever certification program the FAA may create for pilots wanting to fly UAV's for commercial purposes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic