If you pass the 107 Test can you still fly as a hobbyist?

Reaction score
I live in an area with a air port in class G airspace (to 699 AGL) which is less then 5 miles from me. From what I have been reading I have to contact the airport every time I want to fly in this air space due to the 5 mile distance even tho its considered class G airspace.
But if I pass the 107 I no longer need to contact the airport. My question if I do pass the 107 can I still fly as a hobbyist or do I need to get different liability insurance. I'm currently a member of AMA and also have a 1 Mil umbrella from my home owners. At this point I don't intend to fly to make money, just for the convenience of not calling the airport.

Since you are not engaged in commercial activity I don't see how AMA, or your homeowner policy can deny you.
It's not like a commercial CDL, where even if you are in your car you are still shafted becasue you can't get a regular license.
Although they may try to argue since you didn't contact the airport you were flying with the 107 license. So this is where you read all that 4 pt font stuff in the policy. I would argue the license and commercial activity are not inclusive, they are still two different actions.
If you haven't seen it, Tom Hanks Bridge of Spies has a good insurance policy argument at the front of the movie.

This is a very good question. I think that the answer probably lies in the Model Aircraft Special Rule guidelines - if you meet all of them then you can claim to be flying under that rule, rather than Part 107, if you wish.

The FAA has confirmed this. A Part 107 pilot can fly either commercially or as a hobbyist. You have to decide which before taking off and abide by the appropriate rules for the entire flight. I make sure to record which in my logbook.

Reactions: sar104
Although the money you get for selling the HD video of the phantom going through a 767 engine to the news media should cover some of the costs of your lawyer.

Reactions: Jason Porembski
Only if you can get the SD card back intact. I suppose there is a chance you could.

You shouldn't be reading posts in class.[emoji3]
That's right. They should be out rioting like goot college students.

But the original question stands. The answer depends on if they record phone calls. If not there is no record to prove you didn't call them, so you can claim hobbyist.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20