I *hate* living near the Airport

Reaction score
You of course can see where I'm going with this as this is the Phantom pilots site....

But even if I'm watching a movie or trying to hold a conversation, when the Jets throttle up everyone has to stop and wait until they are off.

I live less than a mile outside the FAA official 'no fly zone' around the airport and well within the 'we strongly recommend that you do not fly stuff within this circle'.

You should see some of the places to fly around here; cliffs at the ocean, huge open parks - all of them in the path of planes and helos

028501.jpg

I have done some simple testing at my house - no roving the neighborhood or anything but just hovering and the like. Even the 'big' park near my place which is farther away from the airport which is decent for flying is right in the path of constant Cessna traffic as they do a lot of teaching and they are easily 400' and under. sometimes I feel like I could hurl a rock at them - which of course I cant - but I could bonk one really easily with the P3.

Since i got my Phantom a few weeks back I have also noticed a Civil Aviation Patrol truck driving by my house, stopping and looking around....maybe they are on to me?

o_O

anyways, I'm just whining like a spoiled child. Ignore most of what I said and tell me that I'm stupid.

Planning on selling and moving this next year anyways....

Reactions: Badgenes
What about Elings Park to the west? It's beyond the 5 mile limit. They have some large flying club, maybe AMA sanctioned that fly there.

Opps! Never mind. It is a "No Drones Park" even though RC planes are allowed there.

Item 6 recently added here: http://www.elingspark.org/rc-airplane/ Might be for all parks in SB now.

What about Elings Park to the west? It's beyond the 5 mile limit. They have some large flying club, maybe AMA sanctioned that fly there.

Opps! Never mind. It is a "No Drones Park" even though RC planes are allowed there.

Item 6 recently added here: RC Airplane Flying Fields | Elings Park Santa Barbara Might be for all parks in SB now.

Yeah, I do know you can fly there. I didn't know it was a 'lone known no drone zone'.

I can't believe how many things you can't do in parks anymore. You can't even ride bicycles anymore in most parks. I used to get yelled at by the rangers when I used to ride through Griffith Park when I lived in LA. I would literally be a few inches into the dirt and they would drive by and scream at me on their PA's.

When I have time, I usually go up to Parma park which beautiful and usually deserted but it takes ~30 mins to get there.

parma0314_049.jpg

I just need to get further out but as I work a ton and have a 3 year old at home, I don't have tons of time to go fly. Hell I only have one Phantom battery so I get about 20 sometimes 40 minutes a week at best.

@GMack are you a Barbarian?

...@GMack[/USER] are you a Barbarian?

Naw, I used to date a nurse at Cottage Hospital and flew a Cessna into S.B. often when we were dating so I learned the area. I remember the tower there used to send me out over the ocean to spiral up to get over the mountains to head inland. Engine always sounded bad over the ocean. :eek:

Yeah, it is getting difficult to find places to fly drones at, and with even some AMA fields banning them. Almost seems like you are breaking some ordinance almost anywhere now if you do fly it. Have to fly guerilla style now, and be prepared to run! Want to do it legally and comercially with a local film permit is astronomical (cough.. Ventura!)

Naw, I used to date a nurse at Cottage Hospital and flew a Cessna into S.B. often when we were dating so I learned the area. I remember the tower there used to send me out over the ocean to spiral up to get over the mountains to head inland. Engine always sounded bad over the ocean. :eek:

Yeah, it is getting difficult to find places to fly drones at, and with even some AMA fields banning them. Almost seems like you are breaking some ordinance almost anywhere now if you do fly it. Have to fly guerilla style now, and be prepared to run! Want to do it legally and comercially with a local film permit is astronomical (cough.. Ventura!)

A buddy of mine took me my wife and kid up last year in his Cessna....what a blast that was.

The views from up there....

my son who was only about two and a half at the time got invited to give it a go. Man, if he didn't just grab that wheel and have at it. I was terrified, he was so excited I thought he was going to jump out of his skin...

Reactions: turbulence
Eatpasta: Here is the County Ordinance that says what you are not allowed to do in Santa Barbara County Parks:

Sec. 26-22.1. - Model aircraft.
No person shall land, launch or operate any model aircraft, whether gas-powered or electric or other propulsion, within any county recreation area except in posted designated areas or with prior written permission of the director of community services or deputy director.
(Ord. No. 4781, § 1, 3-12-2011; Ord. No. 4833, § 1, 4-10-2012; Ord. No. 4965, § 1, 5-10-2016)

Eatpasta: Here is the County Ordinance that says what you are not allowed to do in Santa Barbara County Parks:

Sec. 26-22.1. - Model aircraft.
No person shall land, launch or operate any model aircraft, whether gas-powered or electric or other propulsion, within any county recreation area except in posted designated areas or with prior written permission of the director of community services or deputy director.
(Ord. No. 4781, § 1, 3-12-2011; Ord. No. 4833, § 1, 4-10-2012; Ord. No. 4965, § 1, 5-10-2016)

So basically I cant legally fly it anywhere but on private property.....super duper

I'm kind of an airplane nerd so I actually consider myself lucky to live where I do, just a few miles away from Paine Field and the Boeing Everett factory where they do final assembly of all their jumbo jets; it's not uncommon to see unpainted 777s overhead at 4000 feet or so. Heck, in a couple of hours from now an AN-124 is probably going to be flying over us! Fortunately we're not directly under the flight path so I can watch them come and go more easily, and more importantly Paine doesn't serve commercial traffic (yet) so it's not a 24 hours a day thing.

As far as flying around the neighborhood, I'm trying to put in for an airspace authorization for just the area over our house, so I don't have to call them every time. (Paine is a Class D/E sfc airfield.) Our county doesn't like flights from its parks, but luckily a few cities near me are more flexible, so I've been able to fly there as long as I call the tower first.

What I really need to do is head northeast a little and into the Mt Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest areas (which unlike National Parks are okay with drone flights as long as you aren't an idiot) to get some really good pictures.

Since i got my Phantom a few weeks back I have also noticed a Civil Aviation Patrol truck driving by my house, stopping and looking around....maybe they are on to me?

The Civil Air Patrol is a civilian volunteer auxiliary of the USAF. It has no enforcement function and has no authority.

Eatpasta: Fly the beach down by Steans Wharf when no one is on the beach. Fly out over the ocean from the dog beach east of the Brown Pelican.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Are they like the Coast Guard auxiliary, they have a radio and a need to be important?
No clue what the Coast Guard Auxiliary is, nor what they might have done to earn your scorn. The CAP's mission is Search/Rescue and youth aerospace education. They do have radios but I don't know anyone at any level of the Civil Air Patrol that does it to "feel important". The vast majority join because of a love of aviation and a desire for valuable volunteer public service.

Whatever...you and your illegal drone activities (if there are any) are safe from the Civil Air Patrol.

No clue what the Coast Guard Auxiliary is, nor what they might have done to earn your scorn...

maybe it was the joke at their expense in BTTF?

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm kind of an airplane nerd so I actually consider myself lucky to live where I do, just a few miles away from Paine Field and the Boeing Everett factory where they do final assembly of all their jumbo jets; it's not uncommon to see unpainted 777s overhead at 4000 feet or so. Heck, in a couple of hours from now an AN-124 is probably going to be flying over us! Fortunately we're not directly under the flight path so I can watch them come and go more easily, and more importantly Paine doesn't serve commercial traffic (yet) so it's not a 24 hours a day thing.
It would be better if there were some interesting planes around. 90% of it is small passenger jets and Cessna, Cessna, Cessna.....the occasional private jet showing off on take off.

Every now and then we will get an Apache, C130....once a year a so we get a B17/P51 show but rarely is it interesting.

Eatpasta: Fly the beach down by Steans Wharf when no one is on the beach. Fly out over the ocean from the dog beach east of the Brown Pelican.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yeah, there are a few deserted beach spots that I will explore. Im not comfortable flying over water yet as I have been having antenna problems but I'll get there.

Hey SB is a beautiful place...

I'm incredibly lucky to live here... we sacrifice a lot to live here though. Every year it makes it less and less worth it as I could sell my tiny condo and move into a mansion in Utah/Wyoming/Colorado/Idaho so all the locals can hate us

The Civil Air Patrol is a civilian volunteer auxiliary of the USAF. It has no enforcement function and has no authority.

So their patrols of my hood are entirely coincidence?

So their patrols of my hood are entirely coincidence?

Likely. They do have marked vehicles, some provided by military and they may take them home too.

I was a 1st lieutenant with them as a safety officer. Auxiliary of USAF and primary mission is Search and Rescue, mostly aerial spotting. People involved who own planes use it as a tax write off too, as well as some "club planes" with many owners. If a S&R is called and the owner's volunteer to search, their gas is provided free by USAF so they can get many hours of flight time in their log books for cheap during a sortie looking for a crash site. People involved with CAP get stuff cheap out of their PX stores on bases too. A lot of youth join too mostly as spotters or plane washers, etc. and gives them ranking points if they enlist in the USAF too.

Likely. They do have marked vehicles, some provided by military and they may take them home too.

I was a 1st lieutenant with them as a safety officer. Auxiliary of USAF and primary mission is Search and Rescue, mostly aerial spotting. People involved who own planes use it as a tax write off too, as well as some "club planes" with many owners. If a S&R is called and the owner's volunteer to search, their gas is provided free by USAF so they can get many hours of flight time in their log books for cheap during a sortie looking for a crash site. People involved with CAP get stuff cheap out of their PX stores on bases too. A lot of youth join too mostly as spotters or plane washers, etc. and gives them ranking points if they enlist in the USAF too.

Gotcha

I was a Major and Mission Pilot for years. Lots of SAR, lots of Cadet flight orientation. Our squadron has a very nice Cessna 172XP. Flying it for missions was free, and was $14/hour wet when taking it out for personal "proficiency" flying, which I did a lot. Instruction and Flight Reviews were provided free. Couldn't fly non-CAP passengers, and had to wear a uniform or flight suit to fly, but it was a LOT of flying for free or for cheap and was a great public service. We did a fair amount of SAR work, most often for lost hikers and missing persons, as well as other flight services for local law enforcement and the DEA doing aerial searches for marijuana grow operations. I never found any crashed planes, but I did chase a fair number of bogus ELT activations.

Nobody ever sent me out looking for illegal drone flyers...that concept is WAY outside the scope of the CAP.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31