How to know if a mission is too long for my battery? Mapping help needed!

Reaction score
I am using the Litchi app to video back and forth in a grid pattern over 40 acres of land, at about 125 ft. altitude. How do I know if what I am doing is "too" long of a flight plan? I will be traveling fairly slow, about 7 mph.

If I run it through Google Earth and watch it, does it travel at the appropriate speed, assuming little wind?

And assuming I need to plan more than one flight, so that I can continue with the grid pattern, will it start fairly accurately at a way point from the first flight? (I want to take the video and put it in Microsoft ICE for a flat "map", so to speak.)

And....is about 7 mph video appropriate for stitching software? Could I go faster? (mind as well ask....)

Any ideas would be very much appreciated!

On my Litchi waypoint flights, I go by the distance and time as shown in lower left corner of the flight. That lets me estimate how much battery it will take. It is usually fairly accurate unless there is wind involved.

Good luck,
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: Lindsaybev
Litchi mission hub reports how long a flight will take - that's the best way to assess how much can be completed on one battery.
Wow. I guess I may be a little slower than the rest. I FINALLY noticed it in the purple title above! Thank you so much.

So, in the planning stage, about how much time do you give yourself? 20Min, including the flight path BACK to the starting point?

And if it is a more-than-one-battery flight, is it fairly simple to just return to home, and copy on of the last coordinates for the second flight?

Lastly, if you have used Microsoft ICE...how slow or fast may I travel?

Best regards! -Lindsay

Last edited:
On my Litchi waypoint flights, I go by the distance and time as shown in lower left corner of the flight. That lets me estimate how much battery it will take. It is usually fairly accurate unless there is wind involved.

Good luck,
Jim
WA5TEF
Thank you so much.

Wow. I guess I may be a little slower than the rest. I FINALLY noticed it in the purple title above! Thank you.

It's not totally reliable though. For example, if you set the mission to pause at each waypoint then it will take that into account. On the other hand, if you don't set any explicit pause, but set "Take Photo" as the action, then the aircraft will slow to a stop to take the photo before moving off again. That is not factored in to the flight duration estimate.

I am using the Litchi app to video back and forth in a grid pattern over 40 acres of land, at about 125 ft. altitude. How do I know if what I am doing is "too" long of a flight plan? I will be traveling fairly slow, about 7 mph.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated!

When I'm in doubt, I always fly the mission manually first using the dji go app to gauge how much juice is required for the mission. But always take into account the wind factor. Do you have a way to fly the mission manually first?. If that's note the case then you have to follow what Litchi suggests but give yourself some extra room in regards of battery juice.

Anyway even in litchi , the bird will go home and quit the mission if the battery does not have enough juice to complete the mission

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31