If you don't have Litchi with VR googles, GET THEM!!

If you guys have a store called 5 and below they have vr goggles in there for $5!! I bought them just to try and they are pretty sweet for $5. I will be trying them with Litchi

Reactions: Storm
Now I'm confused, several people say it's good and a few say video is bad, hmmmmm

Sent from my SCH-I545 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Some people are just more fussy than others, and only the top of the line quality is acceptable. Anything less gets a bad review, IMHO. How many times have you looked at reviews on Amazon and you get good or great reviews (which are close enough), but than get a few saying the product totally sucks, do not buy this product!! On the very same item. I tend to believe the reviews in the middle as more true for me, and cut out the two extremes.

Last edited:
Now I'm confused, several people say it's good and a few say video is bad, hmmmmm

IMO it's more than acceptable. It's obviously much different than looking at the high-quality feed on your phone when flying normally, but it is very much usable---and enjoyable. There is a tiny bit of lag...not too noticeable, but you don't want to try threading the needle as it were strictly via VR mode.

I have enjoyed the VR mode in Litchi with some cheap VR Box goggles and an iPhone 6 Plus much more than my previous experiences with FatShark Teleporters and Predators on micro quad FPV setups (not the best goggles, obviously). The Phantom is used very differently than mini/micro FPV setups, but the VR mode allows you to do some casual FPVing without investing in another platform. FPV is very addicting, however, and you will probably end up spending money to get into that part of the hobby eventually if you try this out!

The VR mode is not meant for shot setup and taking (at least not in my opinion). It is meant to allow users to try something different with their Phantoms. The Litchi app has so many features that make it almost essential for most fliers that there's really no reason not to spend $20 (USD) to get it. Quality headsets can be had for under $20 (USD), so you're out 40 or less if you invest in both. If you don't like the VR mode, you still have access to all of the amazing features of Litchi and you have a VR headset for gits and shiggles offered by current VR apps and videos.

Verizon has told me there still isn't goggles available for HTC phones yet. Can anybody argue that?

Verizon has told me there still isn't goggles available for HTC phones yet. Can anybody argue that?

Most of the headsets I've seen fit phones with screens up to 6" diagonal. I'm not sure what phone you have or what the Verizon rep is thinking about, but your device will probably fit in almost any headset that is adjustable.

EDIT: If you're wanting to use the tab from your sweet transmitter mod pic, that will definitely be too big for current headset offerings!

Most of the headsets I've seen fit phones with screens up to 6" diagonal. I'm not sure what phone you have or what the Verizon rep is thinking about, but your device will probably fit in almost any headset that is adjustable.

EDIT: If you're wanting to use the tab from your sweet transmitter mod pic, that will definitely be too big for current headset offerings!
Appreciate the info! They would need to fit an Android HTC ONE and from what u say sounds like they will. Can u recommend any, say no more than $100 range (no cardboard).

Appreciate the info! They would need to fit an Android HTC ONE and from what u say sounds like they will. Can u recommend any, say no more than $100 range (no cardboard).

From my research, I think Fiit VR and Virtoba X5/BoBoVR Z4 are the best budget VR goggle. They have the best FOV among all goggle under $50.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Ohiowoodsman

As I mentioned before I have a very inexpensive VR Box headset (v2) that I purchased from Amazon, so that's what I'll recommend. There are definitely higher quality headsets out there, but this is a great starter for those just wanting to dip our toes in the emerging realm of VR or to try out FPV with a Phantom before investing in anything more substantial and impressive.

It seems a lot of people find them uncomfortable, but I've not felt any discomfort when using them for FPV. I imagine any headset in the sub-$20 price range would weigh on your face and place uncomfortable pressure on your nose, forehead, and the back of your head if you're watching a movie or multiple videos. Most people would probably have a seizure or vomit before the headset became too uncomfortable to bear if that's what one is using it for, though! ;) For 10-20 minute FPV flights with the P3S, it does its job admirably IMO.

It is most certainly not made of cardboard (ABS plastic with fully adjustable headstrap and lenses), has a 100° FoV (only 2° less than those suggested above), and should easily accommodate your phone. Cheap, freely returnable, and worth trying out IMO.

I don't have experience with any other headsets, but I'm very happy with this cheap option as an intro to VR in general and FPV with the P3S.

I'll attach a couple of pics for reference.

IMG_0907.JPG

[Top view.]

IMG_0906.JPG

[Lenses and padding.]

IMG_0074.JPG

[Max width--iPhone 6 Plus for reference. Note cutouts for multiple types of power cords and headphones.]

IMG_0076.JPG

[Max length--iPhone 6 Plus for reference.]

As I mentioned before I have a very inexpensive VR Box headset (v2) that I purchased from Amazon, so that's what I'll recommend. There are definitely higher quality headsets out there, but this is a great starter for those just wanting to dip our toes in the emerging realm of VR or to try out FPV with a Phantom before investing in anything more substantial and impressive.

It seems a lot of people find them uncomfortable, but I've not felt any discomfort when using them for FPV. I imagine any headset in the sub-$20 price range would weigh on your face and place uncomfortable pressure on your nose, forehead, and the back of your head if you're watching a movie or multiple videos. Most people would probably have a seizure or vomit before the headset became too uncomfortable to bear if that's what one is using it for, though! ;) For 10-20 minute FPV flights with the P3S, it does its job admirably IMO.

It is most certainly not made of cardboard (ABS plastic with fully adjustable headstrap and lenses), has a 100° FoV (only 2° less than those suggested above), and should easily accommodate your phone. Cheap, freely returnable, and worth trying out IMO.

I don't have experience with any other headsets, but I'm very happy with this cheap option as an intro to VR in general and FPV with the P3S.

I'll attach a couple of pics for reference.

View attachment 59862
[Top view.]

View attachment 59865
[Lenses and padding.]

View attachment 59863
[Max width--iPhone 6 Plus for reference. Note cutouts for multiple types of power cords and headphones.]

View attachment 59864
[Max length--iPhone 6 Plus for reference.]
I bought several goggle including the VRBox and it doesn't have good FOV. Check Review: VR BOX II - happyVR for the review.

Reactions: ccbdav

I would say it is worth a try for the price. And for P3S, this is the only option to using VR. Only P3A/P owners have option to use the HDMI module output to Headplay/Fatshark which gives better resolution but it cost 10 times more. No tablet can beat the flying experience of VR goggle which prevent the glare from the Sun. It is like watching a movie with your TV during daytime vs. in a dark theatre room.
For P3S VR flying, it might be better to use DroneVR app instead of Litchi because of the voice command feature. P3S has no custom function buttons so it might be hard to control video/photo capturing.

I bought several goggle including the VRBox and it doesn't have good FOV. Check Review: VR BOX II - happyVR for the review.

I understand you don't like them, and I respect your review/opinion. I am just giving my own opinion based on my experience and usecase.

I used to fly real FPV mini and micro setups, and I find these goggles sufficient for what I want to do with a Phantom. There are obvious limitations with using wifi for FPV flying, but a couple of degrees of FoV is not one of them. Hell, most FatSharks are well below 60° FoV. 100° is more than sufficient for my casual Phantom FPVing and random VR vid viewing. I would definitely buy a much higher-quality product if I were planning to use these for serious gaming or movie viewing.

Everyone has different opinions, wants, and needs. I was just trying to elaborate on what I expect from this limited platform and how this headset performs for me. I still think some folks are under the wrong impression that the VR option in Litchi and other apps is for setting up the perfect shot and/or making precisely framed videos. It most certainly isn't. And no amount of money thrown at goggles is going to change that.

(I am in absolutely no way affiliated with Amazon, VR Box, or any other entity that manufactures, distributes, or sells headsets or apps. This is my unbiased opinion.)

I understand you don't like them, and I respect your review/opinion. I am just giving my own opinion based on my experience and usecase.

I used to fly real FPV mini and micro setups, and I find these goggles sufficient for what I want to do with a Phantom. There are obvious limitations with using wifi for FPV flying, but a couple of degrees of FoV is not one of them. Hell, most FatSharks are well below 60° FoV. 100° is more than sufficient for my casual Phantom FPVing and random VR vid viewing. I would definitely buy a much higher-quality product if I were planning to use these for serious gaming or movie viewing.

Everyone has different opinions, wants, and needs. I was just trying to elaborate on what I expect from this limited platform and how this headset performs for me. I still think some folks are under the wrong impression that the VR option in Litchi and other apps is for setting up the perfect shot and/or making precisely framed videos. It most certainly isn't. And no amount of money thrown at goggles is going to change that.

(I am in absolutely no way affiliated with Amazon, VR Box, or any other entity that manufactures, distributes, or sells headsets or apps. This is my unbiased opinion.)
I understand your point and I am sorry for my comment which sounds like "my goggle is better than yours". I think they are all good and I do agree that couple of degrees of FoV doesn't really make a difference. Again, apologize for my previous comment.

I understand your point and I am sorry for my comment which sounds like "my goggle is better than yours". I think they are all good and I do agree that couple of degrees of FoV doesn't really make a difference. Again, apologize for my previous comment.

Not at all! I didn't mean to sound argumentive either.

Reactions: finalfantasyfan

Alot of great info, time to get the toes wet

Reactions: ccbdav
Is there a recommended model of VR goggles? What app is best to use with them.

I am kind of new to all this VR stuff and want to know all the information before I invest in the Samsung VR goggles!

Hi all - brand new here. Was just killing time and stumbled on this board/thread when I noticed the above post.

I have a set of Samsung Gear VR goggles for the Samsung S6/S6 Edge/etc. I tried them out with Litchi VR last night and learned that the USB plug that's built into them is not a true pass-through plug. It's only wired to supply power to the phone while it's in the goggles. This means that using these goggles isn't quite as plug and play as you may expect, since they require a data connection to the remote (at least on the P4..)

That being said, I believe there is a workaround to make this setup work. I stumbled on a post on a different board (hope crosslinking here is OK since it's not related to this topic..): Gear VR – USB

In a nutshell, using an "S6 size" phone they expanded the clasps that hold the phone in place to the size used for a Samsung note, then they bypassed the internal USB plug by using a right angled micro cable. I rigged this up tonight and was able to duplicate it (physically...) I haven't had time to power up the P4 yet to see if it looks OK, but I'll try to do that tonight.

I wanted to reply while this thread was fresh because I'd hate to see anyone plop down $99 or more for a Gear only to find they have to rig it to make it functional. Depending on the quality I get, I may or may not stay with this setup. It certainly seems functional enough, and there's no technical reason it won't work (aside from alignment, perhaps.) Will let the forum know!

Looking forward to some great VR mode flying together!

--Russ

Hi all - brand new here. Was just killing time and stumbled on this board/thread when I noticed the above post.

I have a set of Samsung Gear VR goggles for the Samsung S6/S6 Edge/etc. I tried them out with Litchi VR last night and learned that the USB plug that's built into them is not a true pass-through plug. It's only wired to supply power to the phone while it's in the goggles. This means that using these goggles isn't quite as plug and play as you may expect, since they require a data connection to the remote (at least on the P4..)

That being said, I believe there is a workaround to make this setup work. I stumbled on a post on a different board (hope crosslinking here is OK since it's not related to this topic..): Gear VR – USB

In a nutshell, using an "S6 size" phone they expanded the clasps that hold the phone in place to the size used for a Samsung note, then they bypassed the internal USB plug by using a right angled micro cable. I rigged this up tonight and was able to duplicate it (physically...) I haven't had time to power up the P4 yet to see if it looks OK, but I'll try to do that tonight.

I wanted to reply while this thread was fresh because I'd hate to see anyone plop down $99 or more for a Gear only to find they have to rig it to make it functional. Depending on the quality I get, I may or may not stay with this setup. It certainly seems functional enough, and there's no technical reason it won't work (aside from alignment, perhaps.) Will let the forum know!

Looking forward to some great VR mode flying together!

--Russ
Russ, we're you ever able to get it to work? I have a galaxy S7.

Sent from my SM-T350 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi All, I revived this because I'm confused, I have a phantom 3 pro, last weekend I proved litchi with VR Googles but I only can move the gimbal up and down. There's any way to make Yaw move with my head?.... I mean.... If I move my head to right... the phantom 3 pro make the move (Yaw move) as well to right side?

I have thought about some googles but if the App crashes then it's a scramble to get the phone out of the googles.I don't think i'm ready for that just yet .

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl