I was at DJI and they told me not to update firmware!

To be clear, a generation for drone software typically lasts a few months. Each new upgrade is defined as a generation. Given the ease of automatic upgrades, most software vendors don't support back level versions. They can't afford to. They are too busy making the next level of firmware to keep up with today's advances in technology.
I think it would be best if you didn't use the term 'generation' like that. Software companies don't. (And as someone said above, firmware == software.) They use the terms 'version', 'revision'; major and minor, like so:

Version xx.yyyy.zzzz

Where
xx = major revision
yyyy = minor revision
zzzz = incremental (typically internal build number).​

More on topic for DJI in respect to their products, a "generation" is typically a HARDWARE revision, such as a shell or motor upgrade on the aircraft, or a newer remote. This is all within a product version name: e.g. the P3P is a P3P, but there have been more than one generation of them.

But I could be wrong.

Chris

I think it would be best if you didn't use the term 'generation' like that. Software companies don't. (And as someone said above, firmware == software.) They use the terms 'version', 'revision'; major and minor, like so:

Version xx.yyyy.zzzz

Where
xx = major revision
yyyy = minor revision
zzzz = incremental (typically internal build number).​

More on topic for DJI in respect to their products, a "generation" is typically a HARDWARE revision, such as a shell or motor upgrade on the aircraft, or a newer remote. This is all within a product version name: e.g. the P3P is a P3P, but there have been more than one generation of them.

But I could be wrong.

Chris

In my 15 years of working with IBM, a software company, we used the term "generation". We also used the terms "major revision" and "minor revision". Of course, I worked for IBM in the 80's. Things may have changed.

You must've worked in marketing because generation is a marketing term certainly not an engineering term I worked at IBM in the 80s and we only spoke of revisions
Usually a generation refers to a whole new type of technology

You must've worked in marketing because generation is a marketing term certainly not an engineering term I worked at IBM in the 80s and we only spoke of revisions
Usually a generation refers to a whole new type of technology

I did work in marketing. Nice company. I sold the first manufacturing industry consulting only project for optimizing a logistics chain for Johnson & Johnson. Now much of their revenue is from consulting. Most of my work was getting IBM on the customer's plant floor.

Most of the firmware problems occur because of the length of time it takes. People don't research the process and after 5 mins of beeping they think there is something wrong. They turn the drone off which causes all kinds of problems. It takes around 20 mins to complete the update. The people at DJI must get exasperated over this.

Last edited:
It doesn't make sense to give updates a bit of time and see what other people experience that's what I try to do

It doesn't make sense to give updates a bit of time and see what other people experience that's what I try to do
If your saying you wait for a bit to see if there are any problems caused by an update, than i agree.

Wow, what a revelation. Computers you say? Huh.

[ taps pencil on desk ]

I had no idea that this is what they meant by 'firm' ware.

Wild, wacky stuff!

Obviously you didn't read the whole thread. That was a direct reply to another post that stated they weren't computers. I hit reply, but for whatever reason, mine didn't attach to the previous post as it should. Smart4$$

You're right, I didn't. Except when I did, last year. And replied, last year (top of this very page). Which you would have known if you had read the whole thread.

Anyway, no harm in answering a question that's already been answered. Better too much than not enough, eh?

I was at a DJI retail store. They said a ton of problems happen with new firmware. So if you don't want problems, do not upgrade ever!

Over time, DJI has done a good job in making their DJI Go 4 App more reliable and more functional. My opinion is that the quotation above was directed at those who are “upgrade phobic” or don’t have the computer technical skills and interest in keeping ALL their systems (drone, RC controller, and device) at the current level. The good news is that the software/firmware is maturing and will someday get to the point when it becomes stable and has all the function any buyer might want. But ... we’re not their yet.

Upgrading your firmware gives you a third thing as well. To summarize:
  1. Fixes
  2. Features (new functions)
  3. Improvements.
If you don't upgrade your firmware on a regular basis, you might miss something in either of those categories.
  1. Fixes: just because you haven't noticed it yet doesn't mean it isn't there. You'll feel bad if you crash your craft, then learn that a firmware upgrade would have fixed the condition that led to your crash. In other words, you may benefit from a fix to the cause of someone else's crash.
  2. Features: these don't happen often, but if you don't upgrade regularly, you may not even be aware they exist
  3. Improvements: this is something that happens more often and that most "if it ain't broke" people don't ever realize. They can be adjustments for performance or component protection. They don't qualify as fixes because there was no firmware "bug / defect", but changes in operations have added things like battery and motor protections, usually done due to user feedback (another example of someone else going through the pain that you benefit from).
Most of this goes for the software too (DJI GO).

Speck.
I think you've been reading too much DJI propaganda !

Their so called "new" features and "benefits" have been far outweighed by new "RESTRICTIONS and LIMITATIONS" in my opinion.

I think you've been reading too much DJI propaganda !

Their so called "new" features and "benefits" have been far outweighed by new "RESTRICTIONS and LIMITATIONS" in my opinion.

It does appear that some don’t understand or know how to use the new benefits. For them, it might be find to remain on a backward, lower function level. What you don’t know won’t hurt you.

On the other hand, for many, as this forum seems to highlight, more restrictions would be critical for DJI to maintain their business (and for most of us to continue to enjoy the hobby) by preventing reckless or dangerous use of drones to the extend that regulations would be tightened.

Thanks DJI for increasing the function and assisting with passive compliance to regulations!

It does appear that some don’t understand or know how to use the new benefits. For them, it might be find to remain on a backward, lower function level. What you don’t know won’t hurt you.

On the other hand, for many, as this forum seems to highlight, more restrictions would be critical for DJI to maintain their business (and for most of us to continue to enjoy the hobby) by preventing reckless or dangerous use of drones to the extend that regulations would be tightened.

Thanks DJI for increasing the function and assisting with passive compliance to regulations!
If they want to stay in the business of selling drones they need to compliance with government regulations around the world. That's the nature of the beast. If they don't compliance with local or regional regulations, the government can block the sales of their products.

Reactions: Russ43Phantom
Funny I've yet to see ANY manufacturers blocked from selling their particular drones, atleast here in the states (which thrives on restrictions in every aspect of our lives).

After flying several different UAV's from various companies, I was actually surprised when I bought into dji and couldn't even start the silly things without an initial forced fw update, registration, etc. What floored me was why I HAD to update a brand new product before I could use it. Imagine buying a new car that had to be updated before you drive it... and if you didn't happen to have the skill set to do everything "just so", you end up with a very very expensive yard ornament. No one would stand for it.

Jus' sayin'...

Funny I've yet to see ANY manufacturers blocked from selling their particular drones, atleast here in the states (which thrives on restrictions in every aspect of our lives).

After flying several different UAV's from various companies, I was actually surprised when I bought into dji and couldn't even start the silly things without an initial forced fw update, registration, etc. What floored me was why I HAD to update a brand new product before I could use it. Imagine buying a new car that had to be updated before you drive it... and if you didn't happen to have the skill set to do everything "just so", you end up with a very very expensive yard ornament. No one would stand for it.

Jus' sayin'...
It's not that unusual for computers to need firmware updates and software updates and lets face it, these drones are like flying computers. As a computer tech some years ago we had brand new Intel motherboards that we couldn't install Windows 2000 on until we flashed the bios with the newest firmware version.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor