HOW TO: Monitor battery voltage to watch for signs of failure

I can only report what I found for my 3 batterys tested ... all 3 had a cell go below 3.0V ..... and it appeared that the FW worked on 12V total instead of individual cell ....

As I said in the post - this is what I saw. It may not correspond to what another finds. I also strongly advise others not to do the test - you could end up with a $140 brick for disposal.

I know I have had some argue with me about this and also the TOP end full charge status - again - I say what I got in testing.... others may get different.

The main thing is to maintain the batterys in reasonable manner and not over-discharge. I try to stay around the 30% mark max to land. Only if absolutely necessary do I go below that 30% warning .... and even then I avoid 20% like the plague !

Nigel
Thanks for clarifying your findings. Myself, on the newer P4P batteries, I take them down below 10% on almost every flight with no adverse effects. However, their 0% is likely the 10% on the P3 batteries, as they are very conservative, and are still at 3.6V per cell at 0%!

That's good ...

Of course when a LiPo or any other battery for that matters is under load - ie in our case Flight - the voltage then is less than measured at rest.
It is likely that your 3.6V is really 3.3V or less when flying .... cells recover once landed and rested to show 3.6V.

Note that I was external manual means to force the P3 batterys down to 0% level ... yes I was that serious to find out the results.

I am interested : When your P4 is sitting on ground after flight ... idle ... showing 3.6V - does it show 0% then ? Or is the 0% shown when you are flying and landing ... ie when load is on the battery ? If so what voltage is shown then during that landing at 0% ?
Reason I ask is that if 0% is 3.6v - then that is a significant early cut off compared to usual LiPo usage.

0% rested on the P3 is 3.0v per cell or 12v overall. I have reason to believe that long while back in early P3 days that 3.0v was not the setting ... but its not relevant now.

Nigel

That's good ...

Of course when a LiPo or any other battery for that matters is under load - ie in our case Flight - the voltage then is less than measured at rest.
It is likely that your 3.6V is really 3.3V or less when flying .... cells recover once landed and rested to show 3.6V.

Note that I was external manual means to force the P3 batterys down to 0% level ... yes I was that serious to find out the results.

I am interested : When your P4 is sitting on ground after flight ... idle ... showing 3.6V - does it show 0% then ? Or is the 0% shown when you are flying and landing ... ie when load is on the battery ? If so what voltage is shown then during that landing at 0% ?
Reason I ask is that if 0% is 3.6v - then that is a significant early cut off compared to usual LiPo usage.

0% rested on the P3 is 3.0v per cell or 12v overall. I have reason to believe that long while back in early P3 days that 3.0v was not the setting ... but its not relevant now.

Nigel
On the P4 and P4P batteries, there is, indeed, an early cutoff, as you suspected, relative to the P3 batteries. On the P4P batteries, after landing at 0% in the app, voltages were still at 3.65V, after motor shutoff. No opportunity to switch to the battery screen in flight at 0%, while still handcatching after a 23 minute flight! It was not an intentional landing at 0%! :oops:
IMG_9084.jpg

mmmm interesting .....

I'm not sure if I like that or not .. Forced landing at what is basically a low storage level of a LiPo seems to be an awfully early cut-off point. Given that a LiPo still has at least another 0.3V useful voltage ...

Yes interesting.

Nigel

mmmm interesting .....

I'm not sure if I like that or not .. Forced landing at what is basically a low storage level of a LiPo seems to be an awfully early cut-off point. Given that a LiPo still has at least another 0.3V useful voltage ...

Yes interesting.

Nigel
Agreed! Actually, the forced landing can be bypassed with upward left stick to stop the descent. A little stops the descent, a lot still allows for ascension, with full right stick control, too. I have learned to fly the last 2500 feet home under the Autoland algorithm at 10% remaining, if necessary, as my batteries lose capacity, and and I still want to fly just as far as before! :p

Yes the more advanced models allow inter-action with Auto Land ... the P3S much less so ... to my loss !

Regardless of what DJI claim - the P3S in my case refused to allow cancelling Auto Land at even though tab came on screen, totally ignored my interference with landing out once battery got to ~13% ... and at 10% she just went into the river ... Recovered but totally wiped out.

Nigel

Yes the more advanced models allow inter-action with Auto Land ... the P3S much less so ... to my loss !

Regardless of what DJI claim - the P3S in my case refused to allow cancelling Auto Land at even though tab came on screen, totally ignored my interference with landing out once battery got to ~13% ... and at 10% she just went into the river ... Recovered but totally wiped out.

Nigel
The P3P at 0% shuts off in the air! I had a P3P drop out of the sky from 30 feet (it was toast after) while trying to land it with a full 2 minutes left from 100 feet above me. I foolishly wasted time tried to center it directly overhead before the10% autoland kicked in, not realizing at the time that the slow descent would kill the battery, and it is impossible to see directly overhead while looking at the FPV. Better to come in hot as low as possible so you can just grab it out of the air, after letting off on the throttle. Should have just let it land itself on the much larger roof (where it crashed), outside of the much smaller roof deck I was trying to maneuver it to! :eek: Experience is a great teacher! :rolleyes:

Sorry to say it - but relying on altering Auto Land wasted my P3S and I do not wish to test my P3P ... as soon as I get low battery warning - set at 30% ... I am coming in !

Nigel

Reactions: N017RW
Sorry to say it - but relying on altering Auto Land wasted my P3S and I do not wish to test my P3P ... as soon as I get low battery warning - set at 30% ... I am coming in !

Nigel
We used to be able to custom set the critical battery and Autoland to below 10%. Low battery warning at 15% is now also the minimum. The annoying Smart RTH kicks in at 65-70% remaining battery. Let the user decide when to return home, and when the battery is really critical! Guidance is fine, but removing user control over such settings means the advertised distances and flight times will never be achieved! :rolleyes:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1