I watch and read about antenna mods such as Argtek etc.

Reaction score
Has anyone just moved the internal WiFi plates to outside the Tx case ?

Nigel

Wouldn't gain anything?
The case is plastic.

Rod

Any material causes losses even if small. We are talking about a prettty weak signal especially if like me you are in CE land ...

It was just a thought ... even DJI advise you NOT to cover top ends with hands etc.

Nigel

Correct, I assume the CE part is the TX signal, not the WiFi signals though. If you were to do what you are saying wouldn't be better of with higher gain antenna anyway. Test it with out the back of the remote. :)

I will look for a funny post from the past.

Rod

Correct, I assume the CE part is the TX signal, not the WiFi signals though. If you were to do what you are saying wouldn't be better of with higher gain antenna anyway. Test it with out the back of the remote. :)

I will look for a funny post from the past.

Rod
It's both, the CE vs FCC mode. TX signal, CE=16 FCC=20 WiFi signal, CE=20 FCC=27
A lot of people in CE mode areas think there both the TX numbers.

Has anyone just moved the internal WiFi plates to outside the Tx case ?

Nigel
If your going to the trouble, just upgrade the wifi antennas than.

It was just a question as many times on other items - I've watched people try to extract every last bit of 'power' output ... but there is a saying - "you cannot get more out than you put in".

The RF section of the Transmitter outputs a figure and then the antenna has to radiate that. Any obstruction or orientation will affect the final results.

You could install the highest gain antenna possible but still only have the max possible that the RF section can supply. Good example of this is the CE vs FCC situation.

The replacement antenna's as I see it can only improve the radiation of the available power. Good example here is the Tin Foil and Windsurfer - where like a satelite collector dish - the RF is focused. But therein lies a problem of focusing brings in a greater need for directional control of the antenna.

I'm a cheapskate - I hate spending money. So I like to look at all possibilities in hand before passing hard earned cash to others. If I can get an increase in RF connection by removing obstruction in the path - even small - why not ?
My P3S is showing excellent CONTROL range ... but Video range sucks. Therefore as I see it ... my main centre Antenna is fine, but the two plate antennae are suspect.

Nigel

It was just a question as many times on other items - I've watched people try to extract every last bit of 'power' output ... but there is a saying - "you cannot get more out than you put in".

The RF section of the Transmitter outputs a figure and then the antenna has to radiate that. Any obstruction or orientation will affect the final results.

You could install the highest gain antenna possible but still only have the max possible that the RF section can supply. Good example of this is the CE vs FCC situation.

The replacement antenna's as I see it can only improve the radiation of the available power. Good example here is the Tin Foil and Windsurfer - where like a satelite collector dish - the RF is focused. But therein lies a problem of focusing brings in a greater need for directional control of the antenna.

I'm a cheapskate - I hate spending money. So I like to look at all possibilities in hand before passing hard earned cash to others. If I can get an increase in RF connection by removing obstruction in the path - even small - why not ?
My P3S is showing excellent CONTROL range ... but Video range sucks. Therefore as I see it ... my main centre Antenna is fine, but the two plate antennae are suspect.

Nigel
It may cost a hundred bucks but I have a DBS on my standard and I went from 1000 meters (FCC) to 2200 meters, just saying. Don't think moving those little pads from one side of a piece of plastic to the other side is going to gain you more than a few meters, if any.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

The plastic on the end of the controller is rather thin so i don't see a real benefit to moving the antennas to the outside unless you want to attempt a windsurfer of sorts on them.
I am still in high school and hundreds of dollars to throw at my drone isn't something I have. What I found to have the best price to performance ratio is just some average wifi antennas. It cost me less than $40 for everything and my current record is over 2000 meters away (FCC). I could have flown plenty farther but a mile away is a bit scary.
IMG_2090.JPG

Reactions: Philltayl

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.