I was just checked by a small aircraft!

Ok...I fly my p3s all the time. I take photos of sunsets all the time.
This eve...I went up...and was hovering at about 210ft. All of a sudden...an airplane(single engine) flew by my area. He was quite a ways away...and going away. But then....this pilot decided to turn around....drop WAY down in altitude and he started doing circles and buzzing right over my drone! All I could think was...WHY DO THIS?? Besides the obvious of seeing if I was flying to high. There was no reason to fly around me more than 5...6 times.
I did not know if this guy was going to do something stupid or not...so I just landed and watched him fly over another 2 times. I actually had video going the entire time.
And drones have a bad name WHY? What about stupid pilots? I bet he dropped below 500 ft. easy...and for no reason. I'm hoping I get a knock on my door. They can watch my video and see my telemetry. Sheeeesh.
I'm in a zone where there are small aircraft. But it's not a no fly zone.

I'm an old fixed-wing pilot. He never saw your drone. He was looking at something else.

SB

Reactions: BigAl07
I'm an old fixed-wing pilot. He never saw your drone. He was looking at something else.

SB

Old pilot or old planes LOL! Just teasing ya man :)

Reactions: Sagebrush
Old but not bold. ; )

SB
That's how we get to be old... we "hopefully" outgrow the bold and ultimately out live the bold pilots LOL.

d86bd6abc70e6b112b29819494344b6b.jpg

my p4p lights up the night, during the day the Lume cubes are just as bright.
So I assume it’s possible for pilots to see drones, more so with bright lights.

With 19,000 hours logged- I can assure you that it would be very difficult to visually pick out an airborne drone unless you accidently popped up VERY close. Flying into places like LaGuardia or O'Hare it's often difficult to pick up other jets flying the approach, there's just too much clutter.

Reactions: gsreinke
Helicopters do not have the same height limitations as a fixed-wing aircraft. Helicopters can go below 500' and still follow the rules.
f

Although that is true, fixed-wing aircraft can also go below 500 feet in sparsely populated areas.
“Over other than congested areas – An altitude of 500 feet above the surface except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In that case, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure”

Reactions: kryptek
f

Although that is true, fixed-wing aircraft can also go below 500 feet in sparsely populated areas.
“Over other than congested areas – An altitude of 500 feet above the surface except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In that case, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure”
You are correct, but it is more common to see a heli under 500' than a fixed wing. I suppose those of you in rural areas have crop dusters, bush flights, etc, that will be of concern.

Reactions: BigAl07
You are correct, but it is more common to see a heli under 500' than a fixed wing. I suppose those of you in rural areas have crop dusters, bush flights, etc, that will be of concern.

I was not referring to commonality but the regulations.

Ok...I fly my p3s all the time. I take photos of sunsets all the time.
This eve...I went up...and was hovering at about 210ft. All of a sudden...an airplane(single engine) flew by my area. He was quite a ways away...and going away. But then....this pilot decided to turn around....drop WAY down in altitude and he started doing circles and buzzing right over my drone! All I could think was...WHY DO THIS?? Besides the obvious of seeing if I was flying to high. There was no reason to fly around me more than 5...6 times.
I did not know if this guy was going to do something stupid or not...so I just landed and watched him fly over another 2 times. I actually had video going the entire time.
And drones have a bad name WHY? What about stupid pilots? I bet he dropped below 500 ft. easy...and for no reason. I'm hoping I get a knock on my door. They can watch my video and see my telemetry. Sheeeesh.
I'm in a zone where there are small aircraft. But it's not a no fly zone.
Almost two weeks later and no video. Fake news.

Jeez... NOT FAKE NEWS. I am not uploading video where you cant really even see a plane. Yes its in there but very little of it is seen. Plus uploading a video sucks.
I have thought about it over and over. Answer me this....if you can fly YOUR drone 1000 ft away and still see it...why cant he? During the day ya...it must be tougher (this is why I dont think he did see me) to spot...with no bright lights to see. Especially from above it. I can see if I was at 1000 ft. and he came by low.....but that was simply not the case.

Ive tried to upload video...it keeps freezing for a few minutes...then starts working again...with no video to be found. 1 more try with no words.

See...thats just it. In the video you can barely see the plane. ITS NOT ZOOMABLE 4K. But....did anyone just see that google news photo of the [Language Removed] and the airline? A guy in the jet took a photo of a phantom flting within eyesight!
Now thats just dumb.

Last edited by a moderator:
See...thats just it. In the video you can barely see the plane. ITS NOT ZOOMABLE 4K. But....did anyone just see that google news photo of the ******* and the airline? A guy in the jet took a photo of a phantom flting within eyesight!
Now thats just dumb.
I know just enough about fixed-wing aircraft to be dangerous but I'm having a lot of trouble believing that a jet with flaps up and spoilers retracted is going slow enough for a Phantom to keep up well enough (not to mention be stable near the vortices) to get a clear pic of it. In fact, even with flaps/spoilers I think that would be impossible. But hey, y'all just go right ahead and believe what ya' wanna believe...

Reactions: gsreinke

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94