if you had to give one up (P3S & Spark)

Reaction score
I sort of asked this question before but in a scenario that wouldn't ever happen (except possible financial hardship) but for those of you who own both. If you had to give up your P3S or your Spark, which would you keep and why? Sorry for all the questions but I'm really close to pulling the trigger on one or the other.

Thanks and the info on this site is AMAZING!

I sort of asked this question before but in a scenario that wouldn't ever happen (except possible financial hardship) but for those of you who own both. If you had to give up your P3S or your Spark, which would you keep and why? Sorry for all the questions but I'm really close to pulling the trigger on one or the other.

Thanks and the info on this site is AMAZING!

Well, I can not attest to the virtues of the Spark, but I can speak for the P3S. I have owned and flown my P3S for over 2 years now and would never dream of selling it. It has been a totally trouble free drone that has really nice 2.7K video. I don't mind the larger platform of the Phantom due to its superior stability in windy conditions over smaller DJI products. I have recently placed it in semi-retirement as I purchased a P4A+ but retain my trusty P3S in case something happens to my new Phantom.
There are always trade-offs but if portability and small hand held size drones are your thing, go with the spark. If you want a rock solid but somewhat larger platform...go with the P3S. Just one mans humble opinion.

Well, I can not attest to the virtues of the Spark, but I can speak for the P3S. I have owned and flown my P3S for over 2 years now and would never dream of selling it. It has been a totally trouble free drone that has really nice 2.7K video. I don't mind the larger platform of the Phantom due to its superior stability in windy conditions over smaller DJI products. I have recently placed it in semi-retirement as I purchased a P4A+ but retain my trusty P3S in case something happens to my new Phantom.
There are always trade-offs but if portability and small hand held size drones are your thing, go with the spark. If you want a rock solid but somewhat larger platform...go with the P3S. Just one mans humble opinion.

Thank you! That was a very thorough reply.

Good morning,

Camera King gave a great response and it really does come down to personal preference. I have owned both and what I can tell you is that I sold my P3S but still own my Spark. I also still fly my Spark even though I have other DJI craft and the one I fly most often is my P4P. The reason I personally would keep the Spark over the P3S is because the Spark gives me basically everything the P3S does, but in a much smaller and more portable package. Some points of comparison:
  • Size and portability: Spark
  • Battery Life: P3S by far. However, I find that I can carry 4 Spark batteries, the Spark, controller, and charger in a "lunchbox" size case. Still beats carrying the P3S. Even though I never had aproblem carrying the Phantom anywhere I needed it.
  • 3-axis gimbal: P3S. There's the big one. I was surprised though that it's not as bad as I thought. The Spark is surprisingly stable and handles the yaw stabilization digitally with great results.
  • Phone/Tablet mount: Spark. I never liked that "potato chip bag clip" on the P3S. The Spark solution for a cell phone is much better.
  • Fun Factor: Spark. Yes this is totally subjective. My biggest surprise when I first got the Spark was how much fun it is to fly. It is zippy and agile (in Sport Mode). It's like a little sports car.
  • Distance/Range: Tie
  • Video/Picture Quality: Subjective. I think I like the default settings pictures and video from the Spark a bit better. Without having to mess with settings or any post work, they just look great!

I kept my P3S. The Spark was fun, briefly. It does everything it is supposed to do so It really is a "buyer preference".
You have to decide what matters most to you. These are my main reasons for keeping my P3S:

No gimble stabilization on the Spark. That was the real deal breaker. (P3S has it)
P3S comes with controller. Spark does not
Better video options with the P3S.
I can "see" the P3S at distance much better than the Spark. ( This was another biggy for my tired old eyes)
Before I had the separate controller for the Spark trying to control it with my cell phone was just no fun at all.
With the separate controller ( not included) the Spark was much more fun.

YOU have to decide what is best for you and how you intend to use it. For a "selfie" drone to pack and take on vacation or on weekend trips with the kids/ friends/ fellow classmates or for social media photos, the Spark may be a better fit.

You will have fun with either one of them if you take your time, read the manual and scan the forums for tips on how not to lose it. Have Fun!!

I have both a Spark and a P3S. I find that they complement each other and I fly both.

If I had to choose, I would probably go with the Spark because it has newer tech and software, but also because it can be easily hand launched/landed. In addition the Spark is the only DJI drone that can be docked via the Charging Station allowing you to recharge a set of 3 batteries and controller or phone while on the go. And you have fold up props that don’t have to be removed every time.

Chris

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic