I finally made my maiden flight today

Reaction score
After getting my P3P on Monday, I finally got to fly it this afternoon. In between times, I read the manual, taking time to reread and digest the important parts. Then when I was all ready to take my first flight in Beginner mode, I got a message that the remote controller needed an update. I did this very easily from my phone and a couple of minutes I was ready to slide the button to the right on DJI Go and fly into a new world. Soon I was hovering, flying forwards and backwards, turning, taking photos and videos. All no more than about 4ft from the ground of course. And in my large back garden which is enclosed on all 4 sides, minimising whatever wind there was. It was so enjoyable, while scaring the life out of me in case I made a booboo along the way.

So I'm a happy man tonight and more than ready to do a bit more practicing tomorrow.

Just one thing. On the subject of upfates - do I need to update the drone and batteries at the same time as the controller? I read somewhere that I should wait to see what bugs more experienced flyers are reporting before doing so.

do I need to update the drone and batteries at the same time as the controller?
DJI usually does not release just a remote controller update. When they do, all you need to do is follow the prompt in DJI GO to update it.

Whenever a Phantom firmware and remote controller update are released together, you must install the firmware on the Phantom before installing it on the remote controller. If you install the firmware on the remote controller first, the remote controller will not connect to the firmware after it's installed. That's the most important thing to keep in mind when installing firmware.

The battery firmware will be installed on the battery when the Phantom firmware is updated. If you have spare batteries, just insert them into your Phantom and power it up to install the firmware on those batteries. That'll require you to keep the BIN file in the root of your memory card until all batteries have been updated.

If interested, you can find detailed firmware installation instructions here. All should go well if you follow my instructions exactly.

DJI usually does not release just a remote controller update. When they do, all you need to do is follow the prompt in DJI GO to update it.

Whenever a Phantom firmware and remote controller update are released together, you must install the firmware on the Phantom before installing it on the remote controller. If you install the firmware on the remote controller first, the remote controller will not connect to the firmware after it's installed. That's the most important thing to keep in mind when installing firmware.

The battery firmware will be installed on the battery when the Phantom firmware is updated. If you have spare batteries, just insert them into your Phantom and power it up to install the firmware on those batteries. That'll require you to keep the BIN file in the root of your memory card until all batteries have been updated.

If interested, you can find detailed firmware installation instructions here. All should go well if you follow my instructions exactly.

I only installed it on the controller. It still reported that there was an update for the battery and plane, but didn't stop me flying it. I'll try and find where I saw the instructions which say not to update the drone and/or battery until you're sure its safe to do so.

Which versions of the firmware do you see listed in the "General Settings" --> "About" section of DJI GO?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31