I *hate* living near the Airport

Civil Air Patrol doesn't "patrol" anything, so...yes.

I just thought that the Ford Expedition with 100 aerials on the roof, with CAP real big on the door, stopping in front of my house meant something.

:D

I'm just not as special as I thought I was

;)

I thought for sure they had found out about the Bayonets I had put on my P3 for drone fighting

I just thought that the Ford Expedition with 100 aerials on the roof, with CAP real big on the door, stopping in front of my house meant something.

I'm just not as special as I thought I was

;)

I thought for sure they had found out about the Bayonets I had put on my P3 for drone fighting

Yes, I'm sure you were at imminent risk for being arrested and cuffed by a 15 year-old cadet Lieutenant using the CAP's antenna-festooned drone-seeker vehicle that they use for patrolling for drone-rule violators. Or not...

You should be more worried about the black helicopters circling over your house. (If you aren't seeing any, it only means that their stealth technology is effective).

o_O

Yes, I'm sure you were at imminent risk for being arrested and cuffed by a 15 year-old cadet Lieutenant using the CAP's antenna-festooned drone-seeker vehicle that they use for patrolling for drone-rule violators. Or not...

You should be more worried about the black helicopters circling over your house. (If you aren't seeing any, it only means that their stealth technology is effective).

o_O

Gotcha!

I would love if CAP had an option for UAS pilots to get involved.
Anyone interested in this...I'd suggest looking up your closest CAP squadron and talking to their Commanding Officer about just such an activity. Composite squadrons in particular (cadet component) might be very interested in the concept. I wouldn't propose it unless you had credibility (ie..Part 107 license, a real drone, demonstrable experience), but I suspect that most squadrons would be very amenable to hearing about the concept. It could put a very positive spin on the use of drones, educate young people about them, positive press...etc etc etc.

Contact info - find a squadron near you.... Civil Air Patrol - United States Air Force Auxiliary

You of course can see where I'm going with this as this is the Phantom pilots site....

But even if I'm watching a movie or trying to hold a conversation, when the Jets throttle up everyone has to stop and wait until they are off.

I live less than a mile outside the FAA official 'no fly zone' around the airport and well within the 'we strongly recommend that you do not fly stuff within this circle'.

You should see some of the places to fly around here; cliffs at the ocean, huge open parks - all of them in the path of planes and helos

028501.jpg

I have done some simple testing at my house - no roving the neighborhood or anything but just hovering and the like. Even the 'big' park near my place which is farther away from the airport which is decent for flying is right in the path of constant Cessna traffic as they do a lot of teaching and they are easily 400' and under. sometimes I feel like I could hurl a rock at them - which of course I cant - but I could bonk one really easily with the P3.

Since i got my Phantom a few weeks back I have also noticed a Civil Aviation Patrol truck driving by my house, stopping and looking around....maybe they are on to me?

o_O

anyways, I'm just whining like a spoiled child. Ignore most of what I said and tell me that I'm stupid.

Planning on selling and moving this next year anyways....
You might want to try a career as a writer as well. Reading this made me think I was about to hear of a "singular incident" (ala Sherlock Holmes) or some other dastardly event that you were leading us into to grab our attention.

You might want to try a career as a writer as well. Reading this made me think I was about to hear of a "singular incident" (ala Sherlock Holmes) or some other dastardly event that you were leading us into to grab our attention.

I have been published a few times - not in anything particularly note worthy but I write from time to time. Nothing great but thought provoking I suppose.

and thank you

Reactions: Pharm
I have been published a few times - not in anything particularly note worthy but I write from time to time. Nothing great but thought provoking I suppose.

and thank you

You're welcome. I KNEW you had some "writer's blood" in you!

Eatpasta: Here is the County Ordinance that says what you are not allowed to do in Santa Barbara County Parks:

Sec. 26-22.1. - Model aircraft.
No person shall land, launch or operate any model aircraft, whether gas-powered or electric or other propulsion, within any county recreation area except in posted designated areas or with prior written permission of the director of community services or deputy director.
(Ord. No. 4781, § 1, 3-12-2011; Ord. No. 4833, § 1, 4-10-2012; Ord. No. 4965, § 1, 5-10-2016)

A county or city has no jurisdiction over airways. You can fly above a park all you want. Unless the FAA has rules against it. City of Seattle told me I can not fly in their parks. So I take it that I can not land or take off from their property (though it's my property too since i pay taxes, but that's another argument). I will and do fly over parks. I can take off from the sidewalk and walk into the park and do my thing. Then leave the park and land.

The city attorney will have a hard time arguing that his city regulation trumps FAA (federal government).

The airspace above anything (private, city, public, ocean, railroad tracks, etc) is controlled exclusively by the FAA. PERIOD

As far as that model aircraft airpark... i would tell them to go pound sand. How can they tell you what you can and can't do? Are they going to give you a ticket? Call the cops? The cop is going to see other model airplanes flying and going to give you a ticket? for what?

A county or city has no jurisdiction over airways. You can fly above a park all you want. Unless the FAA has rules against it. City of Seattle told me I can not fly in their parks. So I take it that I can not land or take off from their property (though it's my property too since i pay taxes, but that's another argument). I will and do fly over parks. I can take off from the sidewalk and walk into the park and do my thing. Then leave the park and land.

The city attorney will have a hard time arguing that his city regulation trumps FAA (federal government).

The airspace above anything (private, city, public, ocean, railroad tracks, etc) is controlled exclusively by the FAA. PERIOD

As far as that model aircraft airpark... i would tell them to go pound sand. How can they tell you what you can and can't do? Are they going to give you a ticket? Call the cops? The cop is going to see other model airplanes flying and going to give you a ticket? for what?
I suggest that you go ahead and "operate" your drone over the park all you want. You are likely right...you and your attorney might prevail in court, and you might get your (confiscated) drone back. I don't know how much that all will cost you in attorney's fees and time, but it's possible that you'll have the satisfaction of being a successful "test case". Good luck to you. Thank you for fighting that fight for the rest of us.

...or he loses and it sets one hell of a precedent for the rest of us....

There is a big argument in the motorcycle world about being able to use public land. Some bikers feel as if they are 'second class citizens' by not being able to tear up public land, so they do it anyways and what happens is, people string steel wires over the trails and occasionally someone gets seriously hurt or decapitated.

Sometimes it's best to do what's best for everyone even if it sucks and you personally disagree

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj