HOW TO: Monitor battery voltage to watch for signs of failure

You can just turn it on, & leave the motors off too. ;-) and while there,
If, you are using an iOS device for your Go App, you can always also utilize its onboard SIM, as it is very useful in that rainy time of year. . .

Or a very large umbrella. Hahaha

Have fun.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: BigAl07
@GadgetGuy,
They have recently begun finding large pieces of that Malays' flying coffin.
But let's face reality, that plane was hijacked for the gold it carried.
Estimates were $5,000,000,000 ~ $50,000,000,000 in bullion being transported in the cargo hold. We tried to figure it out, by current market standards and actual weight, if it could have been true.
Pretty heavy hauler. . .
I'm Not open for discussion or debate. Old news.
That gold was transported straight up, out into unknown galaxies, far away. (Road work, Paving the streets of a kingdom) ;-)

RedHotPoker

Quick question y'all. Traveling tomorrow trying to discharge one battery to 50% and it's raining today. Any suggestions other than idling the motors in my room?
Just turn the battery on and open up DJI GO with the transmitter turned on and connected. Even without idling the motors, that will run the battery down. You can play in the Simulator, or review the menus, or review any images or video on the micro SD card. It's up to you whether to take the props off. I don't bother.

@GadgetGuy,
They have recently begun finding large pieces of that Malays' flying coffin.
But let's face reality, that plane was hijacked for the gold it carried.
Estimates were $5,000,000,000 ~ $50,000,000,000 in bullion being transported in the cargo hold. We tried to figure it out, by current market standards and actual weight, if it could have been true.
Pretty heavy hauler. . .
I'm Not open for discussion or debate. Old news.
That gold was transported straight up, out into unknown galaxies, far away. (Road work, Paving the streets of a kingdom) ;-)

RedHotPoker
Exactly. It was never meant to be found!:cool: Just like me, if my P3P goes down, after getting video of POTUS golfing! :D

I try to land when battery voltage is 30% (3.71 volts on fastest discharged cell)

Their is a lot of feeling rather than fact on this issue. However the fact that are know is to not store a lipo more than a few day or no more than 10 at full charge as this weekens the cells. Store it at 45-50 percent charge. Next fact is never ever run a lipo down to 0 percent charge as this will definately damage a lipo. Never lower that 8% percent as a lot of folks say. Also after using a lipo. Let it cool for 30 minutes or so before recharging. So don't uncharge don't over charge and don't store at full charge. lipos don't set up a memory like computer batteries so you can top them off anytime before flying without injury. Use the recommended charger and don't leave it on a charger after its charged up. They say after 20 cycles to run the battery down to 8% and the re charge to help level out the cells and to maintain its life cycle.
Anyone else have any fact to add? But that's pretty much it.

Reactions: alokbhargava
What is the breaking process for a new lipo?
While the above are all good suggestions, the fact is that there is no "breaking in process" for the DJI batteries. You can use them exactly as you intend to use them from day one. DJI has never recommended any "breaking in process" and none is necessary. Even the 8% discharge every 20 flights is not for battery maintenance, but only to recalibrate the Smart Battery readouts. Happy flying!

While the above are all good suggestions, the fact is that there is no "breaking in process" for the DJI batteries. You can use them exactly as you intend to use them from day one. DJI has never recommended any "breaking in process" and none is necessary.
Right on. The people who claim there is a breaking-in process are simply stating methods used for other Li-Po batteries. It won't hurt anything if you choose to do it with your DJI batteries, but you're not going to increase the life of the battery by doing it. It's more important to store your batteries correctly.

breaking in batteries was in the old rc days, nicad and nimh batteries.

those rules dont apply to lipo, ands surely not to lipos with smart monitoring...

Just to add a note, when battery reach 60% during flight, take a fast look at single cell voltage to check that they are balanced! If one of them is too different from the others then take bird at home soon. In this case is better to discharge all juice from the battery and recharge not before 30min with low power charger like the original in the p3a.

Right on. The people who claim there is a breaking-in process are simply stating methods used for other Li-Po batteries. It won't hurt anything if you choose to do it with your DJI batteries, but you're not going to increase the life of the battery by doing it. It's more important to store your batteries correctly.
How often are you doing a complete battery discharge?

Sent from my PT beating heart

How do I properly dis charge and check status? Had to send my drone to DJI for repair. Sent with battery installed that had been used during flight that crashed
I have 2 more battery's that I fully charged a few days ago but are going to sit for a month

well after the Hype about the Breaking process good or bad posts, i have found my self qualified to try this method with my new battery as for the old one i did not, and possibly could have maintained it in better health if i did the break in lipo suggested by some very respectful RC experts, so now i am in the process on my 4th cycle using my new battery and i can tell you that i am really feeling the difference, i am now about to post the full comparaison to help others understand if this methods work or not with Smart Lipo battery's, so far in my own experience i cant affirm it totally i am waiting on my 12 cycles to confirm as the old one failed at that ratio following DJI recommendations

What breaking period? Could you explain the process?

Reactions: GadgetGuy
There is no break-in process for DJI batteries.
Thanks msinger!

I just want to make sure I am on the up and up when it comes to storing and usage of the batteries.

Quick question...
So say Im storing for an extended period of time. like say 7-21 days or longer..
Should I always go at like 40%-50%? Or is 30% ok?
I dont plan on doing so as I would rather an excuse to fly lol. (yes I have told my wife I need to go to a park and fly to discharge batts LOL)
But in case this happens... I do have 5 batteries (soon to be 6 when my eBay deal of the day arrives)
So keeping track of them is a must.. I can easily see one being over looked if I do several short flights etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers