I was at DJI and they told me not to update firmware!

I was at a DJI retail store. They said a ton of problems happen with new firmware. So if you don't want problems, do not upgrade ever!

Which store, which aircraft? I'm curious, because that statement is obviously, in general, not correct.

Reactions: macaulayjuan
DJI tech support told me to downgrade my P3S because the latest fw is broken with DC NFZ.

P3P is busted too in that regard, but no help with the firmware!

DJI tech support told me to downgrade my P3S because the latest fw is broken with DC NFZ.

P3P is busted too in that regard, but no help with the firmware!
Weird, I am in the latest firmware with my P3S and it's working great. No issues so far.

Nonsense. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it is broke, do fix it.
I agree entirely, if your Phantom is operating perfectly why roll the dice and run the risk of a problem (even if it is only slight). I make sure my internet connection is off whenever I am using Go4 so it cannot force an update or even give me the option.

Latest everything with a P3P and no problems so far.

I prefer to keep things almost up-todate because I use Litchi for most of my flights. Presumably any unexpected error is caught by someone else before me.

I work in IT and there's a saying that hardware eventually breaks and software eventually works. (Firmware is software)

My approach has always been to update the firmware when I buy the bird to whatever is most current. And then I leave it alone unless I run in to a defect. (or want new functions)

I work in IT and there's a saying that hardware eventually breaks and software eventually works. (Firmware is software)

My approach has always been to update the firmware when I buy the bird to whatever is most current. And then I leave it alone unless I run in to a defect. (or want new functions)
I am in the IT field as well but drones are not computers... my work laptop have the latest firmware installed and working great, however... DJI does not always release stable firmwares and I learned the hard way that when they released a new firmware, don't install immediately and wait for other to test it to make sure. Fortunately the latest firmware 1.8 for the phantom 3 standard which I own, have been very stable so far.

Upgrading your firmware gives you a third thing as well. To summarize:
  1. Fixes
  2. Features (new functions)
  3. Improvements.
If you don't upgrade your firmware on a regular basis, you might miss something in either of those categories.
  1. Fixes: just because you haven't noticed it yet doesn't mean it isn't there. You'll feel bad if you crash your craft, then learn that a firmware upgrade would have fixed the condition that led to your crash. In other words, you may benefit from a fix to the cause of someone else's crash.
  2. Features: these don't happen often, but if you don't upgrade regularly, you may not even be aware they exist
  3. Improvements: this is something that happens more often and that most "if it ain't broke" people don't ever realize. They can be adjustments for performance or component protection. They don't qualify as fixes because there was no firmware "bug / defect", but changes in operations have added things like battery and motor protections, usually done due to user feedback (another example of someone else going through the pain that you benefit from).
Most of this goes for the software too (DJI GO).

Speck.

Totally agree. I have the P3P and I'm still on the 2.60 APP./ 1.4.10 AIRCRAFT. 1.3.20 RC.
and it works great for me.. Knock on wood.

I've had no issues with firm ware updates. It might make sense to wait several weeks to make the upgrade but ... most often, with software vendors, I'm sure DJI is included, you will not receive support when your software is generations old. You can usually read in advance what had been added to the updated firmware. Than make a choice.

Reactions: sar104
I've had no issues with firm ware updates. It might make sense to wait several weeks to make the upgrade but ... most often, with software vendors, I'm sure DJI is included, you will not receive support when your software is generations old. You can usually read in advance what had been added to the updated firmware. Than make a choice.
When your craft is generations old, there won't BE any firmware upgrades.

When your craft is generations old, there won't BE any firmware upgrades.

To be clear, a generation for drone software typically lasts a few months. Each new upgrade is defined as a generation. Given the ease of automatic upgrades, most software vendors don't support back level versions. They can't afford to. They are too busy making the next level of firmware to keep up with today's advances in technology.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31