I now notify airports before I fly

Reaction score
So the FAA released its app, B4UFLY, which lets you know what airports and/or heliports are within 5 miles of you. Lucky me - I have 5 of them. 1 hospital heliport, 1 private heliport, 2 community airports and 1 New Jersey Turnpike Authority heliport. Boy, are they going to get sick of hearing from me. I work from home and will take time during the day to grab a quick flight frequently. I'll be talking to them at least 5 times a week. Fortunately, the airports are OK with me emailing them in advance.

Since they are a few miles away, their aircraft are above 850 ft until final, which is about 1/2 mile out. If one of their planes is at or below 400 feet where I live, they have much bigger problems than my drone.

The heliports were surprised to hear from me and didn't quite know what to make of my notification. They said thanks and that was it.

Welcome to the new world.

Since they are a few miles away, their aircraft are above 850 ft until final, which is about 1/2 mile out. If one of their planes is at or below 400 feet where I live, they have much bigger problems than my drone.
I have said this verbatim. It's my favorite place to fly, where the planes aren't supposed to be.

Reactions: MrTommy
Weird. The app states Federal law requires model aircraft operators to notify the airport operator and air traffic control tower (if one is present) when operating within 5 miles of an airport. It then lists heliports as airports along with the airports I know.

Weird. The app states Federal law requires model aircraft operators to notify the airport operator and air traffic control tower (if one is present) when operating within 5 miles of an airport. It then lists heliports as airports along with the airports I know.

Yea.. the FAA is a complete mess when it comes to sUAS and there are tons of conflicting information.

How are you finding contact information? I didn't realize I had any, much less 4 within 5 miles?

Government made!
Is conceived and ran by the same IT group that did oversee the ObamaCare page...Any questions?

Reactions: benkey25
Shouldn't that be part of the app? Why have an app with a list of airports that I'm supposed to notify, but not include the contact info?
I believe the assumption is that user would be smart enough to locate local contact info.
The easy part of the app is the five mile radius around no fly zones

I believe the assumption is that user would be smart enough to locate local contact info.
The easy part of the app is the five mile radius around no fly zones
Yep, I am smart enough to find the contact info. I guess I'd think the app would be smart enough to add the contact info, after all it has just about everything except the contact info on the airport. But I guess I'm wrong.

Reactions: SilverStone641
Yea.. the FAA is a complete mess when it comes to sUAS and there are tons of conflicting information.
They write rules for us to follow that they do not support. I called IAD since I'm within 5 miles of them, and they don't answer the phone. I loaded the App, I wish it had a means to notify them, but it does not. Very disappointing. I guess they figured out they did not want to answer when we call because they don't care if we want to fly. Again, Very disappointing.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl