I need some convincing...

Reaction score
Good evening,

I decided upon a budget of $1500 for a drone, for mostly hobby uses but also occasional professional footage.

The for hire work will be pretty simple stuff like real estate, cars on race track, and boats on the lake.

I will not be doing studio production quality stuff, for movies and such. (Obviously with a $1500 Budget this isn't possible.)

Basically this will be for hobby purposes, occasionally making a few dollars to go towards equipment and software.

So I am torn between the DJI Phantom 4 / Pro, and the Typhoon H.

Based upon my intended uses these are my thoughts.

The DJI Phantom has arguably better software, but unquestionably better camera. Which I think is pretty important. I also like the fact that I know people who have experience with the other Phantom drones.

The Typhoon H - I like the 360* Gimbal, the wizard wand, curved cable cam, etc. I also like the fact that the camera can be independently controlled. The fact that it comes with an extra battery and a case @ 1500 is a plus as well.

In your opinions, which drone would you recommend? Or throw out an option 3 if you have one? Is the extra 500 worth the price difference between the p4 and the pro?

Lastly, this will be my first drone, but I am experienced with other RC equipment including non gyro noncollective helicopters and airplanes. So simplicity of use would be a plus.

Thanks in advance,

Lastly, - I am not trolling, I am not trying to get you to defend your decisions. I am asking for your legitimate opinions and input. Oh yeah, I already have my 107 Cert.

Last edited:
Good evening,

I decided upon a budget of $1500 for a drone, for mostly hobby uses but also occasional professional footage.

The for hire work will be pretty simple stuff like real estate, cars on race track, and boats on the lake.

I will not be doing studio production quality stuff, for movies and such. (Obviously with a $1500 Budget this isn't possible.)

Basically this will be for hobby purposes, occasionally making a few dollars to go towards equipment and software.

Based upon my intended uses these are my thoughts.

The DJI Phantom has arguably better software, but unquestionably better camera. Which I think is pretty important. I also like the fact that I know people who have experience with the other Phantom drones.

The Typhoon H - I like the 360* Gimbal, the wizard wand, curved cable cam, etc. I also like the fact that the camera can be independently controlled. The fact that it comes with an extra battery and a case @ 1500 is a plus as well.

In your opinions, which drone would you recommend? Or throw out an option 3 if you have one? Is the extra 500 worth the price difference between the p4 and the pro?

Lastly, this will be my first drone, but I am experienced with other RC equipment including non gyro noncollective helicopters and airplanes. So simplicity of use would be a plus.

Thanks in advance,

Lastly, - I am not trolling, I am not trying to get you to defend your decisions. I am asking for your legitimate opinions and input. Oh yeah, I already have my 107 Cert.

i find it hilarious when people ask these type of questions in a PhantomPilots forum. A place where phantom 4 owners come to help each other out, like we would ever say to get anything but a phantom....Come on man.... Phantom, no brainer

I read the Yuneec forum sometimes for laughs.
Reading a post about what they'd like to see in the next version of their machines, it's pretty clear that what they are flying is vastly inferior to the Lightbridge equipped Phantoms.
About the only feature that the Yuneec has is the cool look of the hex form factor but that doesn't make any difference up in the air.
DJI ticks all the boxes for camera, features, performance, control and range.
There's a reason they have a bigger than 70% market share.
And with the new machines they've just released, that number will probably be growing.

Reactions: Suhail78
i find it hilarious when people ask these type of questions in a PhantomPilots forum. A place where phantom 4 owners come to help each other out, like we would ever say to get anything but a phantom....Come on man.... Phantom, no brainer

I disagree categorically. I participate in a lot of forums, that span a vast degree of fields. I would happily go to any of those to ask for their opinions. Yes, many times the answers have some bias, but they also key you in to peoples opinions on specific issues, after which I make my own decision. If someone just says, go with option A, without explaining their reasoning, I would disregard their recommendation.

I ordered a typhoon and sent it back. Ordered 4P. Here is why.
1. The video display does not have map showing your postition and direction.
2. The fold down legs have wires inthe joints that are exposed to wear when folding.
3. The 360 camera is a no brainer. The Phantom will rotate 360 in place with no problem.
4. The controler is very bulky and heavy.
5. It was not a Phantom.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Flying range is a BIG plus with P4P, don't think twice, go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: sinxa
I am literally not biased even though I own a Phantom and I frequent a Phantom forum. I am all for personal preference. Putting that aside, since you are going to use a drone for play and for work, the best option is the Phantom 4 Pro since it is the latest and greatest prosumer offering from the current king of the drone universe. Many people start out modest in their commercial endeavor, but grow to bigger and better things over time. I believe the Phantom 4 Pro will take you where you want to go for the foreseeable future if you do grow your business above your current business model.

If you can wait for a Phantom 5, supposedly due out next year, may offer a completely new form factor or it may not. But, I bet they do something with the camera to move it forward or something similar to alleviate the prop and prop shadows problem, allowing you to produce a better product for your clients.

The Yuneec Typhoon H can do what you stated above, but as I have said so many times here, it still seems like a top tier drone you would find at a ToysRUs store due to its build quality a lack of sophistication. A generation or two should up its game if you want to wait, but we will see since they don't have anywhere near the money DJI has. Also, since its range isn't so good, you may limit yourself in your commercial pursuits. Good luck with your choice.

Reactions: SteveNPhx
HI,
The Typhoon was also mentioned to me before I purchased a drone! I liked the idea of 6 motors and it could fly with 5 - I will also be dong some commercial work I hope! However I think thats about its only advantage! The controller I thought too Big, the 360 camera as mentioned not an issue and it seems to have more problems as a percentage!
The Cameras seemed about the same, but the P4 had more advantages to me! I brought a P4 and within a week the P4pro was released. After a good look though the reviews and Specs, I sent the P4 back as I know one day I would want to upgrade it!!

The P4pro is a no brainer if you want to do any commercial work - I dont shoot photos commercially, but fairly technically minded. The Actual camera sensor on the P4pro is over 2 x times the physical size and almost double the pixels on the P4 - for this alone its worth it - the Sony 1" sensor fitted is awsome! You will need to spend like $6k+ to get a better drone camera - for now anyway!!

Not biased, never had a drone before, did fly the P4 10 times before returning it and if its anything to go by, the P4pro will smash records at this price!!

DJI Black Friday sale P4 for $999.00, battery $118.00 sales starts soon. It's on the dji site. November 24 - 28

Just got a P4 from Best Buy. My situation is literally the same as yours with some small business stuff like real estate and other misc stuff. Where are you located ? You going after the FAA part 107 for the commercial use ?

Anyway, I can't decide if I want to return my P4 sometime in the next few weeks and get a pro or not. Let me know what you end up doing and why

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

One other consideration that the OP should consider, is customer service/support. I dont have first hand experience with Yuneec's support, but I can tell you that DJI support is horrible. I have been reading the Yuneec forums. I am not picking up any negative comments.

That is one of the benefits of Yuneec as far as I can tell. They are very quick to get replacements/parts sent and have very good support in the US. (I hear Germany is not too good though.)

So honestly that was a bit of a concern, but then again, I am fairly capable with doing most repairs myself. I have built a lot of model airplanes, as long as they would just send me the parts...

I do have my 107 cert already. So that makes things a little easier.

Last edited:
That is one of the benefits of Yuneec as far as I can tell. They are very quick to get replacements/parts sent and have very good support in the US. (I hear Germany is not too good though.)

So honestly that was a bit of a concern, but then again, I am fairly capable with doing most repairs myself. I have built a lot of model airplanes, as long as they would just send me the parts...

I do have my 107 cert already. So that makes things a little easier.

Ability to do repairs is nice, but if you cant find replacement parts you need, you are still stuck. Try and find a WIFI module for a P2 V+!! There are none to be had. They fail frequently. Pretty much only DJI has them, and they wont sell you one. They insist on doing the repair. I know this from first hand experience.

DJI designs the nicest UAV's, no question. Their marketing is top notch. Their ability to meet customer demand (ask those that have preordered the Mavic) is terrible. Their customer support is abysmal. What they deserve is some serious competition. Hopefully Yuneec or Autel or someone else will step up.

Easiest question ever and the answer is P4P. I currently fly P4 I can't upgrade yet because there is nothing wrong with the P4 that I have. P4 is an outstanding reliable machine I love mine. Go DJI they probably have more user flight data than anyone else on the planet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic