Ignorant People Make Me Wonder Why I Bother?

Reaction score
I would literally say about half of the time when I fly (about half of the 30 flights total I have done in this field) I get comments on my drone. I like to fly in this open field that is public and safe to fly in. I like to take off in this field and then step back onto the path behind me... I get (mostly middle-aged to quite elderly) people complain about "that horrible thing" and its a HUGE field. Like I can't hear my P4P on the other side of it, so I don't see what's so horrible about it and why they tell me it's noisy? It there is country-side and a farm nearby so it's no big deal.

I have heard the term "drone-phobia" used on here and thought nah, that rarely happens but today somebody stood there actually filming me shouting how they would report me and I don't appreciate the countryside (clearly why I hate photographing it then?).

Today I had the afternoon free and could of gone to take more video/ photos but in the end I really can't be bothered, maybe because I might get some nut try attacking my drone or something?

Lets hear any "incidents" anyone else here has had with such ignorant individuals who believe drones will one day steal their wives, take their kids and burn their houses down?

Never had one of those type encounters in about 2.5 years of multi-rotor flying.

Those who speak are more curious than cautious.

But it actually goes back further as I had lipstick style cameras strapped to my planks and CP-helis dating back to '06.

Never had one of those type encounters in about 2.5 years of multi-rotor flying.

Those who speak are more curious than cautious.

But it actually goes back further as I had lipstick style cameras strapped to my planks and CP-helis dating back to '06.
Really!? I had it once or twice with my old P3P about a year ago but in the last month it has been every other time I fly.

I don't think it's very common as compared to the number of annual drone flights occurring.

Reactions: VVATC
I get curious people asking questions about the Phantom or asking me to film something for them, be it their kids playing soccer, their house/land or this one- Could you fly a "Happy Birthday Mona" sign behind your drone over my place on Sunday?

This happened to me last Fall. Wasn't anywhere near this guy's yard, it's in the countryside.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

200 plus flights and never a harsh word. I have had plenty of interest/curiosity, and all the usual questions, how far, how high,how much, how long in the air etc.
I am extremely careful, I keep well clear of dog walkers, and always land if there are horse riders about. There are 3-4 Phantom pilots around here that I talk to, and bad encounters with the public are never mentioned.
Maybe I am just lucky.

You must live near a retirement home for "Grumpy Old Men"! :rolleyes: . In nearly 2 years of flying, I've had plenty of people approaching me, but it's always been to ask questions...and (so far) no complaints.

For me personally there have been a handful of instances where people are just curious and they think it's "neat." I did have one person approach me in a city park and asked if I was sure it was OK for me to fly there. After advising them to go read the sign at the front of the park which clearly indicates a portion of the park is set aside as "drone friendly," he proceeded to walk away, let his dog take a dump, and not clean up. smh.

I was out today on the coast in Southport - an area very popular with walkers, today was very busy.
The area I was flying over was marshland, avoiding the paths and people. During 3 batteries I had 3 families, 2 gentlemen and a couple approach me, all interested in the tech and fascinated to see the stability and quality of live feed despite the wind.
That's been the responses I normally get, although I did once get a grumpy fool asking if I was filming his kids - my Phantom was about 400m away from them and pointing the other way.

Maybe that's why I left the South and moved North!

I was out today on the coast in Southport - an area very popular with walkers, today was very busy.
The area I was flying over was marshland, avoiding the paths and people. During 3 batteries I had 3 families, 2 gentlemen and a couple approach me, all interested in the tech and fascinated to see the stability and quality of live feed despite the wind.
That's been the responses I normally get, although I did once get a grumpy fool asking if I was filming his kids - my Phantom was about 400m away from them and pointing the other way.

Maybe that's why I left the South and moved North!
Being a southerner myself and my partner having her northern family, I can confirm that they do get grumpy in age haha I used to get the usual "what is that" and "wow, it goes fast" but now it's all misery... Probably the weather has got everyone in a bad mood, idk :(

This happened to me last Fall. Wasn't anywhere near this guy's yard, it's in the countryside.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
****! Was that in the UK? Did he shoot your drone? If I had done that, my licence would have been history!

I know some people just can't be reasoned with but I have found that once you stop and explain what you are doing and even show them the video on your screen, talk about how beautiful the area is they melt like butter. Also if you say "I don't want to bother you, I just love photography. Is there a better time for you to have me do this? I am happy to try to accommodate" That's going to stop half of them from complaining. I mostly just get homeless people watch me :)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Ron1959
I just get run off by the cops, sometimes asking if I have a film permit, or that I cannot fly on public property due to some city 12.xxx ordinance.

Now I dress like a biker with a heavy leather jacket and people stay away from me while flying. Size and intimidation has its rewards.

For me personally there have been a handful of instances where people are just curious and they think it's "neat." I did have one person approach me in a city park and asked if I was sure it was OK for me to fly there. After advising them to go read the sign at the front of the park which clearly indicates a portion of the park is set aside as "drone friendly," he proceeded to walk away, let his dog take a dump, and not clean up. smh.
Just curious...what city/state is the park in where there is a reserved drone area?

Just curious...what city/state is the park in where there is a reserved drone area?
There are a few in the Phoenix area that are designated "RC Aircraft" friendly. I checked with Parks and Rec and was told drones are OK. I did not mean there were parks that are literally drone friendly, rather there are designated areas where you can fly one and other kinds of aircraft. Here is a link:

Parks and Recreation Radio-Controlled Aircraft in Phoenix Parks

upload_2017-1-2_15-30-59.png

Reactions: NoTech64 and yorlik
I only had one incident with an ignorant woman, When I first started flying quadcopters a few years ago, I was flying and woman came up to me and said "that doesn't have a camera on it does it? because you know a lot of people don't like spying" I said it will have a camera on it and she scoffed at me and walked away. (this was pre Phantom days)

I just get run off by the cops, sometimes asking if I have a film permit, or that I cannot fly on public property due to some city 12.xxx ordinance.

Now I dress like a biker with a heavy leather jacket and people stay away from me while flying. Size and intimidation has its rewards.
I do that when I conceal carry my firearm (yes I have a conceal carry permit) But I dress like a skater just to disguise myself because I don't need anyone suspecting that I might be carrying, the less I can keep people from bugging me better.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31