HwaYaoTek signal boosters??

Reaction score
Anyone had any experience with "HwaYaoTek" signal boosters and a P4 Pro? Just curious...seems like a good alternative for a healthy signal. Thanks for any feedback

I think I'll wait a while before I mod my P4P+. DJI is still tweaking this one, and it is getting better, IMHO. I'm not sure a mod will be needed.

I have the HwaYaoTek Omni set and directional antennas. They install easily, you don't need a mount, are easily interchangeable and I get better range/penetration than the DJI OEM antennas. DJI subs antenna production out to various manufacturers. HwaYaoTek does not use off-the-shelf WiFi antennas; they design their antennas specifically for the Phantom and Inspire series. There was a test report in each kit that showed the actual dBi of the antenna, as measured by a microwave network analyzer. The omnis were 7dBi and the directional is 12dBi. How much range increase? There are so many factors affecting range, on any particular day, that's too ambiguous to say. I bought them because I am surrounded by 150ft hardwood trees and lost signal quite often with the OEM antennas. With the omnis, I get good signal, no matter where the drone is, in relation to the direction the antennas are facing. The directional antenna really penetrates the foliage. Given the trees and a very windy day, I got almost two miles before losing control signal and still had video feed. I kept increasing altitude as the distance increased, to ensure it stayed within the beam width of the antenna. My final altitude was 1000ft. For $39.95 and $69.95, on Amazon, compared to the cost of similar directional and omni antennas with similar stated dBi and no idea of the actual dBi, they are a great value and they are dual-band 2.4/5.8GHz.

Last edited:
Reactions: Techcop50
I have the HwaYaoTek Omni set and directional antennas. They install easily, you don't need a mount, are easily interchangeable and I get better range/penetration than the DJI OEM antennas. DJI subs antenna production out to various manufacturers. HwaYaoTek does not use off-the-shelf WiFi antennas; they design their antennas specifically for the Phantom and Inspire series. There was a test report in each kit that showed the actual dBi of the antenna, as measured by a microwave network analyzer. The omnis were 7dBi and the directional is 12dBi. How much range increase? There are so many factors affecting range, on any particular day, that's too ambiguous to say. I bought them because I am surrounded by 150ft hardwood trees and lost signal quite often with the OEM antennas. With the omnis, I get good signal, no matter where the drone is, in relation to the direction the antennas are facing. The directional antenna really penetrates the foliage. Given the trees and a very windy day, I got almost two miles before losing control signal and still had video feed. I kept increasing altitude as the distance increased, to ensure it stayed within the beam width of the antenna. My final altitude was 1000ft. For $39.95 and $69.95, on Amazon, compared to the cost of similar directional and omni antennas with similar stated dBi and no idea of the actual dBi, they are a great value and they are dual-band 2.4/5.8GHz.
Is it maybe time for you to become an approved vendor for these products since you are the "authorized dealer" on Amazon that you mention in 90% of your posts since you joined the forum?

Reactions: RonHarper
Is it maybe time for you to become an approved vendor for these products since you are the "authorized dealer" on Amazon that you mention in 90% of your posts since you joined the forum?
Thank you for your advice. I like your R1200.

I bought and received the panel but haven't installed it yet. Not that keen on doing the mod for one and secondly I seem to read that non powered antennas don't usually work well. See what others say before I install.

An antenna's characteristics and design determine its dBi and beam width. When dBi is measured, it is with a microwave network analyzer. That is ideal conditions. In the real world, even the sun can affect an antenna's propagation. Throw in terrain, radio frequency interference, reflections from buildings, trees, electrical interference, and weather, such as fog, and it becomes nearly impossible to compare antennas that are in different environments. If the antenna is poorly designed, an amplifier is not going to correct its inefficiency. You can't just say an antenna doesn't work well, without considering the design and all those influencing factors. If you have a well-designed antenna, that is designed to work as a transmitter and receiver for signals it was meant for, an amplifier will, typically, increase the dBi of the signal. The amplifier must have a limited amount of power (usually 2 watts) to avoid "frying" the receiver in the controller unit. The DJI antenna is meant to provide a usable signal to achieve the distance DJI designed the drone to achieve, under ideal conditions. DJI uses a dipole arrangement of two antennas to increase the range but it narrows the beam width. With a directional antenna, the closer the drone is to you, the more you have to be concerned with it not being inside the beam width. It doesn't mean you'll lose signal; the dBi will be less. You have a directional antenna that is designed to have a dBi of 12 with a beam width of 60 degrees. If your antenna is facing north and your DJI is south of you, there's a pretty good possibility that you will not have a signal connection. An omni-directional antenna, like the DJI arrangement has a greater beam width and a circular wave pattern. In the scenario mentioned, unless there was something between you and the drone, you have a much likelier chance that you will have connection. The compromise is that signal loss is greater than the typical directional antenna. You have to try the antenna in your environment, keeping in mind it needs to be pointed toward the drone and keeping it with the beam width of the antenna, to be able to say it works better than your DJI antennas.

I would be interested in trying these but in your post you act like you are an end user which is very misleading and makes me not trust you or your product. Maybe next time just be honest with who you.

Reactions: JakeMaxxUAV
I am an end user and trust the company, it's engineers, and the products it produces. That's why I became interested in promoting them to other DJI Phantom owners who never heard of the company and going through the process of becoming an Approved Vendor. Anyone who knows the cost of these products from a foreign company, pays for air freight shipping, pays U.S. Customs fees, goes through the headache of the process of selling on Amazon as an authorized dealer of a name-brand product, pays for Amazon's "Fulfilled by Amazon" fees, and then examines the cost, would reasonably tell you I'm not in it for profit. By the way, becoming an Approved Vendor is not free. I don't get paid to endorse the products or the company who manufacturers them. I use the antennas, recommend them and I would gladly recommend other vendors' products that I consider excellent. MaxxUAV, for example, has an excellent setup, using Itelite antennas and Sunhans amplifiers. If you don't like or trust me or my testimonials or the technical explanations I give about antenna design, don't buy the antennas but, at least, read the technical articles that relate to antenna design and performance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic