If it wasn’t for bad luck.

Reaction score
Well didn’t last long. Had a really hard landing due to operator error on my part. I was bring the drone down manually and glanced down to hit the land button on the phone and didn’t realize the left stick locked down. Looked up just in time to see the lights go out and gravity take over. Fell from about 30 ft on asphalt so it could’ve been worse if higher up and further away from me and didn’t see exactly where it hit the ground. Actually could’ve caught it if not for total shock of what happened. Didn’t realize stick was locked until after the fact. Good news it will still power up and take off so I assume it will fly although I didn’t really test it just in case. Will probably try tomorrow.

So here’s my question. I broke the gimbal arm which cracked the plate below it(see pic), cable is broke, camera completely off, bottom shell cracked in one spot(see pic), legs are a little bent but not cracked but will replace as safety concern. What all would I actually need to order to fix this thing and get it back in the air safely with a working gimbal/camera?

Thanks in advance for any help. Figured something like this would happen so I’m really glad I didn’t spend more than I did on my first phantom. While still bummed I’m more mad at myself for the stupid mistake, but can’t learn anything without making a few of those.

FC051F1D-6662-4BC5-8562-E35AA4F88492.jpeg
EF8AF293-626E-4FA8-ADA4-C392D266E0D2.jpeg

Well didn’t last long. Had a really hard landing due to operator error on my part. I was bring the drone down manually and glanced down to hit the land button on the phone and didn’t realize the left stick locked down. Looked up just in time to see the lights go out and gravity take over. Fell from about 30 ft on asphalt so it could’ve been worse if higher up and further away from me and didn’t see exactly where it hit the ground. Actually could’ve caught it if not for total shock of what happened. Didn’t realize stick was locked until after the fact. Good news it will still power up and take off so I assume it will fly although I didn’t really test it just in case. Will probably try tomorrow.

So here’s my question. I broke the gimbal arm which cracked the plate below it(see pic), cable is broke, camera completely off, bottom shell cracked in one spot(see pic), legs are a little bent but not cracked but will replace as safety concern. What all would I actually need to order to fix this thing and get it back in the air safely with a working gimbal/camera?

Thanks in advance for any help. Figured something like this would happen so I’m really glad I didn’t spend more than I did on my first phantom. While still bummed I’m more mad at myself for the stupid mistake, but can’t learn anything without making a few of those.

View attachment 122100View attachment 122101
Easy to do ,yip left stick down in that position is for shutting motors off on the deck,you must had hard lead thumb (like lead foot as some say)..Ebay or Amazon or similar sites sell replacement kits and you might find one complete with cam since it to took a knock ..this one I show is Amazon but might be cheaper on Ebay with your $$ currency,,,bummer alright but can easily happen ,pays to try find a set or individual parts cost will add up,,,,man I got fright to see that totally unexpected,,sure I heard you shout....shell should just clip back together with loosening of couple screws
Screenshot_20210519-142038_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: brigerdrones
It was either a lead thumb or stick snagged my shirt. It is what it is. Live and learn. There was no shouting just shock as it fell. Luckily I had brought it down some and was just kind of flying it around low for a few minutes because battery was getting low. At first I thought the battery just died before the phone read it and auto-landed wasn’t til I picked up the pieces that I realized the stick. If it wasn’t for that oh s**t moment I actually could have caught it ☹️
Anyway thanks for the input. I saw that kit the only thing I’m worried about is the plate under the arm being cracked as well. I’m going to try the camera out before I replace. The kit with camera is more than I paid for the drone lol.

Edit: upon closer look. The bottom shell is not cracked it’s just pulled apart at the battery tray. So as long as none of the tabs broke off I might be good there. Won’t know until I take it apart to do the work on the gimbal.

It was either a lead thumb or stick snagged my shirt. It is what it is. Live and learn. There was no shouting just shock as it fell. Luckily I had brought it down some and was just kind of flying it around low for a few minutes because battery was getting low. At first I thought the battery just died before the phone read it and auto-landed wasn’t til I picked up the pieces that I realized the stick. If it wasn’t for that oh s**t moment I actually could have caught it ☹️
Anyway thanks for the input. I saw that kit the only thing I’m worried about is the plate under the arm being cracked as well. I’m going to try the camera out before I replace. The kit with camera is more than I paid for the drone lol.
Can get whole complete kit,,have search Amazon, the price should be cheaper where you are....yes can fly with no cam but no telemetry or re linking available ,,,,mayby buy another cheap p3s for flying and keep yours for parts ,,good luck man ,,bloody bummer,,,,,,,mayby someone here can sort you some spares or complete unit near your location
Screenshot_20210519-143821_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
$289 USD and would still need to get the kit from the first screenshot you sent for another $40. Here’s to hoping the camera’s not busted but took a shot so who knows. If it comes down the needing all of it I may just try to find another P3 deal and either keep this one for parts or fix it later and have 2 to fly. Maybe I could get the wife into it. ?

didn’t realize the left stick locked down. Looked up just in time to see the lights go out and gravity take over. Fell from about 30 ft on asphalt
FYI that left stick down while descending will not stop your motors while in the air. (This is one of the most often asked questions from new pilots).

If your drone shut down and fell from the sky, it was for another reason. For example, were you flying with a low battery? You may want to consider posting the log.

Last edited:
So sorry this happened to you. I feel your pain

Reactions: AirdropFishing

View attachment 122100View attachment 122101
Apparently DJI material is weak, to begin with. I sent my Phantom 4 in for a software issue and got a reply back that a landing gear and the gimbal had a crack in them. Needless to say, I was shocked because the unit had never landed on anything but grass and never a hard landing. So the unit must have come from the retailer with the damage. But it cost me $367 for the repairs and upgrades. Either way, it's not an expensive fix if you do it yourself or send it back to DJI for repair.

FYI that left stick down while descending will not stop your motors while in the air. (This is one of the most often asked questions from new pilots).

If your drone shut down and fell from the sky, it was for another reason. For example, were you flying with a low battery? You may want to consider posting the log

If your drone shut down and fell from the sky, it was for another reason. For example, were you flying with a low battery? You may want to consider posting the log.

I had it hovering while I was looking at the phone and was told while hovering left stick down would allow motors to turn off unfortunately.

I had it hovering while I was looking at the phone and was told while hovering left stick down would allow motors to turn off unfortunately.
Left stick down does not stop the motors until the AC stops descending either by landing or by being hand caught. Then after about 2 or 3 seconds with the stick still down, the motors will stop.

As I noted earlier, the stick being locked down is not why your AC powered down and dropped from 30 feet.

If you are curious about what actually happened, check the flight log. Understanding what happened will help you avoid a repeat. Cheers!

Left stick down does not stop the motors until the AC stops descending either by landing or by being hand caught. Then after about 2 or 3 seconds with the stick still down, the motors will stop.

As I noted earlier, the stick being locked down is not why your AC powered down and dropped from 30 feet.

If you are curious about what actually happened, check the flight log. Understanding what happened will help you avoid a repeat. Cheers!
Looked at the logs the battery was showing 20% Everything else looks like it has on previous flights. Can’t see individual cells but I’m assuming that could cause a power off if one was reading lower than the others.

If repairing make sure the ribbon cable says DJI oem, not FOR DJI. 3rd party don't usually work. P3s parts are cheap but so are the used drones. GL and sorry bout that. Hope you get fishing soon. That left stick lock was discontinued on later models, for good reason.

Looked at the logs the battery was showing 20% Everything else looks like it has on previous flights. Can’t see individual cells but I’m assuming that could cause a power off if one was reading lower than the others.
If you choose to, upload your log to the log viewer following the steps in the link I included earlier in post #6. Then come back here and post a link to the viewer report.

If repairing make sure the ribbon cable says DJI oem, not FOR DJI. 3rd party don't usually work. P3s parts are cheap but so are the used drones. GL and sorry bout that. Hope you get fishing soon. That left stick lock was discontinued on later models, for good reason.
Thanks Capt. I will make sure it’s a DJI cable. I’m looking at my options now. Going to buy the arm replacement and cable first and hook it all up. If camera is trashed I’ll probably by a used P3S and may fix it later or fly without the camera on this one. The main thing I’m worried about is getting telemetry and everything back on the app. Nothing shows up where the gimbal is disconnected so not really safe to fly without knowing critical info, battery level, cant use RTH,etc.

If you choose to, upload your log to the log viewer following the steps in the link I included earlier in post #6. Then come back here and post a link to the viewer report.
Thank you Oso I will look into it later. Heading out to work. I appreciate everyone’s input on this. Me being new to the drone life I need all the help I can get lol.

Reactions: Oso

I thought in the earlier app versions that did happen with the left stick and it was changed. Maybe that was descending with left stick and backing up together. My mind doesn’t retain things like it use to. And that’s not lol. Lol.

I thought in the earlier app versions that did happen with the left stick and it was changed. Maybe that was descending with left stick and backing up together. My mind doesn’t retain things like it use to. And that’s not lol. Lol.
Sounds like you're thinking of the CSC. Originally, the CSC was a near instant shut down of the motors but it was changed with later FW to add a small delay of 2-3 seconds.
The left stick down option has never been able to shut down the motors until the AC has stopped descending either by landing or by being hand caught.

Last edited:
Reactions: WV. Rootman
Seems I have some pretty knowledgeable people and people that have been around a while in this thread, so I’ll ask here first instead of making a new one.

I’ve searched google which pointed me right back here saying that someone at some point in time found a way to fly a P3S without a camera/gimbal and still have telemetry in the DJI go app. Anyone know if/how this would be possible or where I could find info on it? I have searched the forum but no luck so far.

I have another P3S in the works, but I would like to keep this one as well. I’m not 100% sure the camera is actually busted but trying to fix as cheap as possible. Will only be using for LOS flight anyway as this will be my fishing rig so I really don’t have to have the camera on it at all. Would like it to connect to the app if at all possible just more for safety concerns, ease of landing and so that RTH would work. I appreciate any help. If I’m reading correctly signal is carried from WiFi to the drone down to the gimbal and back up to drone. Surely there is a way to cut out the gimbal part of that so it just sends and receives from RC to AC and back.

If not replacing the cam,dont link remote with another or your original p3s wont be able to be relinked to it since cam missing,to my knowledge no cam means no telemetry since it helps power the wifi module,,I have seen a post where one mention bypassing the cam with its large wire plug back into the board but cant find no pictures or info about it,still not sure if that will give telemetry either but might restore live view to a go pro,,this was something I just read so not sure if it's even possible since the OP in question never replyed with update,,,should work fine as fishing drone though,go bit faster to with cam gone,less weight and wind drag,,,,this post below was what I seen..again dont know if works or not
Screenshot_20210521-094211_Chrome.jpg

Thanks I saw that post as well. Going to just order the $40 kit with the gimbal arm and ribbon cable and see if that will work. Even if the camera doesn’t show images maybe with everything plugged back in I’ll at least get the WiFi back working correctly. Then I’ll focus on camera later.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl