HOW TO: Measure the wind speed during flight

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
phantomhelp.com
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Why not in Fly app? Mini needs it bad. Lol

Thanks for the ‘heads up’ post.

Does the horizontal speed register when drifting with the wind and no stick inputs?
Sounds like a newbie question... but I never paid attention to it when in ATTI (not often) and in hover.
Usually when I do that I'm looking at the Drone to make sure it doesn't drift into anything....

So- to be clear- we DO get an MPH reading even if drifting with wind in ATTI?
Actually kind of useful ...

So- to be clear- we DO get an MPH reading even if drifting with wind in ATTI?
Actually kind of useful ...
Deleted my previous post cuz I don't know. LOL. Without gps, how? I don't use atti on purpose. Try it.

Too many flyers only realise they are in a strong wind situation when trying to come home after flying off downwind.
If you are concerned about possible strong wind, the simple solution is to try flying into the wind before flying anywhere downwind.
If you know your drone flies at 15 m/s in still air but can only manage 5 m/s pushing against the wind, you've learned all you need to know to decide which direction to fly and/or how far away to fly.

Does the horizontal speed register when drifting with the wind and no stick inputs?

Yes.

Sounds like a newbie question...

It is...<;^)

but I never paid attention to it when in ATTI (not often) and in hover.
Usually when I do that I'm looking at the Drone to make sure it doesn't drift into anything....

I hear ya. But, yes, the telemetry data will report back wind speed. It works kind of like this:

D

Yes.

It is...<;^)

I hear ya. But, yes, the telemetry data will report back wind speed. It works kind of like this:

D
Thx. It’s easy to get complacent flying GPS mode, I forget I need to practice ATTI in case of emergencies. That will be corrected...

ATTI means not that the drone is without GPS data it only doesn't use it for flying. But it can still measure the speed.
So not pushing the sticks it can pretty exactly measure the speed of drifting and after ten or 20 sec this is the speed of the wind.
If I'm not sure to fly or not I just put to hoover the drone above my head and see how it holds the position if not then you'll not fly. For additional confirmation you fly into the wind and see the drone speed. If it can manage only half of its normal speed put it down. The wind will be stronger as the drone going higher.

Yes.

It is...<;^)

D
Great music!

It also helps to do a tiny bit of research before going out. As easy as going to www.windy.com or your local weather & plugging in the zip code of your intended light zone.
Not 100% exact but, certainly in the ballpark whether its going to be 5-10mph or 18-25..... or more.

If there is some wind I always check the UAV forecast which I have at the home page of my phone.
You can set the parameters at which flying is not recomended. It is not really online but useful enough to decide fly or not.
Beside that it shows you also the wind speed for every 100 m up to 1500 m.

Reactions: jephoto
If there is some wind I always check the UAV forecast which I have at the home page of my phone.
You can set the parameters at which flying is not recomended. It is not really online but useful enough to decide fly or not.
Beside that it shows you also the wind speed for every 100 m up to 1500 m.
Nice resource. To be added to my phone Drone Apps folder...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers