If you know how to do this, please help those of us who are unsure.

I always check my speed on opposite direction when I get the wind warning. A seemingly perfect flying condition from the ground could be different from the air. It is in this 'perfect' conditions that get most of us caught off guard.

I tend to use the same rule of thumb I do when boating - 1/3 fuel going to destination, 1/3 fuel coming back, 1/3 fuel reserve. Saved my butt a number of times.

I tend to use the same rule of thumb I do when boating - 1/3 fuel going to destination, 1/3 fuel coming back, 1/3 fuel reserve. Saved my butt a number of times.
I also have s mode on reserve since i do most of my flying in p mode. S mode for returning home.

95% of crashes, losses, fly aways are pilot error. If money is not object, then by all means, just turn on your drone and fly, or like most of us, if your drone is an investment you had to "save" for, why not spend a little more and get drone flying lessons. Their are legitimate flight schools all over the USA now, and around the world. Some as low as $500 to get the basics, and truthfully after reading here about crash after crash, the are all basic mistakes.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
For what it's worth, my State Farm policy paid me within a week after my accident,did not want the damaged P4P+ returned to them, and re-insured my replacement no problem. My agent is in Greensboro, Nc......

Third, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS return to home when it warns you!!! I always watch the green bar that tells me how I am doing for rth time. Also never fly too far. Keep the drone close when the battery is under 60 percent. You might get away with a mile or 2 on 1 battery, but only attempt that if you have 90 or more percent battery. Fly safe![emoji3]
The Smart RTH feature would have you turn around at 65% battery, even on a straight out and back flight. That leaves you with 30% remaining battery upon landing every flight. No way you will realize a 20 minute flight time, let alone 30 minutes following that advice. All of my flights are over 10 miles, and I routinely ignore the Smart RTH. I often land at below 10% remaining battery. It's the only way to get a 23-24 minute flight time. I prefer to land before 10% remaining, but every minute of flight at the destination is precious! However, I know from hundreds of prior flights when to return home on my own, depending upon the wind, distance away, the calculated remaining flight time, the remaining battery percentage, and the elapsed flight time. YMMV! :cool:

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Here's where the problem starts, the apparatus routinely RTH with 38% of battery capacity remaining, and will start the landing procedure when the battery dips below 10%, so if your antenna system is capable of out flying your battery, like the Titan is, your left with either playing it completely safe, and RTH with 38%, or doing some fuzzy math to try to get the most performance out of the apparatus, which is what got me in trouble in the first place. It's a delicate balance, trying to get the most performance out of the battery.

First, you should probably get a Marco Polo drone tracker. The $250 is worth it for a 1500 dollar drone. Second, never panic! If you find you have made a mistake, stay calm. Your phone or tablet will give you a general location of the drone. Third, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS return to home when it warns you!!! I always watch the green bar that tells me how I am doing for rth time. Also never fly too far. Keep the drone close when the battery is under 60 percent. You might get away with a mile or 2 on 1 battery, but only attempt that if you have 90 or more percent battery. Fly safe![emoji3]
Everyone panics at some point... perhaps instead of leaping immediately into full blown panic mode, you might try the modified stationary panic endorsed by the famous author Patrick McManus. ;)

But yeah I understand the sentiment. I've always trusted the AC to let me know when to RTB with the proviso that in windy conditions you should give yourself a nice fat cushion of time if you're returning against the wind.

Here's where the problem starts, the apparatus routinely RTH with 38% of battery capacity remaining, and will start the landing procedure when the battery dips below 10%, so if your antenna system is capable of out flying your battery, like the Titan is, your left with either playing it completely safe, and RTH with 38%, or doing some fuzzy math to try to get the most performance out of the apparatus, which is what got me in trouble in the first place. It's a delicate balance, trying to get the most performance out of the battery.
It's really not fuzzy math. The remaining flight time is pretty accurate. If you fly with OA turned on, to limit full throttle to 30 mph, that is 2 minutes per mile. I use 2.5 minutes per mile because at zero minutes remaining, you are at 0% remaining battery, and Autoland has already kicked in at 10% remaining, adding more complications (OA gets turned off, descent begins, and full throttle will reach 40mph, sending the aircraft past you before you can spot it, unless you let off on the throttle!). Also, 25 mph return speed is a given, even in a moderate crosswind in OA.

So, by monitoring the distance away, you should leave 7.5 minutes for 3 miles away, 5 minutes for 2 miles away, and 2.5 minutes for 1 mile away. To land before 10% Autoland kicks in, add 2.5 minutes to each of those times, as 10% remaining battery displays roughly 2 minutes and 15 seconds of remaining flight time. This also presumes that you smartly flew upwind on your outleg, and are downwind on your return. The closer you are, the more margin you have to dawdle, if you find you were too conservative. Lastly, descending is very flight time consumptive and slow, so while returning, make sure you fly back on a glide path that will arrive just high enough above you to avoid all obstacles along the way, descending as you return, to less than 50 feet above, and well out in front of you, to land manually, after sighting the aircraft, preferably hand catching, as you guide it into reach above and in front of you, while smiling for the camera! :cool:

Last edited:
The standard unmodified controller will fly the Phantom further than the battery can bring it back if you fly in a good interference-free area.
You'll only have those issues if you are trying to set records.
For most users, it's a lot more important to make sure they get their Phantom and the images on the SD card back so it makes sense to use a comfortable safety margin to allow for the unexpected.
You wouldn't find many Cessna pilots aiming to land with 5% fuel left in the tank either.

I would also strongly advise a battery mod for anyone using the Titan, or any other range extender. I even would recommend one for anyone with the stock RC controller. Contact Paul at www.FPVCustoms.com . He does them right! :cool:

I understand why DJI has put a safety margin in, I just don't agree that the aircraft needs to land every time with well over 30% left in the battery. I also understand running the battery under 10% risks damaging the battery. I cancel RTH in every flight I make unless I actually want to pack up and go home. Also, I don't always fly straight in one direction, and then straight back home, and that's how I ended up cutting it so close. The aircraft landed no more than 30 yards away from me, so close I thought it was actually making a complete RTH. This is the only time I've gotten into a jam flying a drone, and I don't blame anyone, except myself.

You should also keep an oar or two in your boat, just in case.

(Just sticking my oar in![emoji6] )

Reactions: Technical Bob
I understand why DJI has put a safety margin in, I just don't agree that the aircraft needs to land every time with well over 30% left in the battery. I also understand running the battery under 10% risks damaging the battery. I cancel RTH in every flight I make unless I actually want to pack up and go home. Also, I don't always fly straight in one direction, and then straight back home, and that's how I ended up cutting it so close. The aircraft landed no more than 30 yards away from me, so close I thought it was actually making a complete RTH. This is the only time I've gotten into a jam flying a drone, and I don't blame anyone, except myself.
I agree with you, but there is no damage to the battery in going below 10% remaining, or even to 0% remaining. The cell voltages never even come close to that level where damage could occur because 0% isn't truly the battery's 0%---it's DJI's artificial 0%. Even at 0%, all four cells still read out above 3.4V on a healthy battery. Like you, I rarely fly straight out and back, so I use the displayed remaining flight time as a gauge of how far off from straight I can meander on the return flight. If I have meandered too much on the out leg, I may have to fly straight home over the last several miles, but I know the area well, and am always flying downwind on the way home. I've never used RTH and always cancel it, if it is ever triggered by a temporary loss of signal. Manual control is always best!

Last edited:
I agree with you, but there is no damage to the battery in going below 10% remaining, or even to 0% remaining. The cell voltages never even come close to that level where damage could occur because 0% isn't truly the battery's 0%---it's DJI's artificial 0%. Even at 0%, all four cells still read out above 3.4V on a healthy battery. Like you, I rarely fly staight out and back, so I use the displayed remaining flight time as a gauge of how far off from straight I can meander on the return flight. If I have meandered too much on the out leg, I may have to fly straight home over the last several miles, but I know the area well, and am always flying downwind on the way home. I've never used RTH and always cancel it, if it is ever triggered by a temporary loss of signal. Manual control is always best!
I appreciate reading your info GadgetGuy! I don't live in a place where I can ever get out that far. Way too hilly in my area. LOL

I appreciate reading your info GadgetGuy! I don't live in a place where I can ever get out that far. Way too hilly in my area. LOL
Happy to give back! Move to higher ground! ;) That's what I did! :cool: Views are also spectacular when not flying! :D Actually, I moved here for the view 16 years ago, and realized it was also optimal for drone flying, when I caught the DJI bug 3 years ago!

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I had a close call today, because I didn't let my P4P come home when it first asked. instead of staying calm, and checking the map, and following it to the drone, I panicked, broke everything down, and went out on my bike to look. I found it in a small field relitively nearby. It decided to land in a safe location, rather than try to RTH. So what I'm asking, is can you track it on the map up to until the battery dies? Thank you in advance, my stupidity could have cost me my P4P, if was any farther away.
I lost mine in a storm and the gps reported last known and two days later, after 4 feet of water went down, I found it in the middle of a corn field. GPS took me straight to it. (Although it obviously was trashed from sitting in the bottom of the water for that two days)

Reactions: Ripper7620
Yea till you use it one time then state farm boots u from pa policy...had it happen to 2 friends already....its a bad deal for state farm
So they paid $60 in premiums, made a $1500 claim and got dropped? They thought they could total an unlimited number of drones for $60?

Reactions: Hounddog
So they paid $60 in premiums, made a $1500 claim and got dropped? They thought they could total an unlimited number of drones for $60?
Likely got dropped by State Farm from any other policies they had with them, too, and may have become uninsurable by many other companies for any type of insurance that all share the same national claims database! It's not the great deal it seems, if you ever file a claim and actually use it! :eek:

$60 a year of State Farm insurance with almost 100% guarantee of refunds>a tracker that has zero guarantees which has higher up-front cost along with higher annual fees.
I ask my State Farm agent about insurance and he said State Farm would not insure drones.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT