I fixed the tilted horizon for a dime.

Reaction score
Tried several attempts to fix the tilted horizon on my P3P and after several attempts the typical way, imu/compass calibration/gimbal calibration I ended up using a tiny bit of double sides sticky tape and adhering a dime to the center back side of the camera body. Right in the center. It totally fixed it and now my flights are as level as you could ever hope for. My latest flight with Litchi was just about perfect.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I just placed it center of the camera body on the back, It's rectangular in shape so right in the center with a 1/4 x 1/4 piece of 2 sided sticky tape.

I may have to give this a shot. I've tried everything under the sun to fix the wandering horizon in my P3A to no avail.

I saw someone else use dimes, but I think it was to counter balance their ND filters. I'd like to try it when I can next round out, if this **** rain ever stops...

That's strange as I would have thought to correct a horizon misalignment it would have needed to be slightly to towards the high side.

That's strange as I would have thought to correct a horizon misalignment it would have needed to be slightly to towards the high side.
the issue is that the high side alternates. if it was an issue with just one side, fixing this would be so much easier.

You know, many fellows spend time carefully balancing their propellers. Why not balance the camera? Great idea Marty, I will be checking mine soon.

I wonder if the IMU and gimbal calibration should be done when the propeller hubs on top are level (not the AC legs)? After all, the AC hangs from the props when in action.

I wonder if the IMU and gimbal calibration should be done when the propeller hubs on top are level (not the AC legs)? After all, the AC hangs from the props when in action.
I use a sheet of glass leveled on top of the motor spindles when I do it and I had to balance the camera on my Standard when I tried using the slip on filters . The P2V+ owners know about having to balance the camera and a lot has been posted about it .
I really didn't think it would work with the Pro/Adv till the OP just proofed it .

For out in the field level takeoff get one of these off of ebay, It's a leveling bubble, Satellite installers use them, you can adhere it to the top of the Phantom or just place it dead center and align the bubble in the center circle before take off then pick it up. I use it , it's quick and you can assure your level before arming the motors each flight.
level.jpg

Here's a link on ebay.

I use a bubble level for my telescope. Never thought about using it for the phantom. Im gonna try it out!

Be sure and always check em with another level for those that don't know as all of em are not dead on .
Just saying :)

Reactions: JohnnyB
Out of curiosity I taped a dime to the back of my P3A camera. However I'm a bit scared to turn it on as the dime, not surprisingly, seems to seriously throw off the natural balance of the camera. I'm worried this potential fix could overload and/or put too much stress on the gimbal motors...

Out of curiosity I taped a dime to the back of my P3A camera. However I'm a bit scared to turn it on as the dime, not surprisingly, seems to seriously throw off the natural balance of the camera. I'm worried this potential fix could overload and/or put too much stress on the gimbal motors...
If it frightens you remove it, then all will be better and you will no longer be frightened.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.